The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:13:13 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  What are the best/worst UGM voiceovers?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: What are the best/worst UGM voiceovers?  (Read 3933 times)
Louis

Email
What are the best/worst UGM voiceovers?
« on: March 23, 2003, 07:05:16 pm »

Best would have to go to either the Spathi or the Shofixti, as far as sounding what you might think those races should sound like and the range of emotion the lines were delivered with.

The worst would easily have to be the Orz, who sound like your stereotypical gay robots.

The most disappointing...well the Ur-Quan were just a bunch of mumblers. Sure, they were talking through Talking Pets, but with the booming music of the Kzer-Za, I would've expected sort of a booming voice. The Zot-Fot-Pik were also pretty weak. The Chmmr were just unbearable to listen to, but I guess that's what a crystalized robot would sound like.

Anyone else find it weird that the Talking Pet sounds like a Midwest trucker? I imagined it would sound like Krang, from the old Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon series.
RockasaurusRex2000
*Many bubbles*

Pheonix Mirror.

View Profile
Re: What are the best/worst UGM voiceovers?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2003, 11:18:12 pm »

Best would have to go to either the Spathi or the Shofixti, as far as sounding what you might think those races should sound like and the range of emotion the lines were delivered with.

The worst would easily have to be the Orz, who sound like your stereotypical gay robots.

Hehe-MAN WTF GAME ARE YOU PLAYING??!?

The most disappointing...well the Ur-Quan were just a bunch of mumblers. Sure, they were talking through Talking Pets, but with the booming music of the Kzer-Za, I would've expected sort of a booming voice. The Zot-Fot-Pik were also pretty weak. The Chmmr were just unbearable to listen to, but I guess that's what a crystalized robot would sound like.

I dunno, I thought the Ur-quan to be pretty vile sounding I guess, their voice wasnt exactly mumbling, as for the TP, yea i agree, their trucker accent thing was a little strange. Personally, SORRY TO MENTION SC3!!! but in Sc3, I thought the Spathi voices were very funny. Sorta sounds like HomestarRunner.

I really like the Thraddash voice. Sound like tough gangsters.

Spoon!
RockasaurusRex2000
*Many bubbles*

Pheonix Mirror.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2003, 11:18:55 pm »

ahh damn, the quote thing messed up. hehe, ahhh...

Spoon!
Matticus
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2003, 04:59:50 am »

I agree about the Kzer-Za, but mostly because they talk too slowly. The Kohr-Ah were much, much better.

Anyone else find it weird that the Talking Pet sounds like a Midwest trucker? I imagined it would sound like Krang, from the old Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon series.

You too?? That was exactly what I thought when I first saw the Talking Pet! Oh well, I guess not everything works out how it should. =)

Oddly enough, I don't like the Spathi voice where Fwiffo's concerned, but the rest of the time I think it's fine.

philosophy is the talk on a cereal box
religion is a smile on a dog
Nic.

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2003, 05:21:08 am »

I agree about the Kzer-Za, but mostly because they talk too slowly. The Kohr-Ah were much, much better.

Here's a fun trick you can play with the Ur-Quan:

When you enter comms with them, hit the right arrow many times in fairly rapid succession as they're talking.  Because the actor chose to play the part a little on the hammy side, he wound up taking a breath at the start of each screenful of subtitles.  So, if you rapidly skip from screen to screen, you'll hear the Ur-Quan pant, huff and wheeze at you.  Kind of funny considering that they're supposed to be badasses..  Smiley

As far as the voices go, I am of the firm opinion that the Ur-Quan should have sounded like the voice that says "launch fighters!" in melee mode.  Similarly, the Orz should have sounded like the "GO! GO!" voice in melee, and the Pkunk should have sounded like their taunts ("idiot!" "jerk!")  That they don't just makes it seem inconsistent to me.  But I'm sure that's just me...

...and who else thinks the Shofixti sounds like Mojo Jojo?  Anyone?  Smiley
Sudo_Nym
Frungy champion

I have powers...   Political Powers!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2003, 08:06:16 am »

Did the Ur-Quan get rid of the Dynarri for SC3?  They should  sound different without their translators.  I can't decide whether it would be better to give them menacing voices or make them wussy.  
Shiver

Email
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2003, 08:08:21 am »

Mojo Jojo, yes. With the speed doubled.
Omni-Sama
*Smell* controller

Zebranky-Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2003, 02:30:41 am »

I absoulte hated the Orz's voice for the 3D0 version...  it doesn't sound comforting or disturbing in any way.  I like the description as a "gay robot".  Hehe.  It's so true.  The SC3 Orz voice was much more inspired.  They sound a little...  "off".  And of course you get to hear the computer translations in all their glory.  The change from high pitch voice to the low, computer blips was so funny to hear.   Grin

"Even Our House Pets Are Rather Evil." - Ilwrath Captain
RockasaurusRex2000
*Many bubbles*

Pheonix Mirror.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2003, 03:12:04 am »

how bout the syreen voice?  Kiss very nice.

Spoon!
Mr_Pennybags

Email
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2003, 06:36:47 am »

I haven't heard all the voices yet cause I didn't download on the computer I've played the game through with, but I agree with many that the Shofixti sound the best/most amusing.  I find the Zoq-fot and Spathi also work well.  I didn't really like the Kzer-za as it sounded like someone without a deep voice was trying to talk as deeply and slowly as possible, which led to mumbly speech.  I also thought the Illwrath sounded fairly weak.  Maybe its harder to sound evil than amusing.

On a semi-related note, I think it would be cool to hear both the Kzer-za speech and the Talking Pet's translation at the same time when talking to the Ur-Quan like when you hear traslantors on TV, you hear the original language in the background, which in the case of the Ur-Quan would probably be a deep, semi-violent rumbling or something like.

Scott
*Many bubbles*

does whatever a spider can

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2003, 07:29:36 pm »

Voice-acting is the only thing that SC3 did WAY better than 2.

Anyway... I think the Spathi, the Ilwrath, the Yehat, and the Shofixti are all really well done. I also like the Utwig... they sound exactly like the whiners they are.
RockasaurusRex2000
*Many bubbles*

Pheonix Mirror.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2003, 03:45:03 am »

I liked the revived precursor's voice in SC3

Spoon!
EldritchEvil
Zebranky food

Only eats Khor-Ah!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2003, 09:34:20 pm »

Best: Human, Spathi, Thraddash, Supox.

Worst: Slylandro, Orz (Which always sound like they're hitting on me; "Heeee-looooooOOO.")

Best for SC3:  Xchagger, Ktang, Orz

Worst: Spathi, Ploxis, Chmrr

www.warsmith.org

Go!  Go!  Go!
EkcoTimer
Zebranky food

If it sells, it's art.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2003, 10:18:07 pm »

Best: Illwrath: pretty evil sounding.
Worst: Umgah-hard to understand

"I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets."
Kohr-Ah_Primat
*Smell* controller

Lady Marauder

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2003, 11:19:45 am »

You know, that's exactly the same voice I would've expected. Then again, it's not surprising, given they have similar facial features.

We are the Ur-Quan Kohr-Ah.
Our nature, the fulfillment of our fate requires your destruction.
You are filth. It is now your time to be cleansed.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length