The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:05:10 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Most Common Misconceptions about Star Control
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Most Common Misconceptions about Star Control  (Read 5537 times)
Valaggar Redux

Email
Most Common Misconceptions about Star Control
« on: December 02, 2007, 06:28:34 pm »

Well, since I've been lurking for so long already, I figure a new Vala-Thread wouldn't hurt anyone (just so you don't forget what they are like).

This one is about misconceptions. About Star Control. Discuss those mentioned below. Also, discuss whether there are any misconceptions that I don't list and that you think are widespread enough to deserve their entry.

- Podships are giant living mushrooms
      It's merely SCNot3 stating this. We possess no canonical information on this subject. I prefer to think that they are just chunks of volcanic rock and magma to which a plasmoid launcher and a propulsion system are attached. This would explain the background of the Podship captains during communications. Besides, using giant living organisms for that would be overkill -- it's much easier to just cut a big piece of rock, the rock is much more resistant anyway, and the temperature of the ship can't decrease significantly in space, as the heat has next to no environment to be absorbed by.
- *below* refers to the Orz home dimension and *above* refers to QuasiSpace; the Orz are not from QuasiSpace
      See the entries for *below*, *above*, *inside* and *outside* at Orz communications.
- our region of space is a quadrant (a quarter of the galaxy)
      This is another example of SCNot3-induced damage. Nowhere in the canon is this mentioned, quite the contrary in fact. I personally removed all references to quadrants in the Ultronomicon.
- the Ur-Quan originated at the other end of the galaxy
      While this is marginally possible if we assume that they employed the very inefficient procedure of walking along a [curved] line instead of a filled area, certain data we possess imply that their homeworld is actually near our region of space:
Melnorme: Almost twenty-five thousand of your years ago, there existed near this region of space an association of starfaring races called the `Sentient Milieu'. [...] the Sentient Milieu spanned five hundred light years and included the membership of a hundred worlds.
Also, the Taalo are in our region of space, and since the Milieu can't be too dispersed (lest communication problems between its members arise), it means that the other members were probably nearby too.
- Interdimensional wars are fought with ships.
      A significant amount of people seem to believe that conflicts between Arilou and the Orz, or the Orz with the Androsynth etc. are fought with ships. This is almost certainly not the case, as the laws of QuasiSpace or Orz's dimension (if it is indeed other than QS) are very different from the ones in TrueSpace, after all, and, besides, Orz can just "snag"/*pull* those who oppose him (provided he can *smell* them).
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 04:46:39 pm by Valaggar Redux » Logged
Elvish Pillager
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: Most Common Misconceptions about Star Control
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 09:42:30 pm »

...wouldn't hurt anyone

AIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! IT BURNS! IT BURNS!

My team of four Androsynth and three Chmmr is the most unfair team ever!
My mod
Koowluh
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 10:23:03 am »

It wasn't too bad, I expected a psuedo equation on how the flight path of 2 Ur-Quan ships plotting a course away from a supernova at Delta Gorno was calculated.

I hate drugs. Air is the worst one. Breathe it once and you're hooked for life.
Valaggar Redux

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 03:08:06 pm »

Please stop the bandwagon RIGHT - NOW!
OK, now it's much better.

Can everybody hear me?
Repeat: Can - Everybody - Hear - Me?
Oh well, I'll just assume you can.

<Spathi quick speech>JustBecauseIMadeThatEquationAndYouWereTooSillyToUnderstandItDoesNotMeanIAmSilly!</quick speech>
Nor does it mean that all my posts are like that.
For instance, there's my last theory on Rainbow Worlds.
Nevertheless, let's better just forget each and every post the old Valaggar made, and just focus on what the new one posts. I don't want to pointlessly argue with you about whether my posts back then were good or not.

So, for short: Don't insult other people, lest they will insult you as well. For instance:

Code:
[CENSORED] [CENSORED] [CENSORED] [CENSORED] [CENSORED] [CENSORED]!

