The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:16:11 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  The MegaMod 0.8.0 has finally arrived!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: The MegaMod 0.8.0 has finally arrived!  (Read 43917 times)
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
Re: The MegaMod 0.8.0 has finally arrived!
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2018, 06:32:23 am »

Not sure if you knew what I meant,
I was referring to the green lettering on the bottom when you select a sound option for instance and says "requires restart to take effect"
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2018, 06:59:13 am »

Ah yes, will do.
____

I'll be making a new release sometime today or tomorrow. Just a heads up.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 07:11:43 pm by Serosis » Logged

The artist once again known as Kohr-Ah Death 213.

Get your MegaMod HERE
Orz?
Zebranky food

Do you want to *squirt*?

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2018, 09:04:52 pm »

@Orz?
I can definitely make an alternate remix pack with just those two songs. I won't even have to change any code.
The package will work even on other versions of UQM that use the Remix packs.

Right, it's nice to have that (uqm-remix-disc2) around as a separate add-on/downloadable for those who don't know how to manually swap the files. However, I was suggesting you could have it as an in-game option alongside all the other extra features (after all, it's minimal enough as to not make a huge impact: just 2 tracks). Or at least, there should probably be some dedicated list somewhere of external add-ons compatible with the game. Same goes for them orange-peel Melnorme Tongue Kinda like how you have old Kohr-Ah and new Korh-Ah ships available (I know one can just simply drop the old HQ Melnorme "comm" .png's into your mod, I'm only trying to simplify everyone else's lives here; since I heard others expressed a certain fondness for the orange-peel Melnormes).

Don't mean to overstep my bounds, it's your project. Just take these suggestions as potential improvements to the mod Wink

On a totally different note: I always felt what would really help Super Melee is if projectiles were recolored in a more contrasting way against the pitch-black starry background of space. Many projectiles are too difficult to see and easy to miss because of this (especially the super tiny ones). Alternatively, they could be given a white outline and that would probably resolve the issue.

Thoughts?

It is better not to *frumple* or else there is so much problems. Better parties in *the middle* for sure.
CelticMinstrel
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2018, 11:19:07 pm »

If you're piling on more and more addon packs, you might as well also include the yellow Kohr-Ah flames? I don't remember where I originally found it, but I got it working and reposted it on this forum in a thread somewhere.
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2018, 10:31:13 am »

@Orz?
I can definitely make an alternate remix pack with just those two songs. I won't even have to change any code.
The package will work even on other versions of UQM that use the Remix packs.

Right, it's nice to have that (uqm-remix-disc2) around as a separate add-on/downloadable for those who don't know how to manually swap the files. However, I was suggesting you could have it as an in-game option alongside all the other extra features (after all, it's minimal enough as to not make a huge impact: just 2 tracks). Or at least, there should probably be some dedicated list somewhere of external add-ons compatible with the game. Same goes for them orange-peel Melnorme Tongue Kinda like how you have old Kohr-Ah and new Korh-Ah ships available (I know one can just simply drop the old HQ Melnorme "comm" .png's into your mod, I'm only trying to simplify everyone else's lives here; since I heard others expressed a certain fondness for the orange-peel Melnormes).

Don't mean to overstep my bounds, it's your project. Just take these suggestions as potential improvements to the mod Wink

On a totally different note: I always felt what would really help Super Melee is if projectiles were recolored in a more contrasting way against the pitch-black starry background of space. Many projectiles are too difficult to see and easy to miss because of this (especially the super tiny ones). Alternatively, they could be given a white outline and that would probably resolve the issue.

Thoughts?

I'm saying nah to more in-game options unless it's absolutely necessary or brilliant.
And there really doesn't need to be an in-game option for something that can be easily added by putting the file in along side the remixes.
Also, I *really* hate touching the menus.

If you're on Windows all of the options will be available in the new installer.
For manual installation and macOS there is a how-to on the main MegaMod website.

For Linux, well, I leave that up to the user to figure out because I barely even know the system myself. Pretty much the GNU/Linux modus operandi.

As far as modding content, I am completely done unless I can see the point of it.
I see the projectile weapons just fine on all three different resolutions, speaking of I have to fix the Dreadnought's fusion blaster.
If you want you can send me your ideas in detail and we can work it out. Show me which weapons you think need better contrast and maybe make a mock-up.

Concerning the orange peel Melnorme, I'm making a package tomorrow when I'm completely done with the code and slapping it in there like the Kohr-Ah ship.
Not doing it with the Arilou though, that was too much of a deviation for me to accept. I would like this version of UQM to stay as close to the original game
as much as possible with the current assets. With the occasional hiccup of recreating some things, like the Arilou comm screen, Arilou homeworld, and the Syreen vault.

In regards to the Yellow F.R.I.E.D. mod I'll see what I can cook up. Was there an HD variation?
If not I'll batch the HD files yellow in Photoshop and turn them into an addon. Should be a 10-15 minute thing.

I may end up pushing the release another day or two because I might be busy for the next few with normal, everyday life stuff.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 10:36:08 am by Serosis » Logged

Get your MegaMod HERE
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2018, 04:01:22 pm »

Sounds good,  That would give time to see if any more issues pop out of the woodwork.  It seems like whenever you put out a release, that's when we find more stuff that needs tweaking.

