The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:13:08 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  The meaning of life
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: The meaning of life  (Read 4304 times)
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: The meaning of life
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2017, 08:30:38 pm »

1) By taking less you just get some close eyed visuals, nothing more. The mystic experience you talk about is then never there.

Not exactly. I have probably used magic mushrooms more than 100 times, and I have only had very bad experiences at very high doses. I have had plenty of insightful introspective experiences at "moderately high" doses.  I think bad experiences also often are related to physical discomfort. For example, if you get very nauseous from the way you consume mushrooms, it might increase the likelihood of a bad experience. There are things you can mix the mushrooms with, to make yourself less nauseous.

I also feel like I got very little insight from the bad trips I had at very high doses. So very high dosages should probably be avoided completely.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 08:36:33 pm by Zanthius » Logged
Scalare
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2017, 08:37:02 pm »

The nausea really comes from the way it acts on your digestive system (the same way serotonin does this), and is only present with most people 15 minutes to 45 minutes after consuming. After puking or enduring the nausea it gets a lot better.
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2017, 08:40:29 pm »

The nausea really comes from the way it acts on your digestive system (the same way serotonin does this), and is only present with most people 15 minutes to 45 minutes after consuming. After puking or enduring the nausea it gets a lot better.

Okay, but if you for example grain the mushrooms and mix them in a dough, it will be released much slower in your stomach, because it takes time for your stomach to dissolve the dough. Then you will probably avoid nausea altogether.
Scalare
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2017, 08:47:41 pm »

Okay, but if you for example grain the mushrooms and mix them in a dough, it will be released much slower in your stomach, because it takes time for your stomach to dissolve the dough. Then you will probably avoid nausea altogether.

true, but like spacecake this could lead to overdosing since the effect takes too long to kick in Smiley
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2017, 08:52:09 pm »

true, but like spacecake this could lead to overdosing since the effect takes too long to kick in Smiley

Doesn't take so long if you haven't eaten anything, and I think it takes longer with marijuana anyhow, since it is a less polar molecule. I remember once buying some chocolate cakes with marijuana after eating a dinner in Amsterdam. I thought they had fooled me, because I didn't start to get high before in the middle of the night, several hours after.

When mixing it in a dough and eating it on an empty stomach, you should start feeling the effects after 30-40 minutes. But not like when you make a tea, and get all the effects almost at once. It comes much more gradually of course.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 09:03:21 pm by Zanthius » Logged
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2017, 09:31:28 pm »

The people I know who have had such a mystical experience (most of them on LSD and MXE and MDMA, never on mushrooms) are generally more open minded and less stubborn in such discussions.

I have used MDMA many times when I was in high school. I had a girlfriend who liked that we used it before we had sex. Never had any spiritual experiences that were even remotely comparable to those on mushrooms though.
Scalare
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2017, 09:58:44 pm »

The people I know who have had such a mystical experience (most of them on LSD and MXE and MDMA, never on mushrooms) are generally more open minded and less stubborn in such discussions.

I have used MDMA many times when I was in high school. I had a girlfriend who liked that we used it before we had sex. Never had any spiritual experiences that were even remotely comparable to those on mushrooms though.

If you can get it up while under that influence I applaud your potence Smiley
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2017, 10:20:51 pm »

Another thing, I am not necessarily saying that mushrooms are better to give "mystical experiences" than those drugs. I actually like Ibogaine more than mushrooms. Maybe also Mescaline. Never tried MXE and LSD. And of course they could also give you "mystical experiences" .  I also think different people feel differently about different drugs. So maybe for you MXE is indeed best to give you mystical experiences, but not necessarily for me. The important thing it just that we get mystical experiences somehow I guess. Doesn't need to be from mushrooms, even if I know that they will give people mystical experiences.

The main reason why I advocate for mushrooms, is because they have a low toxicity, and because I have lots of experiences with them. But I am not claiming that they necessarily are the best drug to give you mystical experiences. That could very well be MXE.

