The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:03:12 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Technical Issues (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Voices on the Mac Version
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Voices on the Mac Version  (Read 2606 times)
roelgiox2
Zebranky food

View Profile
Voices on the Mac Version
« on: March 28, 2009, 06:44:58 pm »

Hey there, so I just got UQM for my mac (I used to play it religiously on my PC). I downloaded the voice addons because  I always liked the character the voices bring. I'm not computer savvy, and I'm even less Mac savvy. I'm sure this question has been asked before, and I looked in the forums a bit to find an answer, but there were none that I saw (or could understand maybe?). My question is this:

How do I get the addon to work with the game  Grin?

and FWIW, I have signed the petition and inspired a few friends to sign it too.. Long live SC!

Thanks in advance for the help.
escher
Zebranky food

View Profile
Re: Voices on the Mac Version
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 01:45:13 am »

Ok, I'm going to spell this out, because I am pretty computer savvy (though still not very Mac savvy) and it took me a little bit of time to get it sorted out.

1.  Download uqm-0.6.0-voice.uqm from http://sc2.sourceforge.net/downloads.php and save it to /Applications/The Ur-Quan Masters.app/Contents/Resources/content/packages/addons/voice.
*** Note:  You will need to create the 'voice' directory.

If you want to run it from Terminal, you can follow the wiki instructions here: http://wiki.uqm.stack.nl/The_Ur-Quan_Masters_Technical_FAQ#How_do_I_use_add-on_packages.3F (note that 'voice' should replace 'ADDONNAME')

If you want to be able to double-click the app and run it, complete the following

2.  Open Terminal
3.  In terminal, do the following:
     3a.  cd /Applications/The\ Ur-Quan\ Masters.app/Contents/MacOS
     3b.  mv The\ Ur-Quan\ Masters uqm
     3c.  vim The\ Ur-Quan\ Masters

In the editor that opens up, hit 'i', then paste the following 2 lines:
#!/bin/sh
/Applications/The\ Ur-Quan\ Masters.app/Contents/MacOS/uqm -n /Applications/The\ Ur-Quan\ Masters.app/Contents/Resources/content --addon voice

Once you've pasted that, hit 'esc' then ':wq!'.  Hit enter to save and quit.  Back in the terminal prompt do:

3d.  chmod +x The\ Ur-Quan\ Masters

Voila!  You can now double-click the app and get voices.  Note that you might need to open the settings to adjust the voice volume (mine had been at 0).

---

This might be a roundabout way to get the double-clicking to work.  As I said, I'm still finding my way around OSX, though I've got a decently strong *nix and Windows background.
CelticMinstrel
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 02:49:10 am »

1.  Download uqm-0.6.0-voice.uqm from http://sc2.sourceforge.net/downloads.php and save it to /Applications/The Ur-Quan Masters.app/Contents/Resources/content/packages/addons/voice.
...What? I just placed it in Ur-Quan Masters.app/Contents/Resources/content/packages/ and it worked...
escher
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 03:26:00 am »

...What? I just placed it in Ur-Quan Masters.app/Contents/Resources/content/packages/ and it worked...

Maybe I over complicated it.  I was just trying to follow the wiki's instructions, and it says to run it via the terminal.  Oh well.
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 08:20:49 am »

Maybe I over complicated it.  I was just trying to follow the wiki's instructions, and it says to run it via the terminal.  Oh well.
The voice package is not considered an add-on in 0.62; however, it will be in the future (the current SVN version already has all the 3DO content as add-ons).

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
CelticMinstrel
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 05:44:44 am »

Will there also be an in-game way to enable or disable add-ons, then? Because running via Terminal doesn't seem like a good solution...
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 11:38:25 am »

Will there also be an in-game way to enable or disable add-ons, then? Because running via Terminal doesn't seem like a good solution...
The current SVN version has the ability to toggle 3DO videos, 3DO music and Precursors remixes. A complete resource configuration menu is planned but not complete.

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length