The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 09:17:06 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  The MegaMod 0.8.0 has finally arrived!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: The MegaMod 0.8.0 has finally arrived!  (Read 43921 times)
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
The MegaMod 0.8.0 has finally arrived!
« on: January 04, 2018, 03:35:00 am »

After several months of non-stop hair ripping work I've finally completed the penultimate version of the MegaMod.

For those that were following it's been a long journey from having two separate versions, HD & Classic, and creating a custom menu.
This is what I've wanted to do for a long while, which was make a more faithful looking version of the HD mod, or at least a tolerable looking version.

Now I'm no artist but I think I did a bang up job with the tools I had available, just check out those comparison shots.

Anyways, here it is in all its glory:
https://github.com/Serosis/UQM-MegaMod/releases/tag/0.8.0-MegaMod

The artist once again known as Kohr-Ah Death 213.

Get your MegaMod HERE
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
Re: The MegaMod 0.8.0 has finally arrived!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 04:24:06 am »

Happy Days and Jubilation!!

This is just too perfect.  Right before I got snowed in too. Smiley

Tomorrow, I'll see if i can get it running on linux, which I know is a headache for you.

(edit)
just so you know, the hires2x and 4x package links seem to be pointing to somewhere incorrect.

I wonder if the hires2x 4x packages I found on your sourceforge page are correct. they are called uqm-mm-hires4x.uqm and uqm-mm-hires2x.uqm.   The reason why I ask is on the mac version, the HD intro slides do not appear in both 2x and 4x (I've tried 3do music, precursor music, and none)  Oddly enough the precursor music put the 1x slides in the top left corner.

Also the alt info slides do not appear in supermelee in 2x and 4x.

Finally in 4x, this may have been done on purpose idk,  the Awesome cyborg image in super melee doesn't line up like it does in 2x.  It looks cut off.

Just a few nit picks.  Over all, excellent job.  Took me a bit to get on board with the new Korah ship, but now it makes total sense to me.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 05:14:11 am by darklord42 » Logged
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 06:16:47 am »

Ah yes, I forgot to update the links for hires on the site itself. Doy.
Fixed.

Yes the mm-hires packages are the correct packages Though I'll do a bit more testing. Maybe I borked something... Oops.
I just realized when I changed the packages name I had to change it in the base content as well.

i'll be right back.

EDIT:

So I had to grep through all the text files in the game and replace "hires#x" with "mm-hires#x".
I've put up a new uqm-0.8.0-content.uqm for download.

EDIT:

And since I created the macOS package on a remote computer that I now can't log into anymore (internet fidgety at source) I'll have to wait to edit the macOS release.

EDIT:

Oh and yes. The awesome cyborg pictures had to be cut off. It was a design choice at the time. Later down the line I'll go through and "remaster" things as I go.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 06:49:38 am by Serosis » Logged

Get your MegaMod HERE
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 06:44:03 am »

Thanks, that fixed the intro slides.  Super melee alt info slides show up as the origional slides now. not the hi-res ones.  Do note the hi res ones wern't in the original hd beta release.  I think it was in remix though.
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 06:51:59 am »

I think I didn't like them.

I'm not too sure at the moment.

EDIT:

Ah, I didn't want to edit them. Because with the new Mycon and Kohr-Ah ship the images wouldn't have matched up.
Though oddly enough the Kohr-Ah one uses the ship design I chose to replace the old Kohr-Ah as the display but the old Kohr-Ah ship at the top left.

And the macOS release has been updated.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 07:03:10 am by Serosis » Logged

Get your MegaMod HERE
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 02:25:59 pm »

I see.  Personally I'd rather have the minor inconstancy on a couple slides then the hole.  In my mind, it's just a worse offense.  Though maybe we can colorize the Mycon ship to match?  And maybe we can replace that top left Kohr-Ah ship.   I don't have it in front of me anymore as I already replaced the HD pack... I'll see if I can get it and come up with something suitable.

[EDIT]
Ah yes! You're right! We are in luck.  The KorAh slide will be easy to fix,  And in a way we have moved from the Korah being the inconsistent slide to the Mycon.  Mycon will be hard, but I don't know if it's undoable.

Now that I think about it,  Mycon won't be too bad, maybe darken the light parts a little.  Or I could do nothing except replace the top left corner.  To be honest the actual HD ship never matched perfectly with what was displayed close up anyway.  And the differences are minor.  Id almost say

[Edit2]

Here what do you think?

