The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:11:31 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Advice needed...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Advice needed...  (Read 6204 times)
OldSkoolGamer
Zebranky food

"There's no fighting in a war room!" - Strangelove

View Profile
Advice needed...
« on: April 16, 2003, 09:07:56 pm »

I'm wondering which planets have the best mineral counts in the beggining of the game.  I'd appreciate any suggestions.  Keep in mind that the landers are quite lame in the beggining of the game, so I'm looking for planets that are relatively tame, and mineral rich of course.  Thanks in advance
Valtteri
Zebranky food

View Profile
Re: Advice needed...
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2003, 09:29:51 pm »

First take everything from Sol. Especially from Pluto. When you have little fuel and other stuff, go to the Alpha Centauri (little down from Sol). There's two planets or moons (I don't remember which ones) and there are lots of exotic. If you are quick enough, you won't be hurted.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2003, 09:30:19 pm by Valtteri » Logged

Look behind you! A three-headed monkey!
Kohr-Ah_Primat
*Smell* controller

Lady Marauder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2003, 11:14:21 pm »

Don't go for Venus though.
The Weather: 8 will turn you into burnt toast.

And yes, there are a pair of Ruby Worlds with Exotics in Alpha Centauri; however if you want to play 'fair' and not restart the game every time you mine, I'd have to suggest the Vulcupae Stars instead. Tons of relatively unhostile Auric / Treasure Worlds. (Same thing in my opinion... world full of gold [Au] or world full of gold and silver and platinum..)

Just make sure you bring a ton of fuel and cargo bays..

We are the Ur-Quan Kohr-Ah.
Our nature, the fulfillment of our fate requires your destruction.
You are filth. It is now your time to be cleansed.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2003, 02:22:56 am »

Agreed. I got good at dodging flames, but I lost around 55 crew anyway. Vulpeculae will help you get Orz and the shield, anyway...
Kohr-Ah_Primat
*Smell* controller

Lady Marauder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2003, 02:35:35 am »

And there are a couple of exotic worlds (ruby/sapphire/emerald) with calm environments (Weather & Tectonics 2 or less, Temperature below 100 Celsius). One's in the Tucanae region I believe, another's near the Lynchis regions. Not quite sure where others might be.

Nic.

Email
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2003, 02:37:30 am »

When heading off to see the Arilou, take a little time while waiting for the portal to open and mine some of the stars in their neighbourhood.  Beta Chandrasekhar is quite a worthwhile stop...
chmmravatar
*Many bubbles*

WHAT IS DONE IS DONE

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2003, 05:42:43 am »

The ruby worlds at Alpha Centauri are pretty hostile, but you can get some really quick cash. As long as you can get your lander off the planet before it blows up, you'll get a good amount of resources. I mean, even if you lose most of your crew (like let's say 40), that's only 80 resources you'll lose, compared to the couple thousand you can make off from the exotics you'll find.
AnonomouSpathi
*Many bubbles*

Spathi?  What spathi?  You're imagining, hunam.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2003, 08:18:10 am »

My personal plan goes something like this.

Mine out sol, except venus.  Load up on thrusters and cargo bays, as much as cash will allow.  Visit a few nearby star systems to get enough RUs for 90 or so fuel and a full compliment of thrusters.  Just the systems local to sol should provide enough resources to get your ship up to being a half decent cargo hauler.  Make positively sure you have the spathi-of-doom (aka fwiffo) and he's filled with crew, and go pay a visit to the ilwrath - in particular, Delta and Beta Tauri.  Loot as much as you can, but avoid anything too hostile, and let fwiffo terminate any spiders who get ambitious.

Go home, offload your minerals, load your ship up to maximum mining capacity, and fuel up.  Go visit the melnorme, sell your biodata and buy as much technology as you can.  Then go visit the space fungus at Zeta and Beta Scorpii, and loot like crazy again.  And if the mushroom feel any more lucky then the dillrats did, let the metamollusk tear em apart.

Visit the melnorme on the way back, buy the rest of the tech - shouldn't be any trouble by now.  Go home, offload minerals.  Save game.