Here. I made this just for you:

However, I do not guarantee for the safety of all these drugs. Several people have for example died from Ibogaine. I think mushrooms and LSD have the lowest toxicities, while Ibogaine has one of the highest.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 10:57:57 pm by Zanthius » Logged
Scalare
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2017, 11:19:08 pm »

I think nobody ever died from LSD. Some people (20) died from MXE of which 8 have died from it alone. As said it doesn't combine well with alcohol.
It was actually created quite recently by a guy with an amputated limb who experienced heavy phantom pains, and developed the chemical which really helps against it.
I guess since it's a dissociative, with the most notable effect when you consume it for the first time, being that you experience your hands not being yours anymore, it could also make you dissociate from that amputated limb.
He regrets right now making that after the first death occured. But right now people are researching using small amounts of it to cure depression, for which it works remarkably. It changes something in the working of your brain that makes you let go of things and worry less more easily.
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2017, 11:23:05 pm »

He regrets right now making that after the first death occured. But right now people are researching using small amounts of it to cure depression, for which it works remarkably. It changes something in the working of your brain that makes you let go of things and worry less more easily.

Ok, but wouldn't it maybe be best for people that worry a lot then, and have problems letting go? For example my wife. I almost never worry, and let things go almost too easily.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 11:38:55 pm by Zanthius » Logged
Scalare
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2017, 11:47:36 pm »

Ok, but wouldn't it maybe be best for people that worry a lot then, and have problems letting go? For example my wife. I almost never worry, and let things go almost too easily.

Absolutely! But that you can use it to let go of things also makes it more addictive. You run the risk of taking it after a bad day, to more easily solve that thing in your head.
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2017, 12:34:14 am »

Absolutely! But that you can use it to let go of things also makes it more addictive. You run the risk of taking it after a bad day, to more easily solve that thing in your head.

Yes, this is kinda why I have been a little skeptical about MXE. All NMDA receptor antagonist are anesthetics, and probably therefore a little bit addictive. I also don't quite understand how it can make your memory better. The NMDA receptor is definitely involved in memory, but I thought NMDA receptor agonists (the opposite type of drugs) were used to get better memory, not NMDA receptor antagonist like ketamine and methoxetamine. To help you "let go", also doesn't sound like something that would make your memory better.

Anyhow. Classification of these drugs as either agonists or antagonist might be somewhat misleading. There are often subtypes of receptors and drugs often interact with multiple receptors. So it could very well be that methoxetamine makes your memory better. It is just the opposite of what our current theoretical understanding of NMDA receptor would say. But there is A LOT we don't know about how the brain works. So, since I have never tried methoxetamine, I am going to believe you since you have actually tried it.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 12:37:28 am by Zanthius » Logged
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2017, 11:10:40 am »

Actually, I have a theory of why you might be getting better memory now:

And about letting go. Here is a song about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeARhinr7rY (maybe something people could listen to, while they are in the period for letting go).

When you use methoxetamine to block NMDA receptors, the body might start producing more glutamate. After most of the  methoxetamine has been cleansed from your body, you might still have a surplus of glutamate, which gives you better memory. Be aware though that having an excess of glutamate in your system can be neurotoxic (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excitotoxicity). So getting better memory might come at a price. It might actually kill your neurons.

Excitotoxicity can occur from substances produced within the body (endogenous excitotoxins). Glutamate is a prime example of an excitotoxin in the brain, and it is also the major excitatory neurotransmitter in the mammalian CNS.[9] During normal conditions, glutamate concentration can be increased up to 1mM in the synaptic cleft, which is rapidly decreased in the lapse of milliseconds.[10] When the glutamate concentration around the synaptic cleft cannot be decreased or reaches higher levels, the neuron kills itself by a process called apoptosis.[11][12]
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 03:07:45 pm by Zanthius » Logged
Scalare
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2017, 09:28:10 am »

I think the addiction will be more psychological instead of fysiological Wink.
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2017, 04:13:35 pm »

Here is a modified version of Maslow's hierarchy of needs:

http://www.archania.org/magic_mushrooms_and_the_passion_for_mystery.html

This also makes me think of games full of mysteries (Star Control 2 for example), compared to MMORPG's where the focus mostly is upon character development (self-actualization). That should also make it pretty clear why I am writing in this forum, and not in a forum for an MMORPG. Most of you probably feel a great passion for mysteries, since you were so interested in Star Control 2.

EDIT: I just realized that there are numerous of problems with Maslow's hierarchy of needs. I have now created a completely new version, where I have also changed on the lower levels. The need for community should be very low... just above the need for survival. Humans are group animals. We cannot function properly without community. We wouldn't even have language without community. Also. The "need for community" tends to take precedence over the "need for procreation" among group animals, since it isn't necessarily imperative for all members of a community to participate in procreation. However, there is often tension between the "need for procreation" and the "need for community". Sigmund Freud wrote extensively about this.

I decided to call it "passion for mystery", rather than "need for mystery". Here is a song I like about passion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYiNNlfYAMw
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 11:17:38 pm by Zanthius » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length