The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:26:02 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Good ol' DOS version
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Good ol' DOS version  (Read 2134 times)
Yebisu
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
Good ol' DOS version
« on: March 30, 2003, 08:29:08 pm »

First of all, let me say I'm very enthusiastic about this project.
I've not really had a chance to play The Ur-Quan Masters yet, but
I've been playing the old PC-version again recently.(for the 5th time or so)
The PC-version I have Works fine, except for the soundblaster-sound, which is being generated by my PC-speaker for some odd reason. If I remember correctly it used to work normally on my old PC, which had a soundblaster 2.0 if I'm not mistaken. My current soundblaster is a standard soundblaster 16, some 4 or 5 years old.
Actually, this problem led me to discover The Ur-Quan Masters as I was trying to find a solution on the internet.
I haven't seen much of the 3DO game yet, but still I think I'd prefer the PC-version.  
First of all in terms of graphics layout(full screen size!) and easier menu handling. Furthermore, when in contact with other species and such, the species picture frame seems very stretched compared to the PC-version, and the message-playing-progress-statusbar(or whatever you might call it), well...it kinda hurts my eyes.
While playing melee, when totally zoomed-out, some projectiles being shot by vessels are sometimes just partially visible or completely invisible. The zooming effect seems nice enough(in the PC-version the screen just jumps to a more zoomed image), but it is kinda shocky and a bit disorienting.
Of course, this is just my personal opinion, which might even still change through the course of playing The Ur-Quan Masters. Also, some nostalgic sentiment might be doing me part in this opinion.
Anyway, the primary reason I joined this forum, was to ask about the above problem and to stay informed about the progress of this project and maybe even try to be an active part in it, although this probably won't be much more than doing some bug reports and trying to spread my enthusiasm on this game to other people.
Oh well, it's always nice to share this enthusiasm with other people.
Awaiting your responce...
Greetingz,

Yebisu

Defender
Enlightened

View Profile
www.Re: Good ol' DOS version
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2003, 09:07:57 pm »

well where to start?
first off you can goto full screen by adding -f to the command line in your shortcut. its in the manual plus a few other extras. if you like the layout of the pc version you can still have that by passing different command line options.
--menu pc: this gives you the option to use pc style menus and not the pictograms. just read the manual.

about the melee problem, i recommend downloading and installing (Strikers) uqm build. it is (for the most part) an update of bug fixes in the cvs. go here:
www.4u-servers.co.uk/~striker/
also this is not surpported by the uqm team so if you incounter bugs make sure that first they havent been reported and second that its version 0.2a and not the build causing your problem. also this is all Strikers creation and if you want to give any thanks direct it towards him, im just spreading the word. Wink~DEFIANT
Matticus
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
Re: Good ol' DOS version
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2003, 10:21:43 pm »

The PC-version I have Works fine, except for the soundblaster-sound, which is being generated by my PC-speaker for some odd reason. If I remember correctly it used to work normally on my old PC, which had a soundblaster 2.0 if I'm not mistaken. My current soundblaster is a standard soundblaster 16, some 4 or 5 years old.

Have you tried typing /s:sblaster in the command line? That always worked for me back in the days when I could still play the DOS version. I really dig UQM though, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

philosophy is the talk on a cereal box
religion is a smile on a dog
Yebisu
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2003, 10:56:25 pm »

To Defiant:
Guess I'll just blame not reading the manual on laziness.
I'll try striker, thanx for spreading the word!

To Matticus:
Yes, I have tried that command-line and no, it didn't work.
But I'm sure I'll enjoy playing UQM, thanx!
Niahak
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2003, 12:46:30 am »

DOS SC2: I had the same problem, but I eventually fixed it by getting a DOS driver for my Soundblaster.  I don't remember exactly where I got it (google search is what I used to find it) but once I had gotten the driver and put it into my boot disk it worked fine.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length