The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:15:26 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  About Alpha v0.2: Intro
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: About Alpha v0.2: Intro  (Read 3060 times)
Valtteri
Zebranky food

View Profile
About Alpha v0.2: Intro
« on: April 15, 2003, 05:38:44 pm »

Why there isn't intro in the start? There are still all pictures which has to be in the intro in the folder named intro?

Look behind you! A three-headed monkey!
Paxtez
*Many bubbles*

Joystick Jedi

View Profile
Re: About Alpha v0.2: Intro
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2003, 06:28:14 pm »

They never got around to adding the intro ending.  I think part of the reason was they were trying to see if they could use the movie version for the 3d0 version.  But it looks like they might have it for 0.3 =).

....Paxtez....
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2003, 07:34:53 pm »

The intro and ending have more complicated  animations than just a slide show, and the format is... unique.
Valtteri
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2003, 07:41:35 pm »

Isn't the 3DO-intro same like in PC-version? You talked about slide show and I got image like there's coming to be moving things like in the videos? Then it's probably coming pretty good in The Ur-Quan Masters -game.

Look behind you! A three-headed monkey!
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2003, 09:50:12 pm »

Short summary (this has been discussed to death several times; use the search function to find more info): The 3DO version has some quite nice 3D rendered video in the intro and ending instead of the PC's slide show. If you want to take a look at the videos, you should be able to find them at the Pages of Now and Forever, but be advised that these copies were re-recorded from analogue output from a 3DO.

There are some legal issues with the 3DO videos, so we will probably see the PC version of the intro soon. Could we have a status update on this from the developers, please?

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Chad
*Many bubbles*

PNF Webmaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2003, 11:36:07 pm »

but be advised that these copies were re-recorded from analogue output from a 3DO.

Thats a funny statement... you make it sound like it'll melt your computer down if you download them because I captured them with a TV card? Grin

To the casual user/player and to the folks that want to check out these intros and endings, they are pretty decent quality for the 20-30 Megs.  IMHO that is  Wink

Speaking of "discussing things to death" around here, it seems like half of all the topics that come up have been answered?  Need. a. forum. F. A. Q.  Tongue

"...Dogar And Kazon Clack Their Mandibles Against One Another And Snicker With Amusement."
Nic.

Email
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2003, 12:01:39 am »

Speaking of "discussing things to death" around here, it seems like half of all the topics that come up have been answered?  Need. a. forum. F. A. Q.  Tongue

How gracious of you to offer to write one, Chad!  We accept!  Grin

I'm sure the moderators can be convinced to sticky it once it's posted.
chmmravatar
*Many bubbles*

WHAT IS DONE IS DONE

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2003, 12:24:25 am »

Could we have a status update on this from the developers, please?

Working code exists for the PC intro/outro at this point, and additionally the PC outtakes. However, these will not be integrated into the CVS code base until after the new resource system is completed. The intro/outro and outtakes will probably be in 0.3. However, as I am not on the core team, my opinions do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the core team. It's just an estimate on my part.
Mormont
*Smell* controller

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2003, 02:57:29 am »

I wouldn't mind the PC slideshow, it's better than none at all. Besides, the PC intro had awesome music.
guesst
Enlightened

Ancient Shofixti Warrior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2003, 12:13:32 pm »

Ah, as soon as the intro and final video/slide shows are done I am totally carpetbombing my friends with this game.  I mean, aside from that, is there any major issue that would keep my not-quite-as-geeky friends from enjoying the game completely?

A new game and it's code each week. Please visit Cymon's Games
Chad
*Many bubbles*

PNF Webmaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2003, 07:59:21 pm »

is there any major issue that would keep my not-quite-as-geeky friends from enjoying the game completely?

[link=http://uqm.stack.nl/cgi-bin/bugs/buglist.cgi?short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&long_desc_type=allwordssubstr&long_desc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&emailassigned_to1=1&emailtype1=substring&email1=&emailassigned_to2=1&emailreporter2=1&emailcc2=1&emailtype2=substring&email2=&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&votes=&changedin=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&cmdtype=doit&order=Bug+Number&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=]Check out their list of bugs[/link]

Me, before I'd pass this around, I'd like to see a much better configuration system (especially for Joypads) implemented.  Seems like half of all the problems people come here asking for help has to do with them not understanding how to setup joypads or changings keys or not know how to use command-line switches.

But if they are tech-savy geeks, its pretty cool Smiley
« Last Edit: April 16, 2003, 08:00:45 pm by Chad » Logged

"...Dogar And Kazon Clack Their Mandibles Against One Another And Snicker With Amusement."
guesst
Enlightened

Ancient Shofixti Warrior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2003, 08:12:53 pm »

Has anyone noticed that "Better sync for voice-over and subtitles" appears re-worded at least 3-times in the first part of the bugzilla list? How many other similar things are there?
I figure if you lose the re-words of the same bug we've got less than 100 bugs left. That's manageable, right?

A new game and it's code each week. Please visit Cymon's Games
chmmravatar
*Many bubbles*

WHAT IS DONE IS DONE

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2003, 11:13:54 pm »

Has anyone noticed that "Better sync for voice-over and subtitles" appears re-worded at least 3-times in the first part of the bugzilla list? How many other similar things are there?
I figure if you lose the re-words of the same bug we've got less than 100 bugs left. That's manageable, right?

There are a couple of those, and there are a couple of other bugs that have been resolved but no one remembered to close the bug report. Anyhow, it doesn't really matter...someone with resolution permissiosn will go through it and clean it up at some point.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length