The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:43:58 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  The Ultimate Star Control Cross-overs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: The Ultimate Star Control Cross-overs  (Read 7642 times)
guesst
Enlightened

Ancient Shofixti Warrior

View Profile WWW
The Ultimate Star Control Cross-overs
« on: April 05, 2006, 09:32:21 pm »

Three things per idea:
  • What non-Star Control stories do you think could comfortably co-exist in the Star Control Universe?
  • What would motivate the cross-over?
  • What really cool match-ups would that allow?
Now, I'm the type that prefers to avoid a cross-over where I need to force some random encounter just so I can see the the flinstones duke it out with godzilla. So to set some rules, it's 2160ish, it's after the SaMatra battle. Obviously there's going to be something else for everyone to fight about, and that's when everyone starts showing up...

Battlestar Galactica (classic) - Commander Adoma finally leads the last remains of Humanity safely to Earth. However, the Cylons are hot on their tail. Teaming up with the New Alliance of Free Stars the Battlestar prepares for a final stand against the Cylons. Only the Cylons have found allies too. Now it's Battlestar vs Ur-Quan and Cylons vs Yehat/Shofixti.

Dr. Who (Either Tom Baker or the new guy. He's pretty good so far) - A Precursor relic in Androsynth space draws the attention of the Dalek and Cybermen. Dr. Who hooks the Tardis up to a derilic Androsynth (because the Tardis has no offensive capibilities that I know of)  at which point an alliance scouting party sees the happenings on and allies with the Doctor. Androsynth/Tardis vs Dalek attack ship (do they have any) and Cybermen vs Chmmr.

Superman (why not?) - Aged and retired many times over, and fearing the end of his abnormally long life is soon, Superman comes out of retirement again to join the fight. While only a speck on the radar his heat vision and super punch provides a worth foe to the now evil Orz. (Note, he can only battle around yellow suns, but wouldn't that be cool?)

X-Men - In the year 216X the only surviving member of the original X-Men is Wolverine. However, keeping and traingin a small group of mutants he maintains the name of X-Men in the memory of Xavier (although after so much time and so many battles, the memory is faded. But the will and determination lives on.) Taking the new blackbird into space Wolverine lets the youngins pilot it and use their mutant abilites to augment it's weapons while he dons a special vac suit and enters the battle fray like a one man unstoppable Orz marine.

A new game and it's code each week. Please visit Cymon's Games
MasterNinja
Frungy champion

View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Star Control Cross-overs
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 10:28:42 pm »

The first one is quite cool. The others are... weird Tongue
Arne
Enlightened

Yak!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 11:56:34 pm »

Daleks for sure (a lot of games have used Daleks, so they obviously fit in everywhere).
Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 12:36:30 am »

Ah, this reminds me of one of my trademark overly-ambitious projects from high school. It was supposed to be the ultimate sci-fi crossover atlas explaining how every universe ties into every other one that I was aware of at the time. Uncannily, there were a number of odd events that popped out of Star Trek canon (which I actually despised at the time, but was including for the sake of completeness with the help of one of my trekkie friends) which would have allowed a perfectly placed Starcon crossover; it seems that the Starcon documentation places the initial commissioning of the first Cruisers at nearly the exact same time (same year anyway) that Trek says that humanity was able to develop FTL travel and move away from "Sleeper ships" where the crew was in stasis for their journey. Then, there was this odd gap in Trek, and it picks up right after what would be the end of the second war and the destruction of the Sa-Matra. It was really uncanny... Though I could never figure out a satisfactory explanation about why the Starcon races vanished.

Some of my other crossovers were even more bizarre:

The Alien trilogy was actually pretty easy to just jury-rig onto the lore; the Aliens are scattered and uncommon enough that they could be hiding just about anywhere without attracting too much attention.
I had grafted Shadowrun into this madness, and had the same cult that was primarily responsible for the eventual mutiny of the Androsynth also be responsible for exterminating the magical species, restoring humanity to its "pure" form.
Metroid was another easy fit; the events depicted in the games were on a very small scale, the Space Pirates always seemed to be more of a nuisance than a real threat to anyone, and it fit into the concept of the Alliance of Free Stars quite nicely.
Contra was one of my favorites; I believe Red Falcon became a rogue Mycon Deep Child that was not quite performing as expected in this particular crossover.

