The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:50:03 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Optimal Flagship configuration?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Optimal Flagship configuration?  (Read 13878 times)
Xander77

Email
Optimal Flagship configuration?
« on: December 18, 2004, 12:42:52 am »

For exploration as well as combat... I'd like to have a pair of every mod, + 3 cannons + 3 shivas + 15 dynamos... but that obviously isn't possible... so what's the configuration that can handle most combat with ease, and yet have plentiful crews supply, and not run out of cargo space whenever you mine a single system...?
michael
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
Re: Optimal Flagship configuration?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2004, 02:17:44 am »

after 3 dynamos don't do anything.
Tiberian
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2004, 03:46:08 am »

the dynamo / shiwa furnace question has been dealt with a few times. I can't remember what the optimal configuration was, though. In my opinion, you don't need the third cannon.

I do remember that dynamos increase the rate of energy regeneration and shiva furnace increaces the amount of energy regenerated. So you'll be wanting both of them.

Author of Star Control novelizations Groombridge Log and Eternal Doctrine. http://www.tommisalminenbooks.com
Captain_Smith

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2004, 04:52:27 am »

Actually, I don't really see the flagship as something that you can set up to be a good combination of both mining/exploration or combat for several reasons.  In fact, I usually transition my rig over as new technologies become available from the Melnorme and the RU starts pouring in.

1) Usually on mining trips you want to go for economy so you need a lot of cargo bins.  Depending on where I go, I can fill up one or two of these quite easily so it becomes counterproductive if I don't carry at least 4 or 5 if I'm in full-on mining mode.  Profit is the big motive in mining, not getting the minerals.  If it costs you more to mine than what you get out of it, DON'T DO IT!  Then again if you pick the right spots (white stars) you can get more RU than you ever need by mining 2 or 3 systems.

2) I find I need no more than one (or two depending on what I'm doing) crew pods.  You run out of fuel and need to go back to base before you lose that much crew usually anyway if you're playing a good game (i.e. not doing foolish things).

3) The dynamo/shiva question.  Dynamos increase the rate of energy regeneration and Shivas increase the amount.  You need both.  The most dynamos that are effective is 3.  Usually I load up the rest of my spots that I don't have anything else in with dynamos and shivas.

4) The gun question.  Three of them are a waste.  You want a minimum of one hellbore in the 2nd position.  Then if you want to increase firepower go for another hellbore in the first position.

5) Tracking modules.  Get them.  No more than 2.

6) Fuel.  Usually no more than 1 hi-eff tank unless there's a special purpose mission where you plan to use more than that.  As an example in my speed game, I have 6 regular fuel tanks in my flagship setup.

So there are usually "bests" for each of the items, but it's all subjective depending on what you're doing at the time.

For exploration as well as combat...

Shiver

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2004, 04:31:18 am »

Flagship combat is dull, IMAO. Last time I beat this game, I had Fwiffo and *Pepper* do all the fighting.
Xander77

Email
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2004, 05:04:37 pm »

Wouldn't know - I'm only about to upgrade to improved Ion Bolts now... but I really don't have anything better to take out Probes with (and don't tell me Spathi can do it, because they can't) and I'm really looking forward to adding 3 point defense (is that what you need to do 3 damage per strike?) and tracking systems and blowing away every Orz in the galaxy without taking a scratch...
Chrispy
Enlightened

Vlik Dweller

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2004, 09:10:46 pm »

Just because you dont know how to kill the probes with Fwiffo doesn't mean you cant learn.

You just need to fight... patiently.

Xander77

Email
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2004, 11:36:34 pm »

'k... I have the original Star Control 2 PC version (not UQM) so maybe it's different for you... but for me, it's very simple: the Probe dodges 3 B.U.T.T missles (only 90% of the time when fully zoomed, 100% when not) then proceeds to ovetake you (as it's way faster then Fwiffo) and zap the living hell out of you. Then back to an asteroid, and repeat.