Also, by insulting those who have erred, you actually discourage them from improving themselves. So DON'T!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 02:46:04 pm by Valaggar Redux » Logged
Koowluh
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 01:13:01 pm »

Well, let me toss one in then:

The Mmrnmhrm and their Mother Ark are of Precursor origin:
Some people tend to believe that the Mmrnmhrm and the Mother Ark that spawned them might actually have been of Precursor design and basically being a terraforming/colonization tool. The origin of the Mmrnmhrm are unknown however, and much (if not all) of the reference material does not actually point to the Precursors.

EDIT: and another one:
The Chenjesu and Mmrnmhrm are no more, there are only Chmmr:
There is nothing known about the synthesis process that created the Chmmr, the amounts of Chenjesu entities and the amounts of Mmrnmhrm entities required for this process. They do not seem to be races that commit mass genocide either and destroy their predecessors (sp?). For all we know, there may still be Chenjesu and Mmrnmhrm left.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 01:21:53 pm by Koowluh » Logged

Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 07:13:57 pm »

I do not think it would be genocide. I looked through the chmmr text file, and they don't say that there are no Chenjesu or Mmrnmhrm; however, didn't FF and/or PR3 say so?
Yayap
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 07:38:00 pm »

-The Precursors are just a bunch of cows.
I blame SCnot3 for this and was very disappointed. Lets all hope that SC3 will set things straight.
Koowluh
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 08:45:19 am »

I do not think it would be genocide. I looked through the chmmr text file, and they don't say that there are no Chenjesu or Mmrnmhrm; however, didn't FF and/or PR3 say so?

Well, I love to read that.

Valaggar, as one of the main contributors to the ultronomicon, you may know or have seen something in this fashion. I for one could not find any reference to it. Perhaps you have better luck?

Neonlare
*Smell* controller

Nut Case for Star Control

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 02:34:33 pm »

Wasn't the conversion process only 90% complete? That might mean that only 90% of the population were converted, the other 10% might be half-way through or still in their original forms.

"would newton's law theory actually work if a Chmmr Avatar did a backwards pelvic thrust towards a planet and would this constitute an X=Y-0 in the part it ran straight into a Supox Blade and lasted long enough to survive?" - Elerium (as Valaggar)
Valaggar Redux

Email
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 03:58:06 pm »

The only thing that the Twin Gods (Blessed Be Their Holy Names) have ever said about the Chmmr in a chat is:
{{IRC2007}}
    23:30 <@Meep-Eep> < Valaggar> Was there ever a planned "final form" for the Chmmr? I mean, you interrupted the process by speeding it up, and the end result was not what they had planned.
    23:30 <@Meep-Eep> In other words: what does "The process has been interrupted" mean. Is there a final stage, or does it just mean only part of the population has merged
    23:30 <+PR3> Good idea about the Chmmr. I will ponder upon this and steal your good idea.

(note: The idea about the final form was actually posted by Lukipela)

This quote would seem to indicate that the Twin Gods hadn't thought before whether there are any Chenjesu/Mmrnmhrm remaining.
Depending on how jokey Paul Reiche III (Blessed Be His Holy Name)'s reply was intended to be, He might consider having some un-Processed Chenjesu/Mmrnmhrm around, or the Chmmr resuming their Process to form something even more advanced.
Shiver

Email
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 04:18:20 pm »

Hey Valaggar, why don't you play net melee with us?
Valaggar Redux

Email
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 04:34:40 pm »

Well, as a general rule, I don't like Super Melee that much... What does that have with the topic at hand, though? We have PMs for stuff like this, you know.  Smiley
Shiver

Email
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 05:48:02 pm »

Well, as a general rule, I don't like Super Melee that much... What does that have with the topic at hand, though? We have PMs for stuff like this, you know.  Smiley

Peer pressure tends to lose its edge when used in the absence of peers.
Neonlare
*Smell* controller

Nut Case for Star Control

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 09:53:19 pm »

Here's a misconception perhaps; Everyone on the forums are friendly, nice and willing to help people out.

>: D

"would newton's law theory actually work if a Chmmr Avatar did a backwards pelvic thrust towards a planet and would this constitute an X=Y-0 in the part it ran straight into a Supox Blade and lasted long enough to survive?" - Elerium (as Valaggar)
Koowluh
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 07:16:42 am »

...<snip>...

I found that information as well, but I recall that someone said that there's only Chmmr remaining, hence the misconception. Oh well, we'll leave it up to our imagination.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length