The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:11:45 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Spore thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Spore thread  (Read 5932 times)
Shiver

Email
Spore thread
« on: September 13, 2008, 02:30:04 pm »

There was a thread on Spore previously that pertained to SC2 creations. Here's a link to it. This topic will be more general. I know I'm not the only person who bought the game, so dazzle me with your artwork.

Huh Wait a minute, what is this? I'm featured? That was quick. Haven't even had the game for a week yet.

The offending structure.

My Spore page.
Battlefrank
Zebranky food

View Profile
Re: Spore thread
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 05:13:00 am »

Spore is mediocre.
They could have made it better but instead they covered it in shit.
It's not good, but it's not bad either.
Shiver

Email
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 07:01:02 am »

Quote from: Battlefrank
Spore is mediocre.

Covered in shit, but it's not bad either? So essentially you use horribly exaggerated and offensive rhetoric in every post to appear distinct. No one strives to be an unmemorable white noise poster, but honestly that would be much better than the complete moron you're shaping up to be.

And while it's always fun to end a post on "you're an idiot", Spore's gameplay was going to be brought up in this thread or the other one eventually. It is a disappointment, no getting around that. I've seen a lot of negativity towards the game around the Internet and it seems to be at least partially justified. Maxis shouldn't have hyped their game up nearly as much as they did. The real game is in the editors, though, and those are a blast. The Space stage has way too much nonsense thrown in the player's direction. I had to download a mod someone made to get it to stop lobbing constant eco-disasters and raids at me.
jaychant
*Smell* controller

Please visit my homepage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 04:38:00 am »

Spore is mediocre.

Shocked

The only reason I don't get Spore is because I know my computer won't be able to handle it!

OK, maybe you're biased and only like space games. In that case, play Arvoch Conflict or Evochron Renegades. Just like Spore, the only reason I don't have it is because my computer sucks.

Please visit my homepage.
RTyp06
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 03:49:11 pm »

I may pick up this game. Not sure yet.

On an interesting side note, I read an article from the discovery institute home page (those nutty intelligent design folks) who are giving this game the thumbs up and seem to be claiming that Spore somehow  underscores some of their ideas.

.. and that's as far as I'll go with that.

Shiver

Email
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 05:22:14 pm »

Quote from: RTyp06
I may pick up this game. Not sure yet.

As Mr. Frank so tactfully put it, the gameplay is lacking. You may or may not get something out of it.

Quote from: RTyp06
On an interesting side note, I read an article from the discovery institute home page (those nutty intelligent design folks) who are giving this game the thumbs up and seem to be claiming that Spore somehow  underscores some of their ideas.

They are grasping at straws.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 09:15:00 pm »

Heh, that is kind of funny. Thanks for the heads up, I'll go amuse myself.

What's up doc?
Razorback
Frungy champion

We are all *happy campers*

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 10:31:06 pm »

Heh, that's all the more amusing since legitimate scientists have spoken out saying Spore gets real science confoundingly wrong.   Tongue  It's an amusing game, I'll give it that much.  Not worth full price though, at least in my opinion.  I'd wait til the thing hits the bargain shelves first.

RTyp06
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 01:16:26 am »

Ok just one question.. what exactly is a "legitimate scientist" ? One who thinks inside the established box? Sorry couldn't resist.

Mutters to self ***Will not derail thread.. will not derail thread.. will not..***
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 05:58:25 am »

Ignoring the derail I figured I'd as kquestions about Spore instead since I've never played it (and this is a Spore thread, not another ID/evolution debate).

From the demos it seems you take a creature and evolve it up from single-celled organism to spacefaring race. But looking at Shivers page and other Spore stuff it seems that everyone is making dozens of species. Do you just use these to populate the world where your "main species" live, or is it possible tyo jump directly to a stage where you already have large creatures? Or are they just for show and not actually used in the game?

What's up doc?
Shiver

Email
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 04:16:47 pm »

From the demos it seems you take a creature and evolve it up from single-celled organism to spacefaring race. But looking at Shivers page and other Spore stuff it seems that everyone is making dozens of species. Do you just use these to populate the world where your "main species" live, or is it possible tyo jump directly to a stage where you already have large creatures? Or are they just for show and not actually used in the game?

Anything you host up on Sporepedia can end up appearing in someone else's game or your own. You can skip ahead to later stages of the game after beating a particular stage once.
countchocula86
*Smell* controller

Culture 20!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 03:57:22 am »

Id say a legitimate scientist is one who makes use of 'the scientific method'. That is to say, those people who document their research and experimentation and then submit it to peer review wherin the data is reproduced.

Im planning to pick up a new computer around Feb, so I think Ill prolly grab Spore then, it looks like an awesome game.

I like to think you killed a man. It's the romantic in me.
Resh Aleph
*Smell* controller

Rottem Tomatoes

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 09:54:13 am »

Id say a legitimate scientist is one who makes use of 'the scientific method'. That is to say, those people who document their research and experimentation and then submit it to peer review wherin the data is reproduced.

Yay for derailment!

One could take that further and require that they also base their set of beliefs upon this method.

Important philosophical principles that distinguish science from other ideologies:

- We can never be 100% sure about anything (but mathematical proofs, if we accept the axioms). When a result is repeated consistently, we start to believe in it, but even then we realize that there is always a chance that we are wrong, that maybe there is a bigger picture we don't yet see. Science is humble. (Example: the celestial bodies revolve around Earth.)
- Claims that have no evidence behind them require proving, not disproving. (Example: God exists.)
- If one cannot propose an objective experiment to prove or disprove a claim, then that claim is even less valid than a refuted claim. (Example: God exists.)

... ahh, Spore... Heard it isn't that good, so haven't played it yet. But I probably wouldn't anyway. I'm not a gamer, see. I only ever play Star Control. So that's what I have to say about Spore. I would totally post this message even if I had nothing to say about science.

Marines on Maulers and limpets on Earthlings  /  Bright Podship plasma and warm Kohr-Ah death rings  /
Shofixti Scouts doing gravity whips  /  These are a few of my favorite ships!
       © meep-eep
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 10:54:36 am »

Anything you host up on Sporepedia can end up appearing in someone else's game or your own. You can skip ahead to later stages of the game after beating a particular stage once.

Not that I'm too interested, but I figured i'd try to get a Spore related question in before either atheism or creationism manages to completely derail this topic. Can't you guys just make your own threads for that stuff instead of injecting it everywhere?

Anyhow, can you control what creatures are imported from Sporepedia? I mean, could you set up a "civilisation" stage game with you playing as Zoq but having Pik, Fot and Zebranky populating the planet? Or are the races randomly determined?

What's up doc?
Shiver

Email
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 04:46:51 pm »

Quote from: Lukipela
Not that I'm too interested, but I figured i'd try to get a Spore related question in before either atheism or creationism manages to completely derail this topic. Can't you guys just make your own threads for that stuff instead of injecting it everywhere?

They should, but I don't really care that much in this case. I wanted to see other people's creations when I made this thread, not questions about the game.

Anyhow, can you control what creatures are imported from Sporepedia? I mean, could you set up a "civilisation" stage game with you playing as Zoq but having Pik, Fot and Zebranky populating the planet? Or are the races randomly determined?

You can't pick what appears in your game unless you're controlling it. I've noticed that certain things from one player will spawn as a set together, especially buildings.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length