The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:07:41 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Slylandro Probe Troubles
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Slylandro Probe Troubles  (Read 799 times)
patr2016
Zebranky food

View Profile
Slylandro Probe Troubles
« on: January 20, 2021, 08:47:28 pm »

Hi everyone, I recently got into this game and am having a great time. But, I'm having a lot of trouble dealing with the Slylandro probes which seem to be incredibly prevalent throughout the universe. I have progressed to the point that I've discovered Fwiffo and his ship on Pluto, which apparently is supposed to be helpful in fighting these ships, but I've been having a lot of difficulty with them still to the point where, if I encounter one, it's a 50/50 chance if I have to restart from the last save. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, as it has become quite frustrating!
Thanks!
Rapajez
Frungy champion

View Profile
Re: Slylandro Probe Troubles
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 11:13:51 pm »

Without spoilers, you can talk to several races to get more information, and the probes themselves should offer clues if you go down all the various dialogue trees (might depend on your UQ version). If you've met an alien race that likes to sell you information, you should definitely talk to them.

More details from the wiki (Spoilers)

(click to show/hide)

patr2016
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 07:02:37 am »

Yeah I'm familiar with all that, I guess what I'm looking for is advice with combat. I am nowhere near the point where I can travel to the planet to disable them, so I need to be able to deal with them.
Elestan
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 09:43:26 am »

I have progressed to the point that I've discovered Fwiffo and his ship on Pluto, which apparently is supposed to be helpful in fighting these ships, but I've been having a lot of difficulty with them still to the point where, if I encounter one, it's a 50/50 chance if I have to restart from the last save.

Just to note, you can save the game at the start of an encounter (before you talk or fight).

If you've just discovered Fwiffo, you're still very near the beginning of the game, so unless you've taken a very long time clearing Sol, there shouldn't be too many probes (yet).

If you max out your engines, you can just barely outrun the probes.  I always max out my engines first, even selling back my weapons to do so.

I guess what I'm looking for is advice with combat. I am nowhere near the point where I can travel to the planet to disable them, so I need to be able to deal with them.

It is possible to fight the probes with Fwiffo, but it's an annoying fight.  The probes are halfway decent at dodging the B.U.T.T. missiles, so you either need to be patient and land lucky hits, or get good enough with the Spathi's forward gun that you can spin and shoot the probe as you flee.  The probe knows where your front gun is pointed, and when you spin it will tend to back off and/or try to flank you.
Krulle
Enlightened

*Hurghi*! Krulle is *spitting* again!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 01:47:12 pm »

make it follow you, point the BUTT at them, save for a full batttery and let them all out in one go.

And bring patience!

Also: to reduce the chances of crashing into the planet, preferably you[r] flight should be strictly horizontal or vertical...

[edit: correction]
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 10:32:13 am by Krulle » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length