The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:08:13 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Ridiculous UQM mod
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Ridiculous UQM mod  (Read 9840 times)
jaychant
*Smell* controller

Please visit my homepage

View Profile WWW
Ridiculous UQM mod
« on: February 06, 2009, 12:33:23 pm »

I am making a very simple UQM mod. It's almost finished (I just need to finish the Yehat). It's a very simple mod, I only adjusted basic values, but the changes I made make gameplay rediculous. Here's the changes:

Ur-Quan: The Dreadnought's power has been flipped around from banana-boat to seriously overpowered.
General: Energy recharge rate doubled
Primary: Is now faster (comparable to a Druuge cannon slug), costs only 4 energy, and inflicts 8 damage instead of 6. The speed increase also increases its range.
Secondary: The fighters have not been made any less fragile. (I wanted to, but couldn't find where to do that.) Instead, they have ridiculous speed (comparable to the Slylandro), increased rate of fire, and increased range. Besides that, they cost no energy to launch. Fighters in swarms of 4-6 can now decimate almost any ship, only excluding the Earthling and Chmmr (which can easily be defeated by the Fusion blaster) and the two shielding ships.
Oddly, when the Ur-Quan fights against the Kohr-Ah, the game freezes (it doesn't crash, it just stops doing anything).

Mycon: The Podship was also reversed in power. It is now extremely difficult to defeat the Mycon, although the big shielding ships still have an advandage.
General: Increased crew compliment
Primary: Is now ridiculously fast
Secondary: Now costs only 10 points of energy.

Thraddash: The primary's weapon has its range decreased from excessively large to excessively small (about the range of the Shofixti gun). This makes Thraddash utterly useless.

I made some other little changes, but these are the big ones.

Please visit my homepage.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
Re: Ridiculous UQM mod
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 04:31:54 pm »

Why?
Cedric6014
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 07:13:19 pm »

Why not?

Play online melee here! http://irc.uqm.stack.nl/
jaychant
*Smell* controller

Please visit my homepage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 09:06:55 pm »

Why?

Maybe because I enjoy the ridiculous changes?

I mostly did it because I feel the Ur-Quan and Mycon were seriously underpowered. Mostly, I really think the Dreadnought should be a super-ship that can defeat almost anything. Also, I wanted to fix up the Yehat shielding so it isn't so wasteful of energy.

Impeached
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 09:12:20 pm »

What did you do to the Yehat shielding?
jaychant
*Smell* controller

Please visit my homepage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 10:06:43 pm »

What did you do to the Yehat shielding?

So far I've just changed SPECIAL_WAIT in hopes that it would work, but what happened wasn't at all what I expected. The default value is 2. When I changed it to 10, by pressing the secondary, the shield forcefully drained all the energy in the shield and kept going a little after that (as if I was holding the secondary down the whole time). When I changed it to 0 or 1, the shield became costless (It went forever as long as you held down Secondary; it also didn't play the sound. Interestingly, when the Terminator had low energy and was hit by a DOGI, the shield disappeared for about a half a second).

What I want to do, though, is make it so it doesn't reactivate the shield if the shield is already up. That way a human would be able to easily abuse the shield in the same way the AI does.

SweetSassyMolassy
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 11:22:15 pm »

Yeah, I'm kind of with Death 999 on this one.  Is the point now to simply get dominated by the Dreadnought and Podship?

That might actually be pretty fun, although the Slylandro-speed fighters would make the battle very un-fun.

And why did you make the Thraddash useless?

I am not always understand about what you speak, unfortunately.
jaychant
*Smell* controller

Please visit my homepage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 12:07:04 am »

And why did you make the Thraddash useless?

To take away the abusiveness... and because Thraddash isn't fun...

EDIT: I have made an observation. The Thraddash don't become entirely useless. The ideal strategy simply changes from "Stay a huge distance away and fire" to "Charge in from behind. When you get within range, blast the opponent and then zip out before they can hit you. Then recharge your batteries and repeat". Actually, I think I might double the damage that the Mark 6 blaster inflicts (so, 2 damage).

Also, keep in mind that the Thraddash is still strong against Ur-Quan fighter vessels (although it's still difficult to outrun them, being only slightly faster, you can still fry them).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 01:58:21 am by jaychant » Logged

jaychant
*Smell* controller

Please visit my homepage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 05:07:12 pm »

I've just updated my mod and I think I'll post it here.

