The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:35:10 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  MegaMod 0.8.0 Beta Release
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: MegaMod 0.8.0 Beta Release  (Read 8682 times)
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
MegaMod 0.8.0 Beta Release
« on: November 22, 2017, 09:10:22 pm »

I felt like this needed its own, brand new topic because otherwise it would have gotten buried in a 14 page thread of a lot of confusing nonsense about the HD version's 3DO menu.

But anyways, the official MegaMod's unofficial 0.8.0 Beta is here!
With releases for Windows and macOS. Tested in Windows 10 and macOS Sierra.

https://github.com/Serosis/UQM-MegaMod/releases

Takes what I find to be the best of HD, Remix, Extended and rolls it up into my optional cheat system.
Nearly everything is optional and can be turned on and off in the new, more readable options menu.

In time I am sure I'll be able to make the HD version of 0.8.0 but it won't be any time soon.

So please enjoy this new version of UQM!

EDIT:

I forgot to mention that this mod is based off of the latest SVN snapshot of the official UQM code.
So this is the most up-to-date released mod at the moment.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 12:16:33 am by Serosis » Logged

The artist once again known as Kohr-Ah Death 213.

Get your MegaMod HERE
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
Re: MegaMod 0.8.0 Beta Release
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 11:21:59 pm »

Thanks - I'm getting this to try out right now!
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 03:51:55 am »

So awesome!  Thank-you so much!

Also thank-you so much for giving the HD mod an attempt.  Just being able give that work a future on the new code base I feel is really important, and It's great someone can give it a shot.  I just wish there were more of you Smiley

[EDIT]
Just so you know on the mac version at least in 0.8.0, if precursor remix music is used, the text in the slideshow cutscene doesn't display.  The slides do though.  I havn't tried it to see if was any different in windows
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 04:29:14 am by darklord42 » Logged
lostsoul
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 04:27:53 am »

Thank you. Going at it now.
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 06:13:45 am »

So awesome!  Thank-you so much!

Also thank-you so much for giving the HD mod an attempt.  Just being able give that work a future on the new code base I feel is really important, and It's great someone can give it a shot.  I just wish there were more of you Smiley

[EDIT]
Just so you know on the mac version at least in 0.8.0, if precursor remix music is used, the text in the slideshow cutscene doesn't display.  The slides do though.  I havn't tried it to see if was any different in windows

Chances are it will do the same in the Windows version as well.

Does the intro slides have text at all without the Remix addons?

Also remember this is a beta so any concerns you have definitely voice it. Either here or open up a ticket on Github.
As an aside I did absolutely zero testing on Linux. I can't even get vanilla to build in Ubuntu so I don't know how that will fare.

HD mod is a beast. Something that could either take me a solid week of hair-pulling or a year of casual pecking.
The problem lies in how 0.8.0 has changed, copy and pasting the code will simply not do it in this case.

Though it would be interesting to see if I could go about it in reverse and update the HD code to 0.8.0.
But I'm guessing that would be just as difficult.

It really needs a team with assigned roles to get it done within a reasonable amount of time, correctly.

Get your MegaMod HERE
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 06:32:29 am »

Yes the text displays if music is set to 3do or standard.  It's just the remix music for some reason. 

As for a time table, I'm sure everyone will agree, there is no rush.  Don't burn yourself out, If it takes years then it takes years.  I'm sure either way, hair will be pulled, cause that's just the nature of these things..
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 04:54:46 pm »

Just tested it and I get subtitles in Windows and macOS.

See: https://i.imgur.com/mr1lRRG.jpg

Did you check to see if you had all the remix packs installed and you restarted the game after you enabled them in the options?

EDIT:

And for good measure I tested it in High Sierra: https://i.imgur.com/CJGoBcy.jpg
Everything works great.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 07:00:07 pm by Serosis » Logged

Get your MegaMod HERE
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 04:26:27 am »

I've restarted multiple times just in case.  It's probably very likely i have some package I shouldn't have or am missing one.  Here is  a screenshot of the packages I'm using.

Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 06:16:25 am »

Yeah, that's pretty much what I put in there. Do me a favor and check to see if you have subtitles disabled
If that's not it redownload the remix packs. Number 4 is the one with the Intro subtitles so possibly isolate that from everything else to see if it's conflicting.

Get your MegaMod HERE
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 01:05:58 am »

Ah,  Thank-you!  apparently the remix 4 package I had was a different size (somehow it was larger???).  Must have been some odd version I had download a while ago.  Not sure where.
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 05:12:37 am »

How odd.

Anyways, I've started pecking at the HD mod. Starting with all of the options. I'll only be committing compilable changes so it should be interesting to see how it goes.
It shouldn't need to be said but the HD branch of 0.8.0 will be in massive flux and in no way will it be playable any time soon.

Get your MegaMod HERE
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 04:59:09 am »

Holly!  I saw your github page.  Pecking indeed.. That's a lot of lines of code you did in one day.  That's amazing.
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2017, 08:35:19 am »

I get a bit obsessed when it's going well.

As I've said, I'll only commit code that can compile successfully. So far it's been going real good.
My biggest nightmare will be the comm screen stuff, I think.

I thought it would have been the graphics functions but that went surprisingly well.
There might be some problems at the end of it because some of the HD features are already implemented into the 0.8.0 code but in a different way, like forcing the aspect ratio.
No idea how nice that will play with what I'm doing.

Get your MegaMod HERE
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2017, 02:09:46 pm »

That's the problem with two different people working on the same problem.  You get two different answers.  It's a total shame HD wasn't integrated with the master while the project was going on (and when UQM Masters was also getting more development time).   I mean I get that UQM probably sees the project mission as different, but still, a little more flexibility would help with the vibrancy and longevity of the project and any project that spins off it.  But it is what it is.
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2017, 05:51:33 pm »

They were/are trying to get UQM to be as stable and bug-free as possible before they started adding non-vanilla things to the code.
On top of that the devs wanted the code to be non-hacky, which the HD code has a lot of that nonsense.

Especially now that I have to look at it closely I can see why it was never merged in.

Get your MegaMod HERE
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length