I do manage to get a 80% victory chance with the Fury, but it's fairly battered once I'm done...
Captain_Smith

Email
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2004, 11:41:10 pm »

Not different.  Evidently, we have a newb on our hands that needs to learn that you aren't doomed in any combination or matchup.  Spathi will work quite well if you practice it a bit and are patient.

Just because YOU can't do it doesn't mean it can't be done.

'k... I have the original Star Control 2 PC version (not UQM) so maybe it's different for you... but for me, it's very simple: the Probe dodges 3 B.U.T.T missles (only 90% of the time when fully zoomed, 100% when not) then proceeds to ovetake you (as it's way faster then Fwiffo) and zap the living hell out of you. Then back to an asteroid, and repeat.

I do manage to get a 80% victory chance with the Fury, but it's fairly battered once I'm done...

Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2004, 11:52:51 pm »

Though the only reason the Spathi can win is a bug in the AI. If it couldn't be incited to go into a bull-headed pursuit and then break off after taking damage, things would go just as he described.

If not using Fwiffo, the best way to deal with probes is to avoid them completely by maxing out thrusters. That's about it until you get tracking modules so you can pulp the thing in a single volley.

If you DO run into one unprepared, escape. You'll take damage but not as much as losing a ship or two. If you resent the idea, then use a cruiser. Face it, fire two missiles. If you're lucky, they'll connect. Then PDL your way to victory.

That said, the options are generally pretty poor early in the game.
Defender
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2004, 12:10:59 am »

*copynpaste from another post of mine*

fighting the probe with the spathi is relatively easy. just go in a strait line, if the probe turns to intercept you from the other direction, do a 180 just before he leaves the screen on the other side and hell slowly gain on you. when he starts to weave back and forth thats when you give him the butt torpedoes. the idea is to get him in range and keep him there, if for any reason you gain speed or he hits an asteroid hell change direction. we were giving the choice of recruiting the spathi for just that purpose. just think of all the earthling cruisers you'd waste trying to kill just one probe.

~DEFIANT
Halleck
Enlightened

Personal Text

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2004, 01:27:52 pm »

Not different.  Evidently, we have a newb on our hands that needs to learn that you aren't doomed in any combination or matchup.

Yeah, you're in an excellent position to start calling people noobs. Xander must bow down to your whopping post count. Tongue

Currently working on: Going outside more
Captain_Smith

Email
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2004, 05:25:59 pm »

How you know little of people on this board?  I posted with this nick for almost 2 years + on this board now.  Only recently have I officially signed up for this account.  Want to tell me how many other posts I have on this board?  Oh and about my post count:  The board isn't too good about searching by author to find my first real post on here, but I did a quick search and found this one on screen #60:

http://uqm.stack.nl/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Gendiscuss;action=display;num=1039178720

That means screen #4 that existed on this iteration of YaBB out of 64 total right now has one of my posts on it.  So am I that much of a newb on this board?  Funny too is I see your nick back then too so I'm a bit surprised you don't know me after all this time.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if I have more posts between my white print & orange print iterations than you do.

Yeah, you're in an excellent position to start calling people noobs. Xander must bow down to your whopping post count. Tongue

« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 05:27:53 pm by Captain_Smith » Logged
Tiberian
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2004, 01:31:00 pm »

I never understand, why you all use the AI bug against the probes. In a way I see it like cheating.

The cruiser's nukes are actually more energy-damage efficient than the point defense. One nuclear launch takes 7 energy-units and does 4 damage, whereas one laser strike takes 2 energy-units and does 1 damage. So I only use the laser on 'special occasions'.

Author of Star Control novelizations Groombridge Log and Eternal Doctrine. http://www.tommisalminenbooks.com
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2004, 10:39:57 pm »

I'm not exactly sure what bug you're refering too, but I do know the AI is intentionally flawed in some places, because it would be unbeatable otherwise. (Think of an Utwig which always turns on its shields at the correct moment).
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 10:43:16 pm by meep-eep » Logged

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.â€
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length