The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:02:14 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  3D planet rendering in the latest CVS
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 3D planet rendering in the latest CVS  (Read 3437 times)
OldShofixti
Zebranky food

View Profile
3D planet rendering in the latest CVS
« on: December 14, 2002, 08:40:12 am »

Hi all,

First off, I would like to thank those who gracefully provided the latest Windows EXE snapshot of the latest CVS build. I am playing this version and thorougly enjoying it. Also, I don't want to criticize any of the programmers...you all deserve a pat on the back for bringing this awesome port to us! Thank you so much again for making this historic game available to all of us!

Anyway, my concern is with the 3D planet rendering code. I'm sure there will be changes to it, as this isn't the final version, but I liked the original PC planet renderer better. The renderer in this release doesn't seem to have as much of a "3D" feel and the surface doesn't seem to my discerning eye to be as perfect of a sphere as the original code was.

That's just a minor rant for an otherwise perfect port....keep up the good work!

--OldShofixti
Mika
Core Team
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
Re: 3D planet rendering in the latest CVS
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2002, 07:12:36 pm »

It will be enhanced somewhat (better lighting, etc) but the planet is very different in 3DO version than PC, and currently resembles the 3DO one pretty well even if not perfectly.
paulsid
Zebranky food

View Profile
Re: 3D planet rendering in the latest CVS
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2002, 11:34:53 pm »

While on the subject, I don't remember the PC version having the planet moving into view like it does now.  I seem to remember they just showed up in the centre of the display right away.  It's a neat effect, but the problem is that the movement seems unneccesarily slow.  I don't know if the slowish movement is a trait of the 3DO version or just a function of the code being new, but it's quite annoying.

It takes over a second for the planet to move to the centre on my system.  At that speed, if you visit 300 planets during a game (probably not an unreasonable number if you're a new player who has to do a lot of exploring) you will waste 5 whole minutes of your life just waiting for the planets to move!  Smiley
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length