The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:15:50 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Technical Issues (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Few audio-text inconsistencies
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Few audio-text inconsistencies  (Read 2745 times)
Jaenis
Zebranky food

View Profile
Few audio-text inconsistencies
« on: May 08, 2007, 04:47:17 am »

Hi

I have been playing latest release (0.6.2) for a while and found few minor errors in the text and audio.

Ur-Quan:
When I said "Hold! What you are doing to us is wrong! Why do you do this thing?", then Ur-Quan gave me a long speech - where text and audio were off-sync in the end of the message.
Severity: Bad

Melnorme:
When the bridge turns purple and you ask of the reason the melnorme audio says that information costs "120 millon", but the text says 120,000.
I found this note from the wiki, which explains why, but it was a bit confusing.
Severity: Minor, Confusing

Slylandro:
At some point when conversing with probes, they give you coordinates and there is no audio of that.
Severity: Minor

To me the two last things were only cosmetical, but that first - where text and audio were off-sync - was quite bad.

Otherwise this has been great remake, I am amazed of your work quality!
Keep up the good work, and thanks Smiley
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
Re: Few audio-text inconsistencies
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 03:55:39 pm »

Ur-Quan:
When I said "Hold! What you are doing to us is wrong! Why do you do this thing?", then Ur-Quan gave me a long speech - where text and audio were off-sync in the end of the message.
Severity: Bad
Can someone confirm this? I don't think I have a suitable savegame.

Melnorme:
When the bridge turns purple and you ask of the reason the melnorme audio says that information costs "120 millon", but the text says 120,000.
I found this note from the wiki, which explains why, but it was a bit confusing.
Severity: Minor, Confusing
Are you sure? It's 12 millions in both on my copy.

Slylandro:
At some point when conversing with probes, they give you coordinates and there is no audio of that.
Severity: Minor

To me the two last things were only cosmetical, but that first - where text and audio were off-sync - was quite bad.
There is currently no support for speech for this, as the PC version of SC2 had no speech and these lines were removed from the 3DO version because generating speech for them would have required extra work. In any case, this is part of bug 732.

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Jaenis
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 04:02:46 am »

Melnorme:
...audio says that information costs "120 millon", but the text says 120,000....
Are you sure? It's 12 millions in both on my copy.
It might be 12 millions, can't remember the audio correctly. But in the text it was "120,000" (one-hundred-twenty-thousand) which is not close to 12 or 120 millions.

The wiki says:
In the original PC version, this information cost 120,000 Credits. In the 3D0 version this cost was raised to 12,000,000 Credits.
So the audio said 12 million, but the text followed the original pc format and said 120,000 - which is confusing.
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 10:50:15 am »

The wiki says:
In the original PC version, this information cost 120,000 Credits. In the 3D0 version this cost was raised to 12,000,000 Credits.
So the audio said 12 million, but the text followed the original pc format and said 120,000 - which is confusing.
I know that the PC and 3DO versions differed. My point is that this mismatch (bug 335) was fixed in UQM in 2003 and I've checked both the audio and text data files and the ingame behaviour, all of which say 12 million.

The only way I can think of for you to get a mismatch like that you describe is to have installed UQM 0.62 on top of a really old version (0.2 or older).

Jaenis
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 11:55:17 am »

Weird...
I made a fresh install and let the installer download most of the install files - except few music remixes which I had already downloaded.

Is there any way to check which versions of different packages has been used?

Or any quick and dirty cheat to get more money to check what melnorme did say... hmmm... Maybe I could start a new game and go to hyperspace with no fuel to lure melnorme near. I'll re-check this today.
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 12:11:46 pm »

Weird...
I made a fresh install and let the installer download most of the install files - except few music remixes which I had already downloaded.

Is there any way to check which versions of different packages has been used?

Or any quick and dirty cheat to get more money to check what melnorme did say... hmmm... Maybe I could start a new game and go to hyperspace with no fuel to lure melnorme near. I'll re-check this today.
The Melnorme hang out at Alpha Centauri, so you can travel there and talk to them right at the beginning (although you will experience major Slylandro Probe attacks if you haven't visited the starbase first).

Check the content directory in the UQM directory; if it contains uncompressed data files they will override the current content installed by the installer (this directory should contain no other subdirectories than "packages"; the file names of the packages reflect their version).

Jaenis
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 02:17:23 pm »

The Melnorme hang out at Alpha Centauri, so you can travel there and talk to them right at the beginning (although you will experience major Slylandro Probe attacks if you haven't visited the starbase first).

Ye, there were many probes, which gave a much trouble to a single Earthling fighter and not upgraded flagship. But I got to the Melnorne and I had to admit that I misheard that part of conversation after all.. So sorry for confusion about this.

Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 04:01:05 pm »

All right, that leaves the Ur-Quan speech to be checked. I'll have to see if I can find an easy way to test that one.

Valaggar

Email
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 04:14:41 pm »

Tested. The Ur-Quan response to the Words is indeed off-sync - often, the new line appears before the speech for the old line is finished. I will fix it soon, I think.

(sorry for exceeding my 3-posts-per-day limit, I'll subtract one post from tomorrow's quota)

EDIT: Bug reported (bug #988)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 07:30:30 pm by Valaggar » Logged
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 04:36:28 pm »

Tested. The Ur-Quan response to the Words is indeed off-sync - often, the new line appears before the speech for the old line is finished. I will fix it soon, I think.
Thanks. Can you do a proper bug report in Bugzilla?

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length