The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:03:59 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Couple of questions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Couple of questions  (Read 1530 times)
sakalava47
Zebranky food

View Profile
Couple of questions
« on: October 21, 2011, 12:46:32 am »

I'm sorry if these questions have been asked before.

1. There is an option on the set up menu to adjust the resources, but it says that this feature should be expected in a future edition. Is that correct?
2. At the end, when I fight the Sa Matra, I can either fight it, but after the shield is down nothing happens and I just die. Or I can choose "converse" and it cuts to the talking pet saying he's stuck and the end sequence happens. Is this a bug? Do I have an old version?
3. With the Mycon, aren't you supposed to be able to use your energy to grow new people? I pushed shift and control but it only shot an orb and the syreen killed me.  Cry
onpon4
Enlightened

Sharing is good.

View Profile WWW
Re: Couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 02:28:57 am »

1. There is an option on the set up menu to adjust the resources, but it says that this feature should be expected in a future edition. Is that correct?

Actually, I've wondered about this forever myself ever since I first came across UQM. What exactly is the "resource options" thing?

2. At the end, when I fight the Sa Matra, I can either fight it, but after the shield is down nothing happens and I just die. Or I can choose "converse" and it cuts to the talking pet saying he's stuck and the end sequence happens. Is this a bug? Do I have an old version?

Did you just fight the Sa-Matra (take the shield down)? You just need to fly into the little gap to win the game. If that's what triggered the end sequence, that's normal. You won.

Or, did you not fight the Sa-Matra at all? Sounds like  you had the cyborg turned on. If you do, the fight with the Sa-Matra just skips, IIRC.

EDIT: Converse and Fight should do exactly the same thing. The Talking Pet complains about being stuck after explaining how to defeat it, then the fight starts (if the cyborg is on, it just goes to the cutscene).

3. With the Mycon, aren't you supposed to be able to use your energy to grow new people? I pushed shift and control but it only shot an orb and the syreen killed me.  Cry

It's just Special, which I believe is Shift by default, to regenerate crew. You need full battery to use it.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 02:31:18 am by onpon4 » Logged

Wolframm
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 07:11:06 pm »

Actually, I've wondered about this forever myself ever since I first came across UQM. What exactly is the "resource options" thing?
I don't know what "resource options" was supposed to become in UQM, but I have a theory.

In original SC2, resource.exe, which was included in the game diskette was a separate executable file which contained a massive text info on a game (planets, star coordinates, ships, races) written by TFB. It also exists in PDF format.
Here's the link:
http://cd.textfiles.com/pcgamesexe/pcge199807/STARCON2/MANUAL/RESOURCE.PDF
And I guess I don't have to mention how much SPOILERS this thing has.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 07:25:17 pm by Wolframm » Logged
sakalava47
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 08:42:19 pm »

Thanks for the responses guys.

onpon4,

When I converse, it just skips to the end without a fight. and I do not have cyborg on. When I attack, I destroy the red globe things and the shield goes down, I run my Pkunk Fury into it and nothing happens. I've tried this a few times.  So to "win" I just defeat the Sa Matra then reload and choose "converse" to win the game.
Wolframm
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 09:44:32 pm »

You have to run your flagship in, not the Fury. The flagship is the one with a huge bomb installed on it.
onpon4
Enlightened

Sharing is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 01:30:19 am »

Thanks for the responses guys.

onpon4,

When I converse, it just skips to the end without a fight. and I do not have cyborg on. When I attack, I destroy the red globe things and the shield goes down, I run my Pkunk Fury into it and nothing happens. I've tried this a few times.  So to "win" I just defeat the Sa Matra then reload and choose "converse" to win the game.

Like Wolframm said, you need to fly the flagship in. Press Esc to recall the Fury and then send in the flagship.

That behavior with Converse sounds odd. What version is it? That bug doesn't exist in 0.6.2, but maybe it got introduced in 0.7.0.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length