New changes from the original UQM:

Ur-Quan: Energy regeneration is now twice as fast.
Primary: Now inflicts 10 damage and has twice the lifetime. Only costs 2 energy to use.
Secondary: Costs no energy to use. Fighters are slightly faster and have a longer range (a little less than half the range of the VUX laser).

Chmmr: Now has 6 zapsats instead of 3.

Mycon: Now has more crew
Primary: Is now twice as fast
Secondary: Now costs much less energy. This means that the only way to beat Mycon is to put it under continuous fire.

Kohr-Ah: The limit for shurikens has been increased from 10 to 40.
Secondary: Now has ten hitpoints instead of 100 (Ur-Quan fusion bolts can now defeat, and even penetrate them).

Spathi:
Secondary: Is now twice as fast, making it more reliable

VUX:
Secondary: Now costs no energy. Also hase twice the lifetime.

Thraddash:
Primary: Range has been cut in half and damage has been increased to 2.

Syreen:
Secondary: Range has been extended

Earthling:
Secondary: Now costs only 1 energy and is really fast (like EP's mod).

Druuge:
Secondary: Now charges the battery almost completely

Slylandro:
Primary: Range extended slightly

Orz: Crew compliment increased from 16 to 32
Secondary: Max marines increased from 8 to 16

Androsynth: Crew compliment and battery raised.

Umgah: Now has normal energy regeneration

Download:
Just the important stuff (must be put in your existing UQM directory)
NOTE: For some reason, it seems you have to use an argument when starting the game. I personally use the fullscreen argument. In that zip file is a shortcut that does this (just replace the directory with whatever directory yours is in). Or you can create the shorcut yourself. If you do this, right click the shortcut, go to Properties, and in the Target box add " -f" to the end.

Cedric6014
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 07:56:57 pm »

Actually I like what you'd done with the Thraddash primary. IF you'd just remove its ability to scoot across the screen with the secondary I think I think you'd made it into a very worthy ship.

Dabir
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 09:28:40 pm »

A way to fix the Thraddash might be to make the Afterburner cost its entire energy bar to use and last for a longer burst instead of individual puffs, possibly increasing the rate of energy recovery to compensate. You've got less running around all over the place with an empty energy bar and a bit more pure monodirectional speed. Add that to what jaychant's done to the gun and you've got a decent hit n' runner right there.
Cedric6014
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 09:38:43 pm »

Its the hit and run nature of thraddash that made it horrible. It should be a medium speed vessel that leaves a trail of fire but cannot scoot across screen.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 11:28:46 pm by Cedric6014 » Logged

Dabir
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 10:51:04 pm »

From what I gather it's the fact that the hit and run doesn't work properly that makes it horrible. This way it would be able to rush in and try to do some damage but also put itself at risk whilst doing so instead of hanging back and sniping, and would have to wait to recharge (ie not firing) to get out at full speed again.
jaychant
*Smell* controller

Please visit my homepage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 03:11:02 am »

Hey Shiver! If you're reading this (which I doubt) it looks like we've come up with a great Thraddash solution:
1. Range halved
2. Weapon damage increased to 2
3. Afterburner activates when you press up, but it shouldn't be as fast.
(Of course I'm not going to try this because I don't know where to look and I'm too lazy to figure out how to do this)

Actually I like what you'd done with the Thraddash primary. IF you'd just remove its ability to scoot across the screen with the secondary I think I think you'd made it into a very worthy ship.

Thraddash would be useless without its afterburner. Maybe I could make it a little slower, but it would have to stay fast. I probably would only adjust the top speed.

Shiver

Email
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 10:09:43 pm »

I skim practically every post on here, so yes you can probably get my attention by leaving a message like that. That Torch doesn't particularly impress me. It's going to come out being too weak to be useful. The problem with the default Torch is that the one particular abusive tactic is the only right way to use the ship in PVP. If you try to do anything fun with the ship then boom, you're dead. A more extensive overhaul is needed. I'll get on it myself eventually, but not soon.

The ship tweaks listed in here are all idiotic, but you seem to be at least partially aware of that so I won't lecture you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length