The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 08:00:53 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  What, what is going on??!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: What, what is going on??!  (Read 3638 times)
CelticMinstrel
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: What, what is going on??!
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2020, 04:15:13 am »

Well, you were the first one to say something rude and dumb and condescending, but anyway...
Kwayne
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2020, 08:32:29 am »

I believe I've said no such thing. Can you elaborate as to why you think so?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 11:27:34 am by Kwayne » Logged

Check dA for some of my non-art ... http://kwayne64.deviantart.com/
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2020, 04:45:41 pm »

Quite. I was considering mod action on this, but nothing else in thread.
Talonious
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2020, 06:43:57 pm »

The Syreen outfit is a little over the top. The game even hangs a lampshade on that fact by Talana noting if asked that it's functional...and that she might be willing to show you why it's so functional, knife included.

One way I try to think about it is that the Syreen as a race are nearly extinct due to the devastation of their home world and it's probably required them to make some cultural adjustments as a result to increase the species population. Another thing to consider is that, if you can get past the costume, the Syreen are portrayed as total bad***es in the game. They absolutely eviscerate the Mycon for instance.

There's a fine line between fan-service and blatant sexism and where that line is drawn is YMMV by person.

Part of it is also that the entire galaxy is effectively a "world of hats" tvtrope. You could just as easily call the Shofixti racist representations of the Japanese. Or consider the Druuge to be a snarky take on ultra-capitalists as another example on one end of the spectrum whereas the Pkunk are clearly stoner hippies on the other side of the spectrum.
PRH
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2020, 11:20:07 am »

One way I try to think about it is that the Syreen as a race are nearly extinct due to the devastation of their home world and it's probably required them to make some cultural adjustments as a result to increase the species population.

The dialogue also implied that the Syreen have never gotten as sexually hung-up as the Earthlings did, so they didn't even have many nudity taboos in the first place (if any at all).

Another thing to consider is that, if you can get past the costume, the Syreen are portrayed as total bad***es in the game. They absolutely eviscerate the Mycon for instance.

Absolutely. Both Hayes and Talana mention that there were many Earthlings that did react to the Syreen like a stereotypical horny male would, and then found out that there was much more to the Syreen than shallow fanservice. Wink

There's a fine line between fan-service and blatant sexism and where that line is drawn is YMMV by person.

Again, I agree. Though, in defense of UQM, it parodies the sexist tropes rather than playing them straight - unlike, say, Star Trek TOS. And there is one thing UQM really excelled at, and that was giving all aliens - the Syreen included - real character.
Krulle
Enlightened

*Hurghi*! Krulle is *spitting* again!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2020, 02:52:00 pm »

One also needs to remember that the Syreen have, due to the destruction of their homeworld, and basically most survivors being part of the female space force which had just been set up (guessing to celebrate, they sent all members of female space force up at the same time), the few females have to compete for the few men.

Although this argument fails now, a generation later, as the new births should provide 50/50 again.
But it may leave a culture influence, like advertising your goods, which doesn't leave as quick as the percentage of males replenishes.

But then, that's speculation., as it's nowhere hinted at in-game.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2020, 02:20:04 pm »

If many reproduced artifically with each other rather than involving men, there could still be a population imbalance.
Kwayne
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2020, 10:25:12 am »

I generally prefer non-answers to questions addressing superficialities, unless it's a sensitive topic (like beauty is to VUX) with the potential of affecting the events of the adventure.

It's never good to explain things like Syreen attire beyond need. It's a tried and proven way to dispel magic from worldbuilding, and I'm not sure if Star Control would benefit from that. I'm perfectly fine with the answer that they just like it that way, perhaps even deliberately avoiding an all encompassing, tedious detailing of historic and cultural evolution. In practice, while developing a sequel to UQM, I feel a good answer might read like "Damn, son, this breastplate is the product of thousands of years of Syreen military tradition. How rude of you to question that!" ... or something like that. Then you're free to make further theories as to what kind of military tradition the Syreen captain is talking about. (I presume it's something where the psychic abilities of the Syreen factor in greatly, even without amplifying technology. Imagine medieval warfare with battle hypnosis involving the uncovered breast as a visual catalyst ... or don't. It doesn't matter really.)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 11:42:07 am by Kwayne » Logged

Check dA for some of my non-art ... http://kwayne64.deviantart.com/
Tiberian
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2020, 08:47:50 am »

*Advertisement*

You, newcomer, should read the Ur-Quan Masters novels Groombridge Log and Eternal Doctrine

They contain some new discussion and insights into the Syreen as well.

Author of Star Control novelizations Groombridge Log and Eternal Doctrine. http://www.tommisalminenbooks.com
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length