The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:50:48 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  The mycon
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The mycon  (Read 14220 times)
Vassago_Umara
Frungy champion

Spathis rule!

View Profile
The mycon
« on: May 04, 2004, 04:16:24 am »

Why do the mycon choose to follow the Ur-Quan?  It seems that it would be against juffo-wup to side with the non.

Time is never wasted, if you are wasted all the time.
Chrispy
Enlightened

Vlik Dweller

View Profile
Re: The mycon
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2004, 04:24:14 am »

I'm not entirely sure in this matter. Did they choose to join or were they forcefully enslaved.

Strange_Will
Frungy champion

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2004, 04:58:43 am »

I believe the mycon are the only race known to seek out the ur-quan to become part of its battle thrawls....
Captain Smith

Email
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2004, 08:03:58 am »

The Mycon answer this question within the game:

Juffo-Wup acknowledges the existence of un-Voidable Non when we are faced with such, we join, absorb and wait for our opportunity to learn the weakness that will allow us to Void the Non.

Basically they realized they couldn't fight the Ur-Quan and win so they joined with them as battle thralls.
Captain Smith

Email
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2004, 08:29:54 am »

More Mycon fun - some random rememberances you don't get to see together (you got to fight a lot of Mycon to see this stuff in game):

`...the system requires more energy. A convenient source lies beneath the crust...'
`...incorporation of dense amphibole fibers ensure survival in environmental extremes...'
`...entry of noise into the signal is unavoidable. We must include a filtering mechanism...'
`...Survival is a priority. Expansion is a priority. Processing is a priority...'
`...look... think... act... look... learn... remember... teach...look... think...'
`... planetary transformer biot 94-18: take your place at the dais...'

Deep Children Chronicles (each line again appears when you fight one group of Mycon):

A cold rock, spinning silently in the Void, a womb for the Children.  The Deep Children!  Spears of light in the darkness!
Their discarded husks speak of joy to come.  In the dark they grow, the deep fire feeds the Children.  Their birth breathes warmth across a cold world.  The Deep Children fall from the Void, gathering speed for the penetration The tough casing warms as it passes through the atmosphere, glowing white as it hits the surface solid rock flows like liquid, and the child slips into the warm, safe depths beneath the crust.  The implantation fleet has assembled in orbit above the green world the patterns of weakness reveal the point of introduction
The Child is prepared for its birthing trip  Release!

What is Juffo-Wup?

We look to Juffo-Wup for direction, and it provides the pattern
endless expansion with purity of achievement and intolerance of error.

When Juffo-Wup is complete when at last there is no Void or Non when the Creators return then we can finally rest.

Darkness is Void Juffo-Wup is light.

Juffo-Wup is the power of life... hot warmth in the cold Void.
It flows through all things, binding them together, making them one.

Juffo-Wup flows through Time and Space. It cannot be stopped by mere energy blasts.  However, you are Non -- not part of Juffo-Wup.

Seems like Juffo-Wup is not an idea but a plan by the Creators of the Mycon....Juffo-Wup CAN be destroyed by mere energy blasts...the Kohr-Ah do it at the end of the game! LOL

And a freebie:
The Deep Children are part of Juffo-Wup -- home builders.  The dwellers in the Mohorovichic.

We find out from http://www.glossary.oilfield.slb.com/Display.cfm?Term=Mohorovicic%20discontinuity the following:

The boundary between the crust and the mantle of the Earth, which varies from approximately 5 km [3 miles] under the midoceanic ridges to 75 km [46 miles] deep under the continents. This boundary, commonly called "the Moho," was recognized in 1909 by Croatian seismologist Andrija Mohorovicic on the basis of its abruptly higher compressional wave (P-wave) velocity.

See http://www.glossary.oilfield.slb.com/DisplayImage.cfm?ID=134 for a diagram.  

Oops...I just ruined Star Control 2 / Ur-Quan Masters for people...I just proved it's educational LOL.
Chrispy
Enlightened

Vlik Dweller

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2004, 03:02:19 am »

So the mycon joined the battle thralls untill they learn how to defeat the ur-quan, and then they plan to attack.
Can you say 'sequel'

Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004, 06:10:15 am »

Well, the way their ships are, that sequel will be a long time coming.
FalconMWC
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2004, 01:03:59 am »

Not to mention their thinkings skills. I don't think that only the humans were be alerted if a enemy came by to try and help them with getting more warships and property.
Vassago_Umara
Frungy champion

Spathis rule!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2004, 04:40:25 am »

I have no idea what that means...

Time is never wasted, if you are wasted all the time.
ChainiaC
*Many bubbles*

Cybernetic Experiment

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2004, 01:21:57 pm »

I think it means that the mycon's plan is as bad as their ships because the ur-quan would certainly be suspicious of an alien race seeking them out to help them and become their slaves. The ur-quan would undoubtably keep an eye on their fungal allies so they wouldn't get a chance to surprise attack.
RDH_An-R-Kist
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2004, 01:55:16 pm »

I always figured they joined so that they wouldn't die.

From what I caught, they always need to find new planets to colonize, once they ruin the old one. Something they wouldn't be able to do, stuck under a slave shield.

Anarchy; RDH style

visit www.rdhclan.net
FalconMWC
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2004, 06:34:27 pm »

I have no idea what that means...

Sorry if I did not make myself clear.

What I mean is that the Mycon could never win anything  major without better thinking. Remember when you tell them about the new world? They immeadatly pack their backs without a moments notice. They don't bother to check for a trap from a guy that if they thought about it should be fighting them. That would be like the Ur-quan coming to your base and telling you were a cloaking device is for your ship. I should hope the player would be wary before going were the Ur-quan said,
Zeep-Eeep
Enlightened

Good Grief

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2004, 06:59:06 am »

Yeah, but you _know_ we'd all save and go take a look.
The Mycon were pretty gullable and should have sent out a scout.
Their main draw back though is that they don't have save/load game
functions.

What sound does a penguin make?
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2004, 08:34:21 pm »

There is a difference between sending scouts and sending the birthing fleet without outlying ships as a screen.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length