The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:41:38 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Raise the difficulty?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Raise the difficulty?  (Read 9980 times)
Shiver

Email
Raise the difficulty?
« on: February 12, 2004, 06:02:18 am »

UQM needs a hard mode so I (and many others, I would hope) can have something to look forward next time I play it through. Who's with me?

Er, I do mean after version 1.0 of course.

-WISH-LIST-

* For starters, Ur-Quan and Kohr-Ah computer ships need to smarten up and stop chasing me when I'm using Fwiffo. Ideally, a Spathi should be hard pressed to win against even one of those.

* After two months or so of game time, the original hierarchy Earth guard (6 Ilwrath and 6 Spathi) should arrive back at Earth and wait patiently to kick the crap out of you. If you approach the Spathi High Council before this time, they should tell you to go away.

* Everything costs twice as much.

* All rainbow worlds should have fairly powerful hostile fleets guarding them for no particular reason.

* The Ur-Quan and Kohr-Ah figure out how dangerous you are and occasionally send large fleets to track you down.

* Half as many charity ships are given out by friendly races.

* The Ur-Quan have their own precursor tug (just like yours, except cooler) that you have to fight near the end of the game.
lightman
Frungy champion

Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game

View Profile WWW
Re: Raise the difficulty?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 06:14:27 am »

I like it... except for the last idea. How about just making the Sa-Matra more difficult?

Sure! Sure! Friends for sure! Who cares about boring old Ur-Quan and their slave laws? Har! Har! Har!
FalconMWC
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 06:15:24 am »

Here is a really good thread to start this one - acually it is made by you Shiver!  Smiley

http://uqm.stack.nl/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Gendiscuss;action=display;num=1043721872;start=
Shiver

Email
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 06:33:14 am »

Oh geez, I almost forgot that one. But really, the variants get tiring after a while. That's kind of why this topic has sprouted up.

Someone has pointed out that fighting another 'tug would be tacky, and I'll concede to that. But it would be nice to have a boss other than the stationary Sa-Matra.
lightman
Frungy champion

Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2004, 02:53:42 pm »

Here's an idea: try winning the game with the computer fighting all the battles for you, maybe even on the lowest setting...

Sure! Sure! Friends for sure! Who cares about boring old Ur-Quan and their slave laws? Har! Har! Har!
Spurk
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2004, 05:42:18 pm »

Here is a really good thread to start this one - acually it is made by you Shiver!  Smiley

http://uqm.stack.nl/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Gendiscuss;action=display;num=1043721872;start=

Okay, I'm finally going to have to ask, why do you people, whenever some topic is brought up, say "We discussed this last year" and link to that thread? Can't it just be discussed again?
FalconMWC
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2004, 06:01:56 pm »

Sure - But it really should all be kept in one thread. The reason why I brought that up is because that way we can talk the thread from long ago and add our own. Notice that it has already happened. I suppose if you like having it in two threads that could work as well - It is just to me that does not look as good. Also it is a good discussion primer.
Spurk
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2004, 06:20:52 pm »

Also it is a good discussion primer.

And a long one as well. Often I drop out of any conversations that require me to read 8 pages of the thread just to post my thoughts.
FalconMWC
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2004, 06:37:44 pm »

You don't have to read 8 pages! - I only read the first and last one - just to get some ideas.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2004, 08:37:25 pm »

Well, the 8 pasges can help you gain insight about your own thoughts. Has someopne already suggested what you were thinking about, waht were the conter arguments, what were the counter counter arguments, and so on. He who does not learn from histroy is doomed to repeat past mistakes and all that...

What's up doc?
FalconMWC
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2004, 08:45:12 pm »

Accually almost all those ideas were brought up in that thread Shiver - Adn all of them have counter-arguments and suggestions.
Culture20
Enlightened

Thraddash Flower Child

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2004, 02:06:17 am »

Remember the last few Ur-Quan that remain with the Sa-Matra?  What if the game engine were changed to allow those ships (maybe not as ships code-wise, but as other objects which happen to look and act like ships) battle during the Sa-Matra fight?  Try using 1 pkunk against all those ships, and the shield generators.

Also, possibily a time limit on the Sa-Matra; if you don't complete it in time, the Annihilation Toroids start firing...
Shiver

Email
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2004, 02:08:37 am »

I would like to point out that these two threads are not the same issue. One of them is how to make the game more challenging within the confines of how it is now, the other is a suggestion to implement new things directly into the game for an alternate difficulty setting later on.
FalconMWC
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2004, 05:16:45 am »

Oops my bad - but those interact with each other sometimes. That would be cool (And very hard) to fight the guards and the Sa-matra at the same time. Also a time limit would be nice.
Chrispy
Enlightened

Vlik Dweller

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2004, 03:29:57 am »

I love the idea of making new starcontrol stuff, but I'd prefer it went into some new starcontrol game. Sequel, prequel, something completely different like my shofixti first person rpg.

I hate it when people bring up old topics.I prefer a topic that is fresh in my minde, and that I am well versed in.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length