The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:36:41 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Damn, i lost
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Damn, i lost  (Read 5342 times)
Icemage

Email
Re: Damn, i lost
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2005, 05:27:19 am »

Hi all,
Captain Smith said:
>It's the one that 0wns the most (even more than the Chmmr) for what you have to do to win.

Really? The Utwig?
For me it was the Pkunk. By a large margin.

Cheers
Martin  Smiley

The Utwig Juggernaut can go head-to-head against any other ship and come out on top.  It has great top speed for a big ship, excellent turn speed, a main gun that requires no energy and has great range and accuracy.  The ruby shield ability makes it beat ships with big guns with ease, and handles pea-shooters pretty well too.  If it has any weakness at all, would be the relatively low acceleration, but it handily wins battles against:

Ilwrath, Ur-Quan Kzer-Za, Ur-Quan Kohr-Ah, Thraddash, Mycon, Druuge,  Yehat

...and does reasonably well against all the other main storyline enemies in SC2 (Slylandro Probe, Umgah, VUX)

By comparison, the Pkunk Fury has a weak., though rapid-fire main weapon with little accuracy and short range, no activated secondary ability at all (energy regeneration doesn't really count in my book).  It does have excellent turn speed and acceleration, but the size of the ship is a liability, making it hard to dodge close-range shots, or spreads of things like Kohr-Ah razor blades.  The resurrection ability is a nice equalizer, but it's not very reliable (50%),.

Pkunk easily beats Mycon
Reasonably good against UQ Kzer-Za and Kohr-Ah, Druuge, Umgah
Difficult time with Thraddash, VUX, Ilwrath
Extremely difficult time with Slylandro Probe, Yehat

Both ships can take down the Sa-Matra pretty easily, though the Utwig Juggernaut can do it more quickly, and in a safer manner.

Even so, the Utwig ship is a better utility ship all-around, as well as being more reliable.  Granted, the Pkunk Fury is a lot of fun, but that doesn't make it a more useful ship IMHO.

Icemage
anhyzer

Email
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2005, 06:45:03 am »

Hi all,
Captain Smith said:
>It's the one that 0wns the most (even more than the Chmmr) for what you have to do to win.

Really? The Utwig?
For me it was the Pkunk. By a large margin.

Cheers
Martin  Smiley

The Utwig Juggernaut can go head-to-head against any other ship and come out on top.  It has great top speed for a big ship, excellent turn speed, a main gun that requires no energy and has great range and accuracy.  The ruby shield ability makes it beat ships with big guns with ease, and handles pea-shooters pretty well too.  If it has any weakness at all, would be the relatively low acceleration, but it handily wins battles against:

Ilwrath, Ur-Quan Kzer-Za, Ur-Quan Kohr-Ah, Thraddash, Mycon, Druuge,  Yehat

...and does reasonably well against all the other main storyline enemies in SC2 (Slylandro Probe, Umgah, VUX)

By comparison, the Pkunk Fury has a weak., though rapid-fire main weapon with little accuracy and short range, no activated secondary ability at all (energy regeneration doesn't really count in my book).  It does have excellent turn speed and acceleration, but the size of the ship is a liability, making it hard to dodge close-range shots, or spreads of things like Kohr-Ah razor blades.  The resurrection ability is a nice equalizer, but it's not very reliable (50%),.

Pkunk easily beats Mycon
Reasonably good against UQ Kzer-Za and Kohr-Ah, Druuge, Umgah
Difficult time with Thraddash, VUX, Ilwrath
Extremely difficult time with Slylandro Probe, Yehat

Both ships can take down the Sa-Matra pretty easily, though the Utwig Juggernaut can do it more quickly, and in a safer manner.

Even so, the Utwig ship is a better utility ship all-around, as well as being more reliable.  Granted, the Pkunk Fury is a lot of fun, but that doesn't make it a more useful ship IMHO.

Icemage

I do think he was talking about the Sa-Matra specifically...and for the record, I agree with him...by a large margin

I found the Jugger too slow against the Sa-matra defenses.  If I released my shields long enough to fire, the fireballs got me.  Since the fireballs are faster than the Jugger, I ended up running around for 5 minutes trying to avoid all the bad stuff, but never did get a shot off.  Is there a trick here I'm missing?
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2005, 02:03:47 am »

I finished the game the first time I played it, and I wasn't even aware of the time limit.

Me too, on 3DO, when i was 12...

SC2 is actually pretty easy for me compared to the other games i play...

The artist once again known as Kohr-Ah Death 213.

Get your MegaMod HERE
Krulle
Enlightened

*Hurghi*! Krulle is *spitting* again!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2005, 06:15:03 pm »

I do think he was talking about the Sa-Matra specifically...and for the record, I agree with him...by a large margin

I found the Jugger too slow against the Sa-matra defenses.  If I released my shields long enough to fire, the fireballs got me.  Since the fireballs are faster than the Jugger, I ended up running around for 5 minutes trying to avoid all the bad stuff, but never did get a shot off.  Is there a trick here I'm missing?

Try to get the green ones push you hard and fast in any direction, and wait to sail past the Sa-Matra. Hope to get a hit (or two) against the Generators.

Takes a damn lot time to kill all generators, because at a certain time you need the right angle to pass by to be able to make überhaupt one hit.

Enjoy!,
 Krulle
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length