The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:02:35 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Improve GFX
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Improve GFX  (Read 2307 times)
Tpr
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
Improve GFX
« on: June 30, 2003, 12:50:05 pm »

This is just a thought but,
why not take the GFX created for SC time warp (they made pre rendered 3d  modules of all ships in good resulotion) and implement them in the game ? im rather sure they would not mind if you mention them in the credits or something.

Also, is it just me or did they change the actuall texts in large portions of the game from the original pc game ?
J
Frungy champion

Submit or die.

View Profile
Re: Improve GFX
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2003, 01:37:03 pm »

This port uses material from the 3DO (a console) version of Starcontrol 2, which is why there are minor differences between UQM and the old SC2 you remember.

As far as the Ripping timewarps graphics idea goes, this ports primary goal is to recreate the original SC2, in its original form.
Only when that is done will people even begin to think about changing things around such as graphics.

As far as the "im fairly sure they wouldnt mind" part goes, Have you actually asked them ?
Tpr
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2003, 03:17:35 pm »

well no, i admit i did not talk to them, but then again it would be rather silly of me to go and talk to them before finding out if you ppl are at all interested in that wouldnt it  Grin
S.P.Y.

Email
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2003, 07:12:56 am »

It would be better to get new developers to TW and port it to SDL, because Allegro is not so fine Sad But there are almost no actually life developers and especially project leader Smiley  But anyway.....port TW to SDL would be much better, than just grab GFX from it. Maybe i will return to project when SDL port will be there, because right now i don't like allegro anymore Wink
youBastrd
Frungy champion

It's real velour, just let yourself go.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2003, 11:30:00 am »

I'd have to agree, that Allegro kinda bites, but that doesn't necessitate that everything made with it does as well.  After all, look how good games like Doom and Quake looked without some well-thought out engine like OpenGL in place before they began.  Having said that, graphic libraries have come a long way in the past 10 years.  

FYI, TW is still alive and kicking.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length