The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:20:37 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  UQM painting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: UQM painting  (Read 10693 times)
GeomanNL
*Many bubbles*

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
Re: UQM painting
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2005, 05:01:39 am »

A nice drawing yeah.

Just a detail: the Kohr-Ah have little hands like you're drawing, but the Kzer-Za have more like big claws.

http://www.classicgaming.com/starcontrol/sc2/aliens/kohr-ah.shtml

http://www.classicgaming.com/starcontrol/sc2/aliens/ur-quan.shtml

I think that's intentional to reflect that the black ones are the workers. Those needs hands. The others just need to think.
Chrispy
Enlightened

Vlik Dweller

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2005, 11:17:12 pm »

Thats amazing. I love the depth. I think that, because of the style, it is lacking photographic persision, but, because of the style, I dont care. Its amazing! Good job.

Defender
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2005, 08:09:24 am »

i love it. truly!
Arne
Enlightened

Yak!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2005, 07:08:35 pm »

Thnaks..thansk... ... ...thx

I'll be sure to fix those claws/hands. Need to up the detailing aswell.

Just did this for my project. Closer to the SC designs than my older stuff. I was thinking the Cruisers could have a costly but poweful nukes, and cheap regular missiles.
Carrier is WIP, it's sort of like a Dreadnought, but less powefull. Lots of point defence lasers (flak) as common on carriers.
Lander redesign bottom right. Gave it wings and a containerish hull, plus a small-plane like nose area to bind it with the fighter design, which is a paraphrase on Vought F4u Corsair. The wings fold up, and they're stacked nose against the wall in the blue section of the carrier. Maybe 20 will fit (5*2rows*2floors). They launch to the sides.
There's some idea scribbles for ship types top right.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 07:10:44 pm by Arne » Logged
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2005, 06:00:23 pm »

Looks fairly nice, as soon as you decide how many people can fit inside them and how big they really are Wink

What's up doc?
Slylendro
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2005, 12:46:26 am »

Nice work... good potential for a new opening screen.

It is as though your species' brain is too small to hold a simple thought
such as, WE WILL KILL YOU FOR DISOBEYING!
This is not a complex idea.
Arne
Enlightened

Yak!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2005, 03:20:03 am »

Speaking of which, my idea for the Slylandro Probe is as follows.

Size: Small. This becasue it has no live crew, and it should be easy to make. It only needs to fly around and record data.

Movement: Rotates, and turns by anchoring the ends one at a time, sort of like Clu Clu Land.

Weapons:
+ Assimilation bolt. Slowly repairs probe and fills reserves.
+ Copy bolt. Slowly makes another probe.
+ Stopper missile. Does 1 damage, removes any kinetic energy from target. This allows escape.

Story:
Design purchased from the Melnorme by the Slylandro. After a programming mishap, most probes were destroyed.
Because of the large number of probes replicated, mutations in the design and program occured, and this resulted in a single probe escaping self destruction. Although it's debatable whether it's sentient or not, it's out there making copies of itself, but not in the chaotic manner of its predecessor. It appears to have an agenda.

Original Sylandro probe:

(Will draw the new type later.)

As for ship... volume atleast, I'm working on a program that'll calculate it for me. Then I'll have multipliers to get armour, internal space, etc. The ships will be sort of customizeable like in Elite, but some components will be fixed into the designs.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 03:28:46 am by Arne » Logged
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2005, 09:52:41 pm »

Because of the large number of probes replicated, mutations in the design and program occured, and this resulted in a single probe escaping self destruction. Although it's debatable whether it's sentient or not, it's out there making copies of itself, but not in the chaotic manner of its predecessor. It appears to have an agenda.

Sounds a lot like the Daktaklakpak. Or the Mycon.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Arne
Enlightened

Yak!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2005, 12:17:23 am »

I'm not familiar with dak*... are they SC3?

Mycon are biological and it's debatable whether they're functioning properly or not. It's also unknown how they came to malfuntion, and in what numbers. My probes are similar though, in the sense that they have an unknown agenda. You think I should change it to: 'Gather underpants'?

Anyways, I believe this particular story stereotype is unused.

Oh, I drew in the mutated probe, the blue one. Also got some alternative sketches for stuff.

The mutated probe, which I might name 'One' after the borg in StarTrek, has the same propulsion system but more mass, so my system will make it slower. Unlike the normal probe, One has offensive weapons.
michael
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2005, 01:22:17 am »

I'm not familiar with dak*... are they SC3?
yes. they are probes(stronger than sylandro) who have mutated programing.
GeomanNL
*Many bubbles*

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2005, 05:00:07 am »

Dunno what this has to do with an uqm painting anymore.
Say, I had an idea once, that a Slylandro does a mind patterning onto a Probe, using help from a rather advanced race, so that it could leave its planet and explore the stars. Nobody except me liked it, but maybe you do.

(edit) In any case, there is some resemlance to sc3, but I don't think you really need to take that into account. The idea is quite general, and applying it to a Probe is preferable than that other stuff. Imo of course (not that I dislike all sc3 races, some I do like, but I absolutely do not like the 2 examples you mention : green mycon and the daktaklakplak).
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 05:17:13 am by GeomanNL » Logged
Culture20
Enlightened

Thraddash Flower Child

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2005, 09:59:23 am »

My probes are similar though, in the sense that they have an unknown agenda. You think I should change it to: 'Gather underpants'?

Maybe the alteration was intentional, and done by a competitor to discredit the Melnorme?
Phase two:
Phase three: Profit!

Roll Eyes
Arne
Enlightened

Yak!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2005, 07:32:46 pm »

Geo > hehe, yes I'm drifting, sorry about that. It's not like I'm posting pictures of my cat though.

I too had the idea of the Slylandro leaving their planet. They can't build stuff themselves, but I have this idea of a race helping them to build a rather large gas bubble ship.

I think I'll post my other pics on PoNaF. This forum has no real section for general SC project stuff.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length