[EDit3]

Sorry, It needed a few more touchups, if you could take another look
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 04:45:11 pm by darklord42 » Logged
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 04:32:27 pm »

Are you going to make this available in the Linux software repositories?
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 04:46:26 pm »

Sorry third time's the charm
made the spots on the mycon more reddish
https://www.dropbox.com/s/97idbpp6fz4nh3e/spins.zip?dl=0

[Edit] Last time I swear.   Grin

Also, it looks like the precursor music overwrites the slides in HD.  I know you mentioned it has it's own slides with timings.  Still wern't you able to do something about that before in 0.7.x?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 05:41:07 pm by darklord42 » Logged
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 06:10:00 pm »

It overwrites the slides because the Precursor music has its own timing for the music.
If I wanted to fix that I would have to house their remix packs on my site.

Thanks for fixing up the Ship images. I'll slap them into the packages in a mo.

UPDATE:

Thinking outside the box, I only have to host the .txt files that have the timings in them.
So that's what I did. Simply slap this tiny file into your addons folder and everything is fixed:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/uqm-mods/files/MegaMod/uqm-remix-timing.uqm/download
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 06:48:30 pm by Serosis » Logged

Get your MegaMod HERE
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 07:56:15 pm »

Heck yes!  Way to kick that box in the ass.
So far everything is looking great!

Still having a heck of a time compiling on linux.  I've tried gcc5, gcc7 and clang and they get hung up on when attempting to compile src/uqm/comm/arilou/arilouc.c   talking about undeclared identifiers

I tried the old gcc 4.2 but, unlike the apple version, it didn't have some features you use.

not that I'm too surprised about clang.  It's usually even pickier then gcc. It's like the build script is missing something.  Do you use the build.sh script to compile?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 09:23:40 pm by darklord42 » Logged
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 10:31:25 pm »

For those that were following it's been a long journey from having two separate versions, HD & Classic, and creating a custom menu.
This is what I've wanted to do for a long while, which was make a more faithful looking version of the HD mod, or at least a tolerable looking version.

Now I'm no artist but I think I did a bang up job with the tools I had available, just check out those comparison shots.

Yours look much more like the original. I don't understand why they made some things look completely different in the HD version. Also, the blue grid behind the companion spaceships looks way too dense and luminous in the HD version, which makes it more difficult to see the ships.
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 12:00:24 am »

Heck yes!  Way to kick that box in the ass.
So far everything is looking great!

Still having a heck of a time compiling on linux.  I've tried gcc5, gcc7 and clang and they get hung up on when attempting to compile src/uqm/comm/arilou/arilouc.c   talking about undeclared identifiers

I tried the old gcc 4.2 but, unlike the apple version, it didn't have some features you use.

not that I'm too surprised about clang.  It's usually even pickier then gcc. It's like the build script is missing something.  Do you use the build.sh script to compile?

I only use the build.sh script on macOS. And even then I don't use the one from my Github source.
I grab the latest "Source without content" from here: http://uqm.stack.nl/files/snapshots/
And swap out its 'src' folder with mine.
Something about the files originating from Windows makes it so some build scripts won't execute.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This also means I have to edit the build scripts while in the VM to brand them with "MegaMod". Thankfully Sublime Text comes in all OS flavors.

There might be a way to fix all of that, I might getting a hand-me-down iMac soon enough so I could get Git going on it and push the build scripts from it and have them keep permissions.

Also as a fair warning Alpha Lyrae Planet 1 is bugged, don't know why but it crashes the game if you linger too long around it.

Get your MegaMod HERE
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 03:31:57 am »

The scripts on your git branch work fine.  You just have to make them executable first.  

to make sure everything in the source directory is executable do:

cd YourSrcRootDir
chmod -R +x *   (This will recursively make everything in the directory and the subdirectories executable)

then you can run
./build.sh uqm
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 11:25:00 pm »

I've narrowed down the problem with Alpha Lyrae. But it's still a very large hallway of what's going on.
The original HD mod does not have the crash problem with Alpha Lyrae but my code is exact to the HD version in the spots where it's throwing the exception.
So, no idea. Hopefully it's only localized to that planet in that star system so I can continue working it out.

EDIT:

It's been fixed. I missed a simple "+ 1" to the map height in 1280x960 that the HD devs added in to prevent exactly that crash.

The Windows installer and binary on Github are updated along with the macOS .dmg file.

UPDATE:

Also pushed the build scripts from my macOS VM so the permissions are now corrected. Now when you clone the repository you don't have to go through the trouble of setting permissions.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 01:20:19 am by Serosis » Logged

Get your MegaMod HERE
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 02:24:11 am »

Excellent!  Those logic errors are the worst... Congrats!

As for the build scripts It's actually fairly standard practice to have to set stuff as executable.  But still that's nice Smiley

Really odd that linux get caught up on that arilou.c file where  OSX doesn't.  It's not like it's complaining about some function that only exists on OSX...  It's complaining about stuff that I would think would be defined in the code.

https://pastebin.com/W98R84VR

BTW, what compiler do you use on Lion?   Doesn't clang mess up the orbit lines? Or was that somehow fixed in 0.8.0?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 02:32:05 am by darklord42 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length