The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:50:30 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Question about the Druuge.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Question about the Druuge.  (Read 7714 times)
EkcoTimer
Zebranky food

If it sells, it's art.

View Profile
Question about the Druuge.
« on: April 25, 2003, 05:54:06 am »

I am curious as to way there was no mention of any wars with the Druuge during gameplay. It would seem that their constant snubbing would eventually highly offend a brutal, less intelligent  race. Do you think there ever were any wars with the Druuge? Their circle of influence seems to be almost as large as the Kohr-Ah and Kzer-Za's.

"I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets."
Mark Vera
*Many bubbles*

Me?You mean me,personally? How nice of you to ask!

View Profile WWW
Re: Question about the Druuge.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2003, 07:45:53 am »

Now that's a nice idea for a sequel Smiley

AnonomouSpathi
*Many bubbles*

Spathi?  What spathi?  You're imagining, hunam.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2003, 08:57:06 am »

The druuge would tend to avoid war as much as possible.  It's not good for buisiness, and they want to trade with other races.  Why get involved in a war and get your expensive slaves killed, and your expensive starships blown up?  It's rarely profitable.

I imagine a sequel could have a very interesting scenario where the remnants of the kohr-ah fleet retreat toward druuge space, where they came from, and a struggle breaking out.  Probably have the Kzer-za retreat towards betelgeuse, but get repeled by syreen and pkunkhats, then towards draconis and right into the thraddash-ilwrath war.  The kzer-za will be pissed.

UAF
*Many bubbles*

Robot in Disguise

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2003, 06:39:32 pm »

It seems that the Druuge, bastards as they are, took care not to enter wars.
We don't know much about their deals with other races, but when they sold the Ultron to the Utwig, the Ultron told the Utwig that the Druuge don't really want the Precursor bomb, but a lot of other junk. Instead of blaming the Utwig for breaking the deal, and risking war, the Druuge decided to take the junk and leave.
I know it's a different situation when the Druuge cheat someone, but I guess that when they don't have a choice they would rather compensate their angry clients before getting into a war.
Captain Smith

Email
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2003, 01:23:01 am »

The Druuge do do things that would cause war...like lurking around Zeta Hyades.  Like attacking you when you claim your rightfully given item from the Utwig.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2003, 01:55:46 am »

When you really get down to it, though, it IS their bomb. They were never paid the agreed-to compensation for it in the first place, so the Utwig posession of it was invalid. Still, you do use it for a better purpose than they would have, probably...
UAF
*Many bubbles*

Robot in Disguise

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2003, 03:51:33 am »

Attacking and cheating a Human captain, when the rest of his race is stuck under indestructible shield probably won't start a war.
Now if earth weren't under the shield, then they would've treated you differently Wink
OldSkoolGamer
Zebranky food

"There's no fighting in a war room!" - Strangelove

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2003, 04:31:57 am »

Come to think of it, it wouldn't be in the Druuge's best interest to help you defeat the Ur Quan and Khor Ah.  In my mind, it would make it harder for them to acquire slaves.  In a free society, slavery is (usually) looked down upon.

By the way, UAF:  Good choice of an icon. Wink
EkcoTimer
Zebranky food

If it sells, it's art.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2003, 06:24:16 am »

The Druuge do do things that would cause war...like lurking around Zeta Hyades.  Like attacking you when you claim your rightfully given item from the Utwig.

Right, that's what I meant. I don't think some of you understand my question. Just because it is unprofitable to have a war, sometimes it is unavoidable. Was there ever anything mentioned in the game, or possibly on PONAF about the Druuge and any wars.

"I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets."
UAF
*Many bubbles*

Robot in Disguise

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2003, 03:00:41 pm »

I don't think I ever saw any mention of the Druuge and wars.

P.S: Thanks OldSkoolGamer, I really like your icon too Smiley
AnonomouSpathi
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2003, 06:24:04 pm »

No in game mention of any druuge warfare.  Most of the game's conversation indicate other alien races were at least civil towards the druuge.  The Utwig and the Burvixeese both seem to have had non-violent relations with the druuge.  
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2003, 08:08:38 pm »

I'm sure the Fruuge would go to war if no other course was available to them, think Kohr-Ah coming. But in any other case, I agree with ASpathi, there's no profit in losing trading relations and getting blown up.

What's up doc?
Kohr-Ah_Primat
*Smell* controller

Lady Marauder

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2003, 03:12:05 am »

True, the Druuge seem to strike me as corporate sharks and black marketeers, trying to get the upper hand by wheeling and dealing and being sneaky, rather than overt aggression. War is bad for their business I imagine, unless of course it's not them that's directly involved. (In which case they would make quite a killing in the arms market I'm sure.)

I imagine unless the stakes were absolutely worth it, (like a bomb capable of destroying an entire planet, which would give them tremendous 'stick' leverage in the carrot and stick approach with trading with other races) they wouldn't commit themselves to an overt act that would result in war.

We are the Ur-Quan Kohr-Ah.
Our nature, the fulfillment of our fate requires your destruction.
You are filth. It is now your time to be cleansed.
AnonomouSpathi
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2003, 10:02:12 am »

Even with the space bomb at stake, they were VERY careful about how they attacked and why.  And even then, they asked you to let them have it before they attacked.

While the bomb may be worth fighting off a single human "thief" and some support ships, it sure as hell wasn't worth going to war with the Utwig over.
Shiver

Email
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2003, 10:59:14 am »

The Utwig would crucify the Druuge in a war. Even if they do have fewer ships.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length