The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:23:48 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  SC1 Tactical Campaign
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: SC1 Tactical Campaign  (Read 11004 times)
harth1026
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
SC1 Tactical Campaign
« on: April 27, 2005, 02:56:04 am »

I've been playing around with version 0.3 for a while and playing around with the code a bit to see what does what.  I love what you guys did with the game to make it playable on today's hardware.  Anyway, I was curious how difficult it would be to include a SC1 style tactical campaign to a future build of Ur-quan Masters.  While I love the SC2 campaign, I've been wanting to see an updated version of the SC1 campaign with the newer ships and all.

I would love to help out with this, but although I got a few years of C++ experience, I'm a complete newbie with game programming.  But I'll do what I can.  Is something like this possible?
michael
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
Re: SC1 Tactical Campaign
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 04:04:36 am »

I would love to help out with this, but although I got a few years of C++ experience, I'm a complete newbie with game programming.  But I'll do what I can.  Is something like this possible?

it would be hard as all they did was compile the source and make it work making a new game inside of it would be harder. I also know some C++ but haven't done anything past pick a num between 1 and 10 in games Smiley. in other words yes it can be done....when you are done send us the beta.
GeomanNL
*Many bubbles*

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 04:22:01 am »

I'm working on twx : it's a different game, but it aims at creating an rts game in the SC2 universe. Perhaps you'd like to lend a helping hand on that, in case our ideas on an rts don't deviate too much ? It's in C++. PS. Arne is also working on a different rts, and he makes some nice art, so you're not the only one who likes the idea.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 04:30:39 am by GeomanNL » Logged
Strange_Will
Frungy champion

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 06:09:31 am »

Okay I know in VB6 you plug in the direct X engine and program basically in Direct X, is there any difference in C++?
Arne
Enlightened

Yak!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 12:26:13 pm »

I guess it would be possible to do a non action version quite easily. You could basically just have the star map, which you play most of the game on, moving fleets around (sort of like how the fleet circles work in SCII). Instead of mining you use planets/systems as bases/factories/resources.
A 2D lookup table with all shiptypes could be used to calculate winning odds.
The fleet battle screen could use one static angle of each ship. Each side racks up the ships participating, and then they just explode away gradually until one side has lost all.

This would be relatively easy to code I think. Not much gfx or battle physics/ai.
Arne
Enlightened

Yak!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 01:20:17 pm »

Sort of like this for the battles.

Instead of giving the ships hitpoints and stats, the game just looks up the probability of winning for each ship against another. The amount of ships serves as hitpoints instead. It also makes the battles look big.

I think a much better idea (than the one on the pic) is to allow the player to arrange the ships in any order, and then the ships fight in that order. This way there'll be a lot of tactics in the way you arrange ships.

The ships could scroll in and annihilate as they meet on the middle. This would allow for fleets bigger than the screen.

I guess a weakness with having the ships in any order might be that you can put them in a chaotic order and not have a weakness. A solution to this might to restrict the mix to full columns (10-20) of the same ship.
GeomanNL
*Many bubbles*

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 05:24:11 pm »

I don't think that would be much fun.
harth1026
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 07:05:13 pm »

Actually, my idea is simply just to add the SC1 style tactical campaign.  Where you just simply move your ships through a rotating 3D starmap and when they come in contact with an enemy, they go through standard one-on-one battle mode to see who controls the planet.  Kinda similar to how Archon is played.  Arne, while your ideas sound like a lot of fun, I do believe that taking away the actual one-on-one battles would take away from what makes Star Control so great.  What would be interesting is if you can actually get all of those ships in a real-time battle mode so you can see all of the ships fighting at the same time.  That would be really fun.

I guess for now, I'll just play around with the code.  It shouldn't be too difficult if I just put some time into it.
GeomanNL
*Many bubbles*

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 07:17:44 pm »

Ok... well enjoy yourself Smiley
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005, 08:28:30 pm »

Someone got started on this earlier... try a forum search, you might be able to dig up some useful code.
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2005, 08:42:22 am »

How about this for a game: Starcontrol Colloseum.

All your favorite races, without ships, fighting hand to hand, planetside.
Shiver

Email
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2005, 09:16:22 am »

How about this for a game: Starcontrol Colloseum.

All your favorite races, without ships, fighting hand to hand, planetside.

Not exactly fair. Watch the Kohr-Ah and Ur-Quan tag-team everyone else into oblivion. Or you can let the Orz have their rifles, in which case they're going to wreck everything else first.
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2005, 10:30:04 am »

Perhaps the Ur-Quan would be very slow and would not respond real fast, especially on planets with high gravity.

Technology could only be used in limited circumstances. Like perhaps you could win the use of your species' ground vehicle/tank/powersuit etc. Or maybe there would be a few weapons siting in different places, waiting for you to take them over.
Megagun
Enlightened

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2005, 01:46:03 pm »

Poor spathi. Tongue
Same goes for ZFP..
...and Earthlings...

But still, the Quannies would "pwn em all", with their tentacles and MASSIVE size...

But not to get offtopic: I think a SC1-like implementation would be pretty nice, even though you can already play it in UQM!!!.. well.. You need a table.. and some objects that represent ships/planets... Tongue
Arne
Enlightened

Yak!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2005, 02:18:27 pm »

I read something about the original wormies being predators or something so they would probably be dangerous.

I wonder what the Chenjesu would do, just stand there and shine?

Syreen would own them all though, literally.

My idea above was just for something strategical that's easy to code. Indeed it wouldn't be as much fun if you're into the whole arcade dogfight aspect of SC.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length