The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:56:46 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  The MegaMod 0.8.0 has finally arrived!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: The MegaMod 0.8.0 has finally arrived!  (Read 43918 times)
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
Re: The MegaMod 0.8.0 has finally arrived!
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2018, 03:40:13 pm »

Would a binary built on Mint even run on Arch?
____

I'd have to weigh the pros and cons but .appimage looks like a great idea.
I already cannibalized a UQM .deb package but having one big file like macOS sounds like a better idea.
Though that leaves the question of whether or not you can modify it after the fact. Like, when you want
to put the optional content in.
____

I've updated the Releases on Github to include my cannibalized .deb package.
Once installed you can run it with 'UrQuanMasters'.

The artist once again known as Kohr-Ah Death 213.

Get your MegaMod HERE
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2018, 08:41:40 pm »

Great I'll give it a try when I get home.

I would expect a linux compiled binary for x86_64 will run on any linux x86_64 system.  It's the dependencies that are the real bane of any distribution, and there are all different systems.  .Appimage was meant to alleviate that.

As for app images and content.  I know they do store app data.  But I'm really not sure.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd expect they would still be able to look on system for the normal data file locations.  E.G. ~/uqm-mm or whatever.  If so, users could put optional content there.

Btw,  I'm at my dad's house and I'm trying it on the family windows machine.  That installer is slick!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 08:58:58 pm by darklord42 » Logged
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2018, 10:08:17 pm »

Also, not a big deal, but just testing options (There are a lot of them after all).  I noticed disabling speech in the options menu doesn't disable speech (The user can always turn the speech volume to 0 but it's there anyway).  I'm using windows at the moment.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 10:11:11 pm by darklord42 » Logged
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2018, 12:22:50 am »

Also, not a big deal, but just testing options (There are a lot of them after all).  I noticed disabling speech in the options menu doesn't disable speech (The user can always turn the speech volume to 0 but it's there anyway).  I'm using windows at the moment.

You gotta restart the game for that to go into full effect.
Same with 3DO videos, music, and Precursor remixes.

The way the devs handled it is that they disable the loading of the 3DO package when you turn the option off.

Get your MegaMod HERE
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2018, 03:09:38 am »

Oh that's right...  Completely forgot.  They should add the warning like when you change music/resolution.  And reword that warning to be more general.  As it is, when you change music, it tells you you changed graphics...

Btw the debian package works great.  Thank-you!  You're right, for some reason Ubuntu doesn't like building UQM...
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2018, 04:59:58 am »

That's something for later down the line. I think HD-Remix was working towards a more generalized, "You changed an important option, time to restart" but I can't remember if it was complete or not.

Get your MegaMod HERE
CelticMinstrel
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2018, 05:37:50 am »

I think a better phrasing would be something like "In order for your changes to take effect, you must restart the game. Would you like to do so now?"

And then execv the process (or whatever, Windows probably needs a different method, and Mac may as well since it's a GUI program) if they choose Yes.
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2018, 06:21:58 am »

Is there a way in C to restart the process after it closes?

I would assume you would need a helper program or script that can be called in such an event.
Though it would be interesting to find out if you could restart UQM from within itself.

Get your MegaMod HERE
CelticMinstrel
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2018, 02:33:35 pm »

Yeah, to restart it after it has fully shut down, you would need to have a helper process (though the helper could be a fork rather than a separate program). However, if you don't need a full shutdown, use execv() or execvp(), which basically overwrites the current process with a new one.

(These are part of a family of functions, but for the purpose of restarting, the v variants are what you'd want since you can pass main's argv to it; I'm not entirely sure what the p means though.)

Note that these functions are defined by POSIX (if I recall correctly), so you can't rely on them being present on Windows.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 02:35:42 pm by CelticMinstrel » Logged
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2018, 10:35:25 am »

Well that was a nightmare joy ride.

Starting a new process while UQM is on its way out is not possible, at least under my knowledge.
____

I never asked before, but how does everybody like the new nebulae?

I created 44 new nebulae for this release using a modified version of wwwtyro's space2d procedural space-scape generator: http://wwwtyro.github.io/procedural.js/space/
My version: http://uqm-mods.sourceforge.net/space2d/

The first 22 were seeded using the filenames, 'nebula-###' and the second 22 were seeded with variations of my username.

Also the code was sorted around so the nebulae are displayed on top of the star background instead of behind it. This allows the nebulae to cover stars in a more "realistic" manner.
Then I made the nebulae pretty laid back in an attempt to not really obscure anything.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 02:18:27 pm by Serosis » Logged

Get your MegaMod HERE
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2018, 01:50:33 am »

Absolutely love them!  Great job!  That's a really neat program.

Shame they didn't plan it to reload the content files upon exit of the options menu, but I guess this was easier.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 01:54:31 am by darklord42 » Logged
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2018, 03:44:42 am »

That's an idea.

Also, if you want to redownload the base content and whatever hires pack you're using I've swapped out the Melnorme alien graphics with the graphics from the Alpha version of the HD mod.
No more orange peel Melnorme:

____

The interesting bit is if I have the content reloaded upon changing settings it partially works.
Will keep testing.
____

Well it doesn't like to reload content, any of it. It likes it better than trying to open up another instance of itself but the graphics take the hit no matter which addon is reloaded.
Something either prevents content loading or draws over a good chunk of the graphics. But the content *does* change.

At a loss for the moment but that could change over time.
____

Okay, I can make it so changing the 3DO video, music, voices, and remixes doesn't require a restart. But changing resolution still requires a restart no matter what at the moment.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 05:34:15 pm by Serosis » Logged

Get your MegaMod HERE
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2018, 01:43:32 am »

Awesome!  Even if you don't figure out the resolution, just not having to constantly restart with the rest of them is huge!    I take it to do it with the resolution change you would have to somehow initialize everything then load?  Is that possible or am I full of it? Smiley

Nice find with the HD alpha on the Malnorme.  I didn't even notice there was a change between them.

Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2018, 08:33:33 am »

I think the problem is that I would have to flush and reinitialize all of the graphics at once. It isn't as simple as reloading the content. But I could be wrong.
Someone better at programming in C could come along and point out the simplest of answers.

At this moment when I try to reload content it sort of works, but everything in the sidebar is gone and other, small graphical glitches like the nebulae not reloading to the proper size and the fonts.
I'll keep looking into it though.

I'll make another revision release for all platforms once I'm satisfied that my content reloading trick works with zero unintended effects.

Get your MegaMod HERE
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2018, 12:54:11 pm »

Sounds like it's loading some of the objects expecting a specific size. I wonder,  say you are working with 2x.  Does it display differently from bumping up from 1x than going down from 4x?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length