The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:52:46 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Handheld UQM (for real this time)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Handheld UQM (for real this time)  (Read 1673 times)
guesst
Enlightened

Ancient Shofixti Warrior

View Profile WWW
Handheld UQM (for real this time)
« on: July 03, 2003, 01:31:15 am »

This shows real posibility.

A old thread suggested porting UQM to the GBA, which didn't go over well because the GBA's screen is too small, among other issues.

It looks as if we have a solution. The GamePark32. At only US$ 229.00 (US $159.00 for no backlight) you can have a full 320x200 screen  portable game system that runs off flash cards. Doom has already been ported, and with UQM opensourced, perhaps a port of it wouldn't be too hard.

See http://www.lik-sang.com/list.php?category=126& for information on it.

A few problems. First, I don't own one. Second, no one I know owns one. Third, even if I did own one it'd be forever long before I could figure out how to compile a version of it that would work.

However, if a port of UQM for the GP32 was ever made I'd find myself strangely compelled to shell out $230 for it.

A new game and it's code each week. Please visit Cymon's Games
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
Re: Handheld UQM (for real this time)
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2003, 11:38:18 am »

It looks as if we have a solution. The GamePark32. At only US$ 229.00 (US $159.00 for no backlight) you can have a full 320x200 screen

320x240, actually (8-bit palette or 16-bit RGB). Luckily, this is exactly what UQM needs.

portable game system that runs off flash cards. Doom has already been ported, and with UQM opensourced, perhaps a port of it wouldn't be too hard.

SDL has already been ported to the GP32 (see here). The other libraries used by UQM should be easier to port as they don't need to access anything OS-specific.

The GP32 uses standard SmartMedia memory cards, so transferring the data shouldn't be a problem. Similarly, Linux-based cross-compilers for the GP32 are widely available.

Memory cards big enough to contain all the speech data for UQM are quite expensive, so you may have problems getting UQM to work with the 3DO soundtrack.

I'm slightly concerned about the lack of CPU power and floating-point support on this thing (67 MHz ARM920T). However, it appears that the Tremor OGG decoder has been successfully ported to the GP32, so it would appear that there is enough CPU power to support UQM with speech and everything.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2003, 11:38:53 am by Novus » Logged

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length