I'll be honest.  Im not a fan of too many more optional content files.   It just confuses new users..I mean with the Kohr-ah F.R.I.E.D. and same with any other projectile in the game, a new user isn't going to care if it's red, green, blue, or violet.  Do we really need 600 mods changing VUX limpets to pink?  It's this reason why I don't really like offering the old Kohr-ah ship.  It's your mod, you have final say.  And I think your goal of making HD more in-line with the 1x content it replaces, is a fine one.  If one of us old hats really want something, it's not hard to edit the content ourselves.

I myself prefer DCzanick's interpretation of the Arilou background.  It's just more visually interesting.  But I can take the 15 min to put that in the game files myself.  It's only zip compression after all.

But that's my two cents.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 05:51:21 pm by darklord42 » Logged
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2018, 11:34:34 pm »

Restoring things to how they were is hardly an arbitrary goal. I like orange better because that was what I saw when I was 14. I think others agree (aside from the specific age), and there would be much less movement towards making it any other color. There is no slippery slope towards rainbow limpets.
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2018, 12:29:05 am »

Sounds good,  That would give time to see if any more issues pop out of the woodwork.  It seems like whenever you put out a release, that's when we find more stuff that needs tweaking.

I'll be honest.  Im not a fan of too many more optional content files.   It just confuses new users..I mean with the Kohr-ah F.R.I.E.D. and same with any other projectile in the game, a new user isn't going to care if it's red, green, blue, or violet.  Do we really need 600 mods changing VUX limpets to pink?  It's this reason why I don't really like offering the old Kohr-ah ship.  It's your mod, you have final say.  And I think your goal of making HD more in-line with the 1x content it replaces, is a fine one.  If one of us old hats really want something, it's not hard to edit the content ourselves.

I myself prefer DCzanick's interpretation of the Arilou background.  It's just more visually interesting.  But I can take the 15 min to put that in the game files myself.  It's only zip compression after all.

But that's my two cents.

You make a good point but it's not going to turn out like that. I can only justify autoloading so many packages before it becomes ridiculous.
The Yellow F.R.I.E.D. was something that already existed as a mod for base UQM and something that existed in the original PC version so it isn't that big of a deal.
It will never get to the point where there will be multi-colored limpets.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 03:54:09 am by Death 999 » Logged

Get your MegaMod HERE
Krulle
Enlightened

*Hurghi*! Krulle is *spitting* again!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2018, 10:18:48 am »

It will never get to the point where there will be multi-colored limpets.
Great idea! When will that be implemented????

/kicks myself out/
Sorry, could not resist.  ;)
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2018, 12:58:32 pm »

Revision 4 is now up and running for Windows, macOS, and Debian based Linux distributions.  Grin

https://github.com/Serosis/UQM-MegaMod/releases

Get your MegaMod HERE
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2018, 02:53:34 am »

Congratulations!  Grin   I have to say this feels absolutely perfect!  All the hard work really shines.   I'll go spread the word.

Also I love the new layout for the optional content.  That really clears up what otherwise would be a bunch of random downloads.  Just a thought though, you may want to put up a link on the latest github release message.   So people won't have to dig down a 3 or four releases and possibly miss it.

[edit]  I'm sorry to say I found a bug,  I'm currently using Soul Reaver's Melnorme Voice pack.  Unfortunately the number of cost and credtis you get dosn't match.   Say you just sold something for 44 credits, the Melnorme says something like 35 credits.    It's a very odd bug..
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 04:16:03 am by darklord42 » Logged
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2018, 07:22:08 am »

Yeah, I've mentioned that to him. I fixed it and sent him the altered file and I'm hoping he'll throw up a new version of the Melnorme Voice fix for 0.8.0

Also a guy on Discord has been running into a memory leak in TFB_Canvas along with the Infinite RU cheat screwing up when getting to the Chmmr event.

Bugs to fix for the next revision.

Get your MegaMod HERE
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2018, 01:01:46 am »

I see. Anyway you could post that file in the mean time?
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2018, 10:45:47 am »

Yeah, I just put it up on Sourceforge.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/uqm-mods/files/MegaMod/MelnormeVoiceFix.uqm/download

Get your MegaMod HERE
Soul Reaver
Frungy champion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2018, 01:51:35 pm »

[edit]  I'm sorry to say I found a bug,  I'm currently using Soul Reaver's Melnorme Voice pack.  Unfortunately the number of cost and credtis you get dosn't match.   Say you just sold something for 44 credits, the Melnorme says something like 35 credits.    It's a very odd bug..

It seems to have resulted from a change in the way the MegaMod calls string variables during dialogue.  Because my mod was using the original/old formatting, the MegaMod read the .txt file incorrectly after the section where it refers to the string, resulting in it linking the ogg files incorrectly.

Fortunately Serosis noticed the issue and sent me a fixed .txt file with the new formatting for that section.

In the meantime I've repackaged everything and uploaded MegaMod compatible versions to my site.  I've also emailed Serosis so he can update his installer so it will download a MegaMod compatible package.

Go to www.warpstormstudios.com/uqmmod for my dialogue and visual fixes for UQM and UQMHD!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length