There were other continuities grafted into this as well... And then it got so huge and unwieldy, that it completely bogged down and I abandoned it. Much like most of my other projects in those days.
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 12:49:43 am »

Well, since so many cool universes have these alternate (fill-in-the-blanks,) with some experiments-gone-wrong or test voyages of inter-dimensional what-cha-ma-call-its, you can link all these universes together somewhat easily. An old dream of mine, was to have everything from my favorite movie/game universes, in one game, ready to fight it out in space, nebulae, planets, everywhere. It would be a funny thing to see.
JonoPorter
Enlightened

Don't mess with the US.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 03:05:52 am »

Halo:

The Covenant Actually took up the kohr-ah’s offer to wipe out every sentient species, including themselves, in the universe. Hence they have a Covenant with the kohr-ah. That is why they are trying to kill the human race and activate the rings. The rings were made by the precursors and explains their disappearance. The rainbow worlds are nodes in the giant hyperspace power grid that power the rings. The mycon might be related to the Flood.

There are none so blind as those who will not see. — Jonathan Swift

My Remake of UQM.
My 2D physics engine
Both are written in C#.
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 04:52:06 am »

I can see the human race following Star Trek to an extent (only technologicaly, not storywise)

And the Halo crossover makes sense even though i hate the game, i did play it enough to get some of the story...

I'm also keen to the idea of a Dr. Who crossover, i just started watching the new show on Sci Fi and i'm likin' what i'm seein' so far

The Alien trilogy was actually pretty easy to just jury-rig onto the lore; the Aliens are scattered and uncommon enough that they could be hiding just about anywhere without attracting too much attention.
Can you say "Zex Beast"  Grin

The artist once again known as Kohr-Ah Death 213.

Get your MegaMod HERE
Bongo Bill
Zebranky food

Maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 10:04:52 am »

If you could work Schlock Mercenary somewhere into that, you'd gain +5 to Geek Cred.

...but is it art?
Culture20
Enlightened

Thraddash Flower Child

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2006, 06:42:15 am »

Bladerunner is waaay too easy.   Cool
JonoPorter
Enlightened

Don't mess with the US.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 01:06:31 pm »

What you never found LV-426?

Well here is a screenshot from the game.

Apparently the melnorm are very interested in this species.
Though I never heard from them again once I sold it to them.

There are none so blind as those who will not see. — Jonathan Swift

My Remake of UQM.
My 2D physics engine
Both are written in C#.
sundiver
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 01:01:29 am »

Not so much a crossover as some use of concepts. The bad are guys defeated and records surface about many hunan colonys that were established and went silent during the war...now the player gets to find them. And of course a bad guy species wants them as well..yummy!!
 Or...after the conflict a new species wants to move in...the player must find a way to beat them or make a peace with them.
 Unicron (Transformers the Movie). There is a crossover. New technologies and aliens and a really BAD bad guy. Eater of worlds...watch the universe get taken apart!!. (Ok...Unicron was just the planet kill from original Trek, their aint nothing new...just updated).
 What you are really undertaking is a new game that starts at the end of the original...a great idea that I do not have the skills to undertake.
XR4-IT
*Many bubbles*

The nuts Androsynth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 05:37:01 pm »

I think you could bring in the Borg, that would give for a good war.

I would also find a way to do a Wheel of Time Cross-over.

Neonlare
*Smell* controller

Nut Case for Star Control

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 03:32:44 am »

Well, to be brutally honest, the cross-overs would be better obscure than right in your face.

I mean, look at the Utwig.

Now look at E.T.

They're the same race. But they've annoyed the Lawyers because they can't sue because you can't see their faces, but you can tell from the shape of the head that it's one of his kind.

Of course the Lawyers (in their spare time) throw hissy-fits until they see something else on the horizon which looks like a valid claim, *nods to Kings Qu-"cough"-I mean The Silver Lining.*

Never liked E.T anyway.

Anyhow, I like the idea of the Dalek, the other suggestions are weird...

I would like to bump into Samus in the game however, whether it's the actual heroine or a name for a Syreen Ship (I noticed a Ripley once).

But enough about that.

I'd love a cross-over of the Discworld's Death character, he could offer some very interesting dialog for when you die...

BECAUSE HE TALKS LIKE THIS, AND RIDES A HORSE CALLED BINKY.

Now give me a game like that and I'll play for an eternity.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 03:36:33 am by Neonlare » Logged

"would newton's law theory actually work if a Chmmr Avatar did a backwards pelvic thrust towards a planet and would this constitute an X=Y-0 in the part it ran straight into a Supox Blade and lasted long enough to survive?" - Elerium (as Valaggar)
XR4-IT
*Many bubbles*

The nuts Androsynth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2006, 10:49:31 pm »

I think that it would aslo be fun to do a Civilization stile game in the StarCon universe.

Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2006, 07:59:21 pm »

What would that be a crossover with? real life?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length