The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:44:32 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Lost
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Lost  (Read 6039 times)
^Nytro^
Zebranky food

BiG BeEf DiNnEr.

View Profile
Lost
« on: March 04, 2006, 11:21:36 pm »

I want to share my excitement from the wonderful TV program Lost. I'm watching the second season and they really keep it up. Always thrilling and amazing. also fun, funny, plus Evengeline Lilly and Emilie De Ravin......hemm.
anyway I wanted to open up a Lost thread if there is anyone here who watches it and wanna discuss stuff.
"The Island Has Brought Us Here!"
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 02:16:19 am by ^Nytro^ » Logged
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
Re: Lost
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 11:43:17 am »

you might want to add spoiler tags if you intend to discuss the story. different countries are at different parts of the story, here we're only about a quarter in to season 1.

What's up doc?
^Nytro^
Zebranky food

BiG BeEf DiNnEr.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 06:48:57 pm »

You're right.
since nobody gave out any spoilers (and nobody yet posted anything about it) I'll just ask that
Anyone who wants to discuss things with spoilers will put a spoiler warning. as to now it's not yet nessacery.
TiLT
*Smell* controller

To boldly go where no Spathi has dared go before

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 09:37:44 am »

The only real problem with LOST is all the big breaks between episodes. There was a one week break before last episode, and there will be 3 weeks until the next one. And after that one, it will be another 3 weeks. Argh!

At least I've got 24, The Shield, and Sopranos to keep me going. All of them should manage to show their episodes with no breaks, and 24 even occasionally shows multiple episodes on one night, like this week.
^Nytro^
Zebranky food

BiG BeEf DiNnEr.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 06:23:42 pm »

thats right, and in my case, I have to download each episode of the 2nd season once it airs in the US (because here the 2nd season havent yet started). though often I wair and watch them in 2-3 in a row... thats NICE.
AngusThermopyle
*Smell* controller

A paranoid android.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 06:38:55 pm »

Great show, but Tilt is right...the delays can be maddening!
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 11:23:41 pm »

It is very irregular. A few weeks back, they did three new episodes on consecutive weeks... before that, it had been nearly as many since anything new.

And if you're watching it in the first season, just let me say, it doesn't dip in quality at least this far into the second season. If the network cancelled it where it is, it would have been worth watching all of even with many mysteries unanswered.

But at least we have started to have SOME mysteries answered.
^Nytro^
Zebranky food

BiG BeEf DiNnEr.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 05:58:55 pm »

I always pondered about a problem the creators have with the script of the program.

::GENERAL SPOILER AHEAD:: (definately fine for those who watch the 2nd season)
all the survivors in the island must stay there. there is really no possibility of them getting saved, because once the world finds them and rescue them, the program is over.
in other words, once they decide a certain season is the last one, and the survivors are finally found, they won't be able to change their mind and bring the guys back to the island for a new season......
or maybe they could?  Cheesy
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 10:06:44 pm »

Given the island, I'm not too worried about them being found. Indeed, if they are, I'm more worried for their rescuers!
TiLT
*Smell* controller

To boldly go where no Spathi has dared go before

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 11:09:57 am »

SPOILERS BELOW! I mean it!

-
-
-

If you've been watching some of the speculation around the show, you'll know that some people have come up with some pretty solid explanations for what's actually going on, explanations that make some weird kind of sense.

The concept of electromagnetism seems to be central to the show. There's a huge electromagnetic field around the island, and this has been set up in such a way as to make the island invisible (and mobile, but I won't get into that right now...). This is why nobody is going to be rescued unless they can actually get access to the island's controls and deactivate the field. If a rescue party did show up, it would likely either be led astray by the Hanso Foundation (also known as The Others), or be just as stranded as the rest of the people there.

The show is likely to move in a more sci-fi (although not really) direction now. We've seen indications of that already, with what appeared to be a cloud of nanobots, for example.
^Nytro^
Zebranky food

BiG BeEf DiNnEr.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2006, 07:36:57 pm »

that's interesting. I think that show wonderfully maintains a rigid balance of mystery.
I'll explain:
 The thing that is so much unique and interesting in Lost is that since the very first episode, its genre isn't specified, and you "can't know" whether it could take a sci-fi twist and leave your mouth quite open.
Sometimes I think that the creators of Lost made a script structure that is symbolized by an onion-
while each layer is another mystory solved.
 We start in the middle of the onion, find out something incredible, then we discover another thing far more shocking, and so on. The real world's industry is problematic for LOST, because one can't know how long will it be popular and how many seasons will be once certain contract is over.
So, according to the onion chart, the creators may have prepared the whole onion in advance, but how far does the show get through the onion layers? that's up to the count of seasons.
I heard that there's gonna be a fourth season. imagine it..... (thats a damn LARGE onion plan they must have).

examples of the "layers" I mentioned earlier:

::DANGER, Serious Spoilers Ahead! (fine for 2nd Season viewers in the current episode as the US)::
1. the discovery of the island
2. the discovery of the dead pilot of the airplane
3. the transmission of Anna in the radio
4. the founding of the durg dealers' plane
5. The Hatch, including everything about it that we already know, during a sure speculation we have a lot more to know about it. (hey! look
what heppans after the 108 minutes count down the hatch! those red markings were a cool thing)
6. The other survivors from the front side of the plane.

and there are many, many, more.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JonoPorter
Enlightened

Don't mess with the US.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2006, 07:56:26 pm »

Ends up the island was a nuclear test site and they are all dying from radiation poisoning.  Wink

There are none so blind as those who will not see. — Jonathan Swift

My Remake of UQM.
My 2D physics engine
Both are written in C#.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2006, 10:44:18 pm »

At first I figured anyone who got this far through the thread would be up-to-date, but okay... I'll spoiler-shield it.

Then there's...

The disease,
The distinction between the relatively together others and kind with kids wandering through the jungle,
The security system,
How they keep on not being found,
The mystical and electronic significance of 4-8-15-16-23-42,
The nature of magic in general,
What happened to the stewardess,
What happens to those decided to be 'good people', as opposed to all the main characters, who were all left behind,
Why Eko was thought to be a good person,
And what the heck is up with various of the characters such as Sawyer's need not to be trusted, why Charlie had 'hate' and 'fear' written across his knuckles, etc..
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 09:58:20 pm by Death 999 » Logged
^Nytro^
Zebranky food

BiG BeEf DiNnEr.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2006, 02:13:26 am »

please, Death 999, do put a spoiler warning although it's obvious. Just to be sure.

::Spoils for those unfamiliar at all with Lost. ::

The two things that are left mysterious to me particulary:
1. Lock's eye-scar (did I miss anything?)
2. WHAT HEPPANED TO JACK'S FATHER'S BODY? we all sure have almost forgotten that his coffin was found empty in the beginning of the first season (did I miss anything here too?)

Why Eko was thought to be a good person?
can you explain? I don't see what you mean.
why Charlie had 'hate' and 'fear' written across his knuckles
didn't he change the 'fear' to 'FATE'?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 02:28:06 am by ^Nytro^ » Logged
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2006, 10:00:18 pm »

spoil-shielded (since this is even more explicit)

They were trying to drag him away when he killed two of them (see the recent confession)
Later, the Other that Annalucia killed said that they only took the ones who were good people.

And I don't know about Fate, but if he did, it makes a really dumb-sounding rhyme.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 10:02:06 pm by Death 999 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length