Paint fwiffo's ship black.  Refit ship to be pure combat mode, 1 hellbore in slot 2, 3 trackers, 3 dynamos, 1 crew pod, 1 megafuel pod, rest shiva furnaces.  Rename ship "Emeril".  Return to mycon space.  Broil everything you see in butter and plasma.

Reload save game, and play as normal.
Kohr-Ah_Primat
*Smell* controller

Lady Marauder

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2003, 12:22:44 pm »

The rainbow worlds are also very good places to mine for tons of radioactives. Since each one nets you 500 credits with the Melnorme, and that's equivalent to 10,000 RU if you swap it all in for fuel, it's two birds with one stone.

Four of their locations in game will be divulged to you; Tanaka tells you where one is, the Thraddash comment regarding another, the Slyandro make references to a third, the Supox comment regarding a fourth.

If you're not adverse to a bit of 'cheating' you can look up the locations for these worlds. You'll only need four of them to gather up all the technology the Melnorme sell you; two of them if you also take into account the Umgah reward.

At 10,000 RU (plus the insane amount of radioactives) per planet, it sure as hell beats mining.

Especially when you buy High Efficiency Fuel Tank Technology and then run on over to Druuge space...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2003, 12:23:47 pm by Kohr-Ah_Primat » Logged

RockasaurusRex2000
*Many bubbles*

Pheonix Mirror.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2003, 06:58:57 am »

this is kinda a spoiler, but who cares?

Mine Alpha Ptolmae and mine the Centauri and Gorno systems. That'l set you on your way.

Spoon!
Kohr-Ah_Primat
*Smell* controller

Lady Marauder

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2003, 07:08:49 am »

I swear, I need to sit down and make a giant listing of the stars where you can exotic minerals, and also the quantities of the deposits and environments of the planets therein.

After all, having a single cargo bay full of them is more profitable than having 3 cargo bays full of radioactives, or 4 cargo bays full of precious metals.

So many planets that almost never get mined, out there, because they're all in inconvenient locations.

AnonomouSpathi
*Many bubbles*

Spathi?  What spathi?  You're imagining, hunam.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2003, 07:36:54 am »

I'm actually pretty sure there is a list of the richest worlds, in both life, minerals, and combined wealth on the PONAF somewhere.  I KNOW there is a list, since it's where I got those 4 worlds from above.  Delta Tauri is number 2 richest mineral system in the universe, Beta scorpii is the richest bio planet, iirc.

Of course, right now someone is probably cutting and pasting the actual list, so this may have been pointless.
Kohr-Ah_Primat
*Smell* controller

Lady Marauder

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2003, 08:02:53 am »

Oh, there is. I have that list.
That's not the point.

I don't care for the richest worlds.
I care for the exotic mineral worlds with the smallest amount of environmental hostility.

Omni-Sama
*Smell* controller

Zebranky-Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2003, 10:24:28 pm »

*sings* Transformers!  Robots in Disguise!  By the way, I love your icon OldSkoolGamer.   Grin

You won't really have to worry about finding huge mideral deposits on worlds when you start the game.  You'll be hauling so many minerals back by just dancing from system to system that it should do the trick for a loooong time.

"Even Our House Pets Are Rather Evil." - Ilwrath Captain
Kohr-Ah_Primat
*Smell* controller

Lady Marauder

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2003, 04:23:50 am »

I've actually found that if you screw things up pretty badly at the beginning... (lose the tobermoon to the ilwrath avenger, lose Fwiffo in a probe fight, then warp out of the battle with the probe, lose a couple landers while mining (especially if they're on Io and full of radioactives) then you can be pretty screwed--- you're usually hauling in just enough minerals to cover your fuel costs to the nearest star with a non-hostile atmosphere, and making maybe enough profit to purchase a turning jet each time.

Obviously, you should start over at this point, but it never hurts to have a handy tally sheet ready to get your game kickstarted when you do start over.

Delta Tauri and Rainbow World locations and all that.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length