The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:41:09 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  sc3
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: sc3  (Read 2424 times)
michael
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
sc3
« on: March 13, 2005, 02:17:25 pm »

I think your kind of unfair to sc3 it's not as good as sc2 but is a 6.5-7.0 that said I think of it as an unrelated game and don't aply any of there explenations to sc2.
Shiver

Email
Re: sc3
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 05:42:33 pm »

And this is worth its own topic, how?
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
SC3 is just total, plain, run of the mill, shit.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 11:32:35 pm »

"I think your kind of unfair to sc3"

I think not. SC3 is shit.

"And this is worth its own topic, how?"

I don't know, but it gave me a chance to call SC3 "shit" and that's worth something to me.  Cry

Mr.__Fwiffo
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 02:44:53 am »

I downloaded star control 3 and #1.  SC2 is the best.  I think SC3 is based on SC1 and I haven't even figured out how to play of them yet.
michael
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 04:42:36 am »

And this is worth its own topic, how?
and that was worth it's own post how lol.
Cronos
*Many bubbles*

Shofixti Scoutmaster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 08:44:04 am »

I downloaded star control 3 and #1.  SC2 is the best.  I think SC3 is based on SC1 and I haven't even figured out how to play of them yet.

No.

SC1 started the whole thing, SC2 expands upon the scenarios and histories portrayed in SC1.

SC3 takes what was established storyline wise in SC1 & 2 and sodomises them with a baseball bat.

All the mysteries and questions as well as the ambiguity of SC2? Gone. Replaced by lame/non-sensical answers that are unsatisfying or leave a bad taste in ones mouth (Cosmic un-devolver, YECH!).

The isometric Melee was balls and even the 2d arena was poorly done. Planet gravity was a problem and if you think the AI was mediocre in SC2 (some ships need some serious fixing in SC2) then the AI in SC3 made battles nigh on unwinnable.

Recognise SC3 for what it was: A way to kill the plot elements so that Accolade could make an action space arcade game with little to no plot (Star Con).

As a game it required, nay, NEEDED, polish, lots and lots and lots of polish.

Trying to find an indiviual star? Good luck finding it in a star field with about a hundred or so stars there. Fuel? You have to wait for it to build up. And wait. And wait. And WAIT. Hell, I spent more time waiting for fuel then actually playing the damn game. And then theres the question of having the flagship suddenly becoming non-modular and have an infinite capacity for fuel, whilst your colonies with a whole planets worth of room can only hold a limited amount (forcing you to constantly travel between your colonies to ensure efficiency).

And dont get me started on Colony management. It was so dumbed down and non-existent that it makes my blood boil. Civilization had a more complicated city-management system then SC3 ever had.

I spent 8 hours total playing that game on and off over the period of a week, and I quite frankly want my 8 hours back.

Enough ranting now, time to level my Troll Mage in WoW =)
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 03:00:39 pm »

The isometric Melee was balls and even the 2d arena was poorly done. Planet gravity was a problem and if you think the AI was mediocre in SC2 (some ships need some serious fixing in SC2) then the AI in SC3 made battles nigh on unwinnable.

SC3's melee was particularly annoying: give the computer a fast ship and it uses it to run away and the battle takes forever. Great fun. Even worse with a Skiff.

Trying to find an indiviual star? Good luck finding it in a star field with about a hundred or so stars there.

SC3 actually had (IIRC) a search feature on the star map. Type the first few letters of the star name and it highlights the star. I'd like to see that feature in UQM.

Fuel? You have to wait for it to build up. And wait. And wait. And WAIT. Hell, I spent more time waiting for fuel then actually playing the damn game.

You did realise that you can adjust the speed of the game so that 1 second of real time becomes, say, 1 week in game time? That helps a lot.

And then theres the question of having the flagship suddenly becoming non-modular and have an infinite capacity for fuel, whilst your colonies with a whole planets worth of room can only hold a limited amount (forcing you to constantly travel between your colonies to ensure efficiency).

Now that was just plain weird.

And dont get me started on Colony management. It was so dumbed down and non-existent that it makes my blood boil. Civilization had a more complicated city-management system then SC3 ever had.

Management... Oh yeah. You could tell them whether you needed more ships or more fuel or more production facilities. I'd forgotten about that. But seriously, the only purpose of the colonies was to give you fuel, ships and crew, and you invariably had too little of everything in the beginning and too much in the end. SC2 suffers from this to a much lesser degree.

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length