The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 11:09:25 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  IRC freenode
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: IRC freenode  (Read 3276 times)
Glory_device
Frungy champion

View Profile
IRC freenode
« on: October 22, 2008, 08:14:14 pm »

I cannot connect to freenode because they say that I need to register. I go to their website and they say registration is only important if you plan to make a server....which I don't. Also I don't know where the hell is the register on their website. Can somebody help me out? I am not that familiar with IRC and I am using MIRC.

I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence. Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: IRC freenode
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 08:58:12 pm »

You do not need to register to just talk in one of the channels. You only need to register if you want to send private messages. To see how that's done, do "/msg nickserv help register" once you're connected to the IRC server.
Just make sure that you've got "irc.freenode.org" as the IRC server, and 6667 as the port (which is the default). Then join the channel #sc2 or #uqm-arena. MIRC probably has a button to join a channel; if not, just type "/join #sc2" or "/join #uqm-arena".

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Glory_device
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 09:11:23 pm »

when I try to connect I always have this junk:

* Connecting to irc.freenode.org (6667)
-
-irc.freenode.org- *** Looking up your hostname...
-
-irc.freenode.org- *** Checking ident
-
-irc.freenode.org- *** Found your hostname
-
* Disconnected

Sometimes It also come with a unable to ident you... user unknown... If I try to leave like blank space (nickname 2nd name email) they prompt me to add those information... I am kind of confuse now!!!

I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence. Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.
Resh Aleph
*Smell* controller

Rottem Tomatoes

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 05:05:05 am »

I guess you just need to fill in the Full Name, E-Mail Address and Nickname fields. Note that this will be publically available, so you don't have to enter your real name/e-mail. Just make something up.

Marines on Maulers and limpets on Earthlings  /  Bright Podship plasma and warm Kohr-Ah death rings  /
Shofixti Scouts doing gravity whips  /  These are a few of my favorite ships!
       © meep-eep
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 11:29:30 am »

"Nickname" is the name which other people will see when you talk on IRC.
IRC servers use the "ident" service to distinguish users on a computer. MIRC will run this service for you, probably returning the full name you specified to the IRC server. It is possible that irc.freenode.net won't let you in if it can't run the ident check on you, which is the case if the ident port is blocked by your firewall, or not forwarded by the router.
See here on how to enable forwarding on your router.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Resh Aleph
*Smell* controller

Rottem Tomatoes

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 12:18:36 pm »

probably returning the full name you specified to the IRC server.

It uses the user part of the e-mail address field.

It is possible that irc.freenode.net won't let you in if it can't run the ident check on you

Freenode is hardly nazi enough to require ident... I've only seen that happen on snobby IRCnet.

Marines on Maulers and limpets on Earthlings  /  Bright Podship plasma and warm Kohr-Ah death rings  /
Shofixti Scouts doing gravity whips  /  These are a few of my favorite ships!
       © meep-eep
Glory_device
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 12:40:27 am »

problem partly solved. I use a web based IRC...not a real priority over here...If I can chat...this is all I need for now..other part will have to wait I guess =) Thank you all for your support!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length