The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:13:42 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  StarControl IIa by Stardock?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: StarControl IIa by Stardock?  (Read 2950 times)
Krulle
Enlightened

*Hurghi*! Krulle is *spitting* again!

View Profile
StarControl IIa by Stardock?
« on: March 03, 2014, 09:55:46 pm »

A few days ago I checked the wikipedia page for Star Control
Stardock officially acquired the rights to the game in July 2013. It was recently announced, as of January 6, 2014, that Stardock has started a Star Control reboot with an estimated 2015 release.
and found that there is a line that Stardock announced a new Star Control reboot (estimated release 2015).

First: Yay!
Second: What do you think? Just one more rumour, or a real try?

Anyway, looks more like a game in the style of SC2, like an alternative reality, or so...
It won't be a continuation but more akin to a revisit (ala XCOM using Star Control 2 as the inspiration and start back before the earthlings were in any kind of slave shield). We'll be talking more about our plans as we go forward.

We won't be making any changes to the existing Star Control games. And Atari doesn't actually own the copyright on Star Control 1/2 so it's not like one could make a Star Control 2 HD or what have you without a license from Paul Reiche. And even if we did have rights to SC 1/2 I wouldn't touch them without his blessing.

I think what most Star Control fans are looking for is a new Star Control game where the inspiration comes from Star Control 2. They want a game with fun, adventure and top down ship battles like in Star Control 2 that all play within a fun sci fi universe. Preferably one with Ur-Quan and Spathi and lots of insults.

(I tried to find a post about this, alas only news about the aquirement of the name rights popped up)
onpon4
Enlightened

Sharing is good.

View Profile WWW
Re: StarControl IIa by Stardock?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 10:54:30 pm »

This was discussed on here as it happened in this topic: http://forum.uqm.stack.nl/index.php?topic=2959.0

I'm not personally interested, because I'm sure it will be a proprietary software game.

Anyway, looks more like a game in the style of SC2, like an alternative reality, or so...

You probably already know this, but just in case, those screenshots in that article you linked to are of Star Control II, not the new Star Control game. The new one doesn't have screenshots right now, AFAIK.

It's not supposed to be an alternative storyline, but rather a story taking place either between Star Control and Star Control II, or prior to Star Control.

Krulle
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 10:15:20 am »

Well, I got hooked to SC when it was proprietary software, so....
Yes, I recgnised the images as from SCII.

We'll see what comes up. And thanks for the link.

Edit: not much discussion there. Actually just a link to an article in this post..
No reply to that one yet.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 10:20:09 am by Krulle » Logged
UrQuanian
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 12:41:03 pm »

Not sure what you are referring to as "not much discussion" in the link provided by onpon4 it's extensively being discussed with 17 pages already, having said that not much news of it yet, i hope they do their very best to make this game happen and exciting as the original SC2.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 12:44:43 pm by UrQuanian » Logged
grayfox777
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 07:57:39 am »

I am looking forward to this. Hopefully my computer will be able to run it. Hopefully it will be an amazing game & not a pile of crap.  Huh

"If you have 'Peace', you simply haven't yet seen the thing that's trying to kill you." -Spathi
Krulle
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 10:16:48 am »

@UrQuanian: the discussion is about the support we should show TfB to make a new game (sign the petition)
It was not a discussion about the possible re-make by Stardock.

@grayfox: I am looking forward to it too.
UrQuanian
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 02:57:37 pm »

Stardock got the rights so they will make the game (hopefully), As mentioned Paul  will likely (hopefully) be doing work for it under Stardock, doesn't seem like TfB will be doing it on their own.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 02:59:21 pm by UrQuanian » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length