The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:59:29 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Returning player: game is now 100% impossible, cannot progress!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Returning player: game is now 100% impossible, cannot progress!  (Read 2390 times)
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
Re: Returning player: game is now 100% impossible, cannot progress!
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2017, 04:32:27 am »

Class 3 weather is dangerous. Class 5 tectonics is something you can deal with with a little practice. So that should help.

Alpha Centauri's inner planets are too rough for me to handle.

Also, you may notice that your flagship starts out terrible in a fight. So if you give up on fighting with it and strip it of anything that can be used to fight, that frees up a lot more resources. Once you have spare resources, you can load it up again.

Disassembling and reassembling is at 100% efficiency. Except, you can't rebuild alien ships you couldn't build from scratch.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 02:46:44 pm by Death 999 » Logged
Krulle
Enlightened

*Hurghi*! Krulle is *spitting* again!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2017, 10:21:41 am »

Yeah, I remember the time I found that out. Formt hat moment onward, I saw my flagship as the re-fill station for any crew my battle group needed.... I also used the Spathi ship, it has a large crew compartment, and is not a really good ship for most fights... (although it excels in the ones needed at the start of the game: the Probes and the Avengers (I always went start-mining in Volantis systems, and a bit of practice can amke the Eluder kill cloaked Avengers easily: just get the Backwards Utilized Tracking Torpedo aimed slightly off the Avenger, he'll uncloak very briefly to shoot it down (but thus activating the auto-alignment - and the fire misses the BUTT), which makes the BUTT curve around and hit))
Mormont
*Smell* controller

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2017, 04:04:44 pm »

You'll usually take some damage from class 3 lightning, but only a few crew and it is worth it for good planets unless you're already low on crew (though I'll admit from a role-playing perspective this sounds really callous!). Class 4 is where it really gets dicey.

Alpha Centauri's inner planets are still cooler than most supergiants' outer worlds and can be mined at manageable risk if you land right by the deposit, grab it, and go back up. It's only worth the trouble for the inner ruby world and maybe one or two others though.

Well, as you can see players have different views on risk management in mining! You can figure out from our advice what works best for you.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 04:15:06 pm by Mormont » Logged
orobouros
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2017, 10:37:26 pm »

Thanks everybody.  Having discovered the HD modded version, I've been trying to get that to work, and failing.  I'll start a new thread for that, though, since all the existing ones are way old.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length