The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:36:08 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Is Star Control 3 a good game?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Is Star Control 3 a good game?  (Read 7551 times)
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
Re: Is Star Control 3 a good game?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2006, 07:55:05 pm »

However, that does bring something to mind - I do recall reading somewhere a while back that the *cough*pirated*cough* version had issues with the starmap...

Yep, it was the crack that screwed everything up.

Interesting. I assume there were several different cracks then? I know my CD version of SC2 actually came with a crack that disabled the copy-protection system. And as I said before,  my version workde just fine.

Also, if you obtain an illegal crack for a game, in my opinion you shouldn't really complain about stability.

What's up doc?
Ivan Ivanov
*Smell* controller

Internet Piracy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2006, 10:58:22 pm »

Interesting. I assume there were several different cracks then? I know my CD version of SC2 actually came with a crack that disabled the copy-protection system. And as I said before,  my version workde just fine.

Perhaps you are right, it is possible that I had an earlier version of the game.
My version came with a text file, describing Paul's and Fred's escape to Alaska in order to finish the game. It said they were found, but they went hiding again, and since it wasn't known when they'll show up again, they (the writers of the text file whoever they were) have released the version they had on them at the moment.
So, maybe I had a beta version of some sort.

[note: I might have gotten some facts wrong, I saw the file in question more then a decade ago]

...or it could be an earlier version of the crack...

Also, if you obtain an illegal crack for a game, in my opinion you shouldn't really complain about stability.

But of course, I would have never dream of complaining, I was just trying to help clarify matters.
And perhaps the original complainer forgot about this minor aspect of his copy of the game when he wrote his post, it was a long time ago after all.

Your bruises are reminders of naivete and trust
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2006, 12:41:11 am »

Perhaps you are right, it is possible that I had an earlier version of the game.
My version came with a text file, describing Paul's and Fred's escape to Alaska in order to finish the game.

So, maybe I had a beta version of some sort.
That file was in the official floppy release.

...or it could be an earlier version of the crack...
Probably. I think quite a few different cracks have been released for SC2.

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2006, 08:09:51 am »

But of course, I would have never dream of complaining, I was just trying to help clarify matters.
And perhaps the original complainer forgot about this minor aspect of his copy of the game when he wrote his post, it was a long time ago after all.

That was in refrence to Icemage, not you. He stated that his version was buggy, and so far it seems as if only the illegal crack accomplished such buggyness. You merely expanded and explained. Wink

What's up doc?
Mugz the Sane
*Many bubbles*

need coffee...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2006, 11:42:54 am »

Yes, it was the crack that damaged the starmap. *cough cough*

I had the problem for a while, then lost sc2 for 3 months.
Got it back without problem the second time.

Multiple crack versions? makes sense...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 11:44:58 am by Mugz the Sane » Logged

I'm seriously considering going to Bali to paint nude women.
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2006, 12:46:54 am »

No, it will not run in Windows XP.  You need to get DOSBox to run SC3.

Not true, i run it on XP just fine.

The artist once again known as Kohr-Ah Death 213.

Get your MegaMod HERE
Anthony
*Smell* controller

Star Control Lives!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2006, 02:30:05 am »

No, it will not run in Windows XP.  You need to get DOSBox to run SC3.

Not true, i run it on XP just fine.

I stand corrected.

BlackSpathi
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2006, 09:24:19 am »

yup, it was a pirated version of sc2 which i first played Embarrassed. I did buy one after i finished the adventure part tho because i just couldnt stop playing melee with my friends. I dont think i ever played the adventure part with the legal copy tho. I always assumed it had the same problem   Smiley
Razorback
Frungy champion

We are all *happy campers*

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2006, 07:37:40 am »

Daggerfall had more bugs in it than an anthill.  Can you seriously say SC3 was worse?

Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2006, 10:40:08 am »

Daggerfall had more bugs in it than an anthill.  Can you seriously say SC3 was worse?

I've no idea, never played it. How is this relevant to anything though? Are you implying that just because something else was worse, SC3 should be viewed more leniently? If so, I argue that my first computer back in the 90s was extremly crap. Henceforth, noone else should complain about thier computers ever, because mine was worse than theirs.

Or are you just making random observations?

What's up doc?
Culture20
Enlightened

Thraddash Flower Child

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2006, 03:14:07 am »

Yes.  Ignoring the bugs in SC3 still leaves us with a very linear plot and bad ideas which were poorly implemented.  Daggerfall had a lot of good ideas, and was incredibly non-linear.  If something was time based, you actually had _things_to_do_ while you waited.  Often, I ignored the plot, and just went around exploring (hmm, sounds like SC2...).  SC2 had bugs too.  But the bugs in SC2 and daggerfall made things fun (infinite resources, flying around in a cart, "falling" through stairs in a dungeon to skip portions).
Razorback
Frungy champion

We are all *happy campers*

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2006, 08:47:23 am »

I've no idea, never played it. How is this relevant to anything though? Are you implying that just because something else was worse, SC3 should be viewed more leniently? If so, I argue that my first computer back in the 90s was extremly crap. Henceforth, noone else should complain about thier computers ever, because mine was worse than theirs.

Or are you just making random observations?

Actually I was asking somebody else on page 1 that made the observation, I just forgot to quote it.  Suppose it would have made a little more sense that way.   Grin

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length