The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:29:03 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Keyboard/mouse input
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Keyboard/mouse input  (Read 5912 times)
Bigryan
Frungy champion

View Profile
Keyboard/mouse input
« on: February 16, 2010, 10:40:56 pm »

Hi, I'm a making a SC tribute game.  The original star controls only had keyboard input.  How important is mouse use to this style of gaming nowadays?
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
Re: Keyboard/mouse input
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 05:04:34 pm »

Important enough that someone I know who would have liked the game tried it for about a minute, uninstalled it, and said, 'get back to me when it has mouse support.'
ziper1221
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 05:39:55 pm »

That was my original opinion until I really got into it.

Bigryan
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 02:16:55 pm »

Yeah,  I think players now expect it.   Adding it isn't so difficult, the problem is deciding how it should be added I guess.   

In combat, would that be cool to have your ship rotate and move towards the mouse pointer? 
Dabir
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 02:37:13 pm »

Mouse pointers move fast, ships have limited turning rates and directions. If the cursor had some artificial speed limitation I can see it working for a game with more possible angles than SC's 16, but that's getting dangerously close to geometry wars.
Alvarin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 04:37:55 pm »

If you have battle system like in the game "Abuse", where you steer your character by keyboard and your shooting aim by mouse it could work. Especially for the ORZ. Mouse is most essensial in the game options and inventory, I think, rather than in the combat itself. Also is useful in dialogues.
RTyp06
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 05:20:34 pm »

For UQM I'd rather be able to use a USB, dual shock, joypad. Typically with 8 buttons. Everybody has 'em these days. Mouse control for melee would be annoying .
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 06:41:05 pm »

The mouse support she wanted was just for the menus. Key control for ship combat is only fair.
SweetSassyMolassy
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 07:32:07 pm »

The mouse support she wanted was just for the menus. Key control for ship combat is only fair.

Is that really a huge improvement? It isn't that hard to scroll through the menu options using the up/down arrows. The only thing I think it would improve greatly is map navigation. Overall I think the improvements would be kind of minor.

I am not always understand about what you speak, unfortunately.
Dragon
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 09:13:43 pm »

For UQM I'd rather be able to use a USB, dual shock, joypad. Typically with 8 buttons. Everybody has 'em these days. Mouse control for melee would be annoying .
I'd also rather have gamepad support than mouse support.  And now I'm going to stop typing before I start ranting about Direct Input/XInput again.
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 09:54:40 am »

UQM works fine with a gamepad; I'm using a Logitech Dual Action to play UQM 0.6.2 as I type (just to prove I don't need to give input focus to the UQM window at all). No use of the setup menu was needed other than to map the "escape" combat action to a button and assign the joystick to a player; the default setup allowed navigation of menus using the both the D-pad and left stick (and buttons 1 and 2). You don't really need to touch the keyboard at all except to pause, exit and so on (and this can even be mitigated with a little strategic editing of keys.cfg). However, there is a bug in UQM (that I can't find a Bugzilla entry for; probably because the control configuration system was rewritten, fixing the bug, before the bug was discovered) that essentially deletes any joystick/gamepad from the configuration files if you start UQM without it; to reset this and gain access to your gamepad, delete keys.cfg from your UQM configuration directory.

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
RTyp06
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 06:53:05 pm »

Wow! Thank you Novus.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 06:25:41 pm »

Is that really a huge improvement? It isn't that hard to scroll through the menu options using the up/down arrows. The only thing I think it would improve greatly is map navigation. Overall I think the improvements would be kind of minor.

That's what I said.

(edited to clarify: that's what I said to her)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 11:21:31 pm by Death 999 » Logged
SweetSassyMolassy
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 07:03:17 pm »

Actually, the more I think about it, hyperspace navigation without using autopilot would be pretty near impossible if you used mouse only for navigation. Unless you pointed on a section of the mini map and wherever you clicked the ship went.

I am not always understand about what you speak, unfortunately.
CelticMinstrel
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 11:29:17 pm »

Indeed, I would not want to use a mouse to replace the arrow keys in controlling the ship. Using the mouse for the user interface only is fine (it would be most useful in the Hyperspace map).
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length