The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:17:46 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Episode 3
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Episode 3  (Read 6609 times)
Baltar
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
Episode 3
« on: May 21, 2005, 09:14:20 pm »

So has anyone else seen this?  I'm suprised there hasn't been a thread about this yet.  I just took it in last night, and all I can say is---I don't see what the hype is about.  Yeah, this is better than the last two movies but yeesh.  They managed to extract most of the kiddy stuff but the same terrible writing and acting permeate this film.  Am I alone here?  Everyone else seems to like it...
0xDEC0DE
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
Re: Episode 3
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 09:38:49 pm »

I would suspect that most people who didn't like it don't want to talk about it.

I for one, thought that Episode I was so abjectly bad that it made ALL the Star Wars films suck by proxy; and I was a HUGE Star Wars fan before the "new trilogy" was released.  I can't even watch The Empire Strikes Back anymore, because now all I see is a highly-gimmicky, poorly conceived sequel to what amounts to an "accidental masterpiece".  The Luke-Leia-Han love triangle?  Absolute crap. "The Force" as some new-agey path to achieving telekinesis?  Crap.  "I am your father!"  CRAP!

I never bothered to see Epidode II, (although I did see the Yoda fight scene at a "home theater" demo, and it sucked!) and I have no intentions whatsoever of seeing Episode III.  As such, it's rather hard to discuss a movie that you have no intentions of seeing.  Smiley

"I’m not a robot like you. I don’t like having disks crammed into me… unless they’re Oreos, and then only in the mouth."  --Fry
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 09:50:46 pm »

I have a bad feeling about this thread. It is a great disturbance in the force.

I think we have a flamewar brewing!  Shocked
VOiD
*Smell* controller

Resident pseudointellectual

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2005, 10:02:25 pm »

Seeing as I actually enjoyed Ep2 whan it came, I'm looking forward to this one. When I am able to see it, of course. First: exams. Angry

And, in stark contrast to the view of our esteemed yet highly dubious colleague OxDEC0DE, I think watching Yoda fight Dooku - for want of a better term - kicked major ass. Wink

I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.
My Deviantart page | My Bandcamp page
0xDEC0DE
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 01:33:13 am »

I think we have a flamewar brewing!  Shocked

Nah.  I don't think people get too bent out of shape around here over legitimate differences of opinion.  And the sold-out showings and fans waiting in line weeks ahead of time makes it pretty clear that there's plenty of room for differing views on this one.  Smiley

Besides, if you're apt to fly into a blind rage and begin hurling insults because somebody whom you've never met doesn't like the same movies that you do, I'd posit that you need your head examined.  Wink

"I’m not a robot like you. I don’t like having disks crammed into me… unless they’re Oreos, and then only in the mouth."  --Fry
Halleck
Enlightened

Personal Text

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 02:15:19 am »

Saw it last night... meh. At least it was better than Episode I and II.
Still prefer this one, though:
http://www.worstkind.com/swe3_med.mov

Currently working on: Going outside more
Culture20
Enlightened

Thraddash Flower Child

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 02:58:45 am »

I don't think people get too bent out of shape around here over legitimate differences of opinion.

True; some of the most vitriolic posts around here were directed at people who were writing gibberish to begin with.  There's a lot of respect here as long as your posts remain consistant within your own worldview.

"...You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view"  Jar Jar Lives! Roll Eyes
Defender
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 04:49:27 am »

went and saw it today. i must say its a set up from 1 and 2, but the overall feel of 3 seemed... forced (pun Tongue). the acting, when it should of provoked feelings in me, didnt. to me anakin didnt have a reason to be that angry. but the special effects and fight scenes were entertaining. but i feel if i see another light saber duel, it would be too soon. sheesh. dont get me wrong, i love light sabers, but the romance for them is gone because of this.

if your going to see it, cear you mind young padawan, and let the movie flow. and only then, will you enjoy this movie. Grin
Zeep-Eeep
Enlightened

Good Grief

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2005, 07:45:48 am »

Saw it last night... meh. At least it was better than Episode I and II.
Still prefer this one, though:
http://www.worstkind.com/swe3_med.mov

That was an excellent, if over the top, parody. Great work.

What sound does a penguin make?
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2005, 09:34:42 am »

"Nah.  I don't think people get too bent out of shape around here over legitimate differences of opinion."

Perhaps this was before your time, but not so long ago there was this thread called "Soul Shards" and. . .

"Besides, if you're apt to fly into a blind rage and begin hurling insults because somebody whom you've never met doesn't like the same movies that you do,"

That's ridiculous, I don't just do that over movies. I do that over everything.

"I'd posit that you need your head examined."

I did, and then they said there was nothing modern science could do for me.
Halleck
Enlightened

Personal Text

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2005, 10:45:55 am »

Perhaps this was before your time, but not so long ago there was this thread called "Soul Shards" and. . .

Before his time? Hah.

Anyway- yeah, I love that parody.
"I call it... The Sphere o' Fear!!.. Giant Hurt Ball!"
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 10:47:17 am by Halleck » Logged

Currently working on: Going outside more
Shiver

Email
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2005, 12:18:25 pm »

I uh, liked the fights? But yeah, the story rang hollow to me. The "romance" was supposed to be the central reason for Anakin's betrayal, and that was the weakest part of the movie. And I despised how Lucas felt the need to spell every damn thing out. When Yoda near the end said something to the effect of "HAY OBIWAN WE CAN TURN INTO GHOSTS AFTAR WE ARE DEAD NOW, I FIGGERED IT OUT", I had to hang my head in shame.

Just the same, don't let any sour elitists like Ox use their broken reasoning to ruin the older Star Wars movies for you. Minus some very painful aspects of Return of the Jedi, those were quality.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 12:20:19 pm by Shiver » Logged
UAF
*Many bubbles*

Robot in Disguise

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2005, 07:27:10 pm »

Watched the movie yesterday, and it was better then I expected.

Since I didn't care too much for any of the 6 movies, especially episodes I & II, I wasn't even sure I'd watch this one. But then I got free tickets Smiley

At any case, for me Lucas finally figured out what people like and want to see in a Star Wars movie, and stuck to it for 90% of the movie.
What I'm talking about is, of course, flashy light saber and starship fights. Smiley

The rest, with the reason to Anakin turning to the dark side of the force in its head, is just lame, badly done and not convincing. But you already said that.

I'd partly agree with monkeydangs though and say that if these movies were done in the 70's people would've liked them more.
But of course back then most of the cliché's were new, and we were all little kids (if we were alive at all) so flashy lights would've had even greater impact on us then they do now.

So all in all, it is a fun movie to watch as long as you love sci-fi, and most importantly empty your mind before the movie and understand that nothing deep is going to be there, only cool CG and stunts.

(On which I do have some complaints actually, sometime you could see that it's CG and Palpatine fighting was BAD, especially the actor and sometimes the CG).
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 08:31:06 pm by UAF » Logged
UAF
*Many bubbles*

Robot in Disguise

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2005, 07:35:43 pm »

BTW, wasn't Jar Jar supposed to die?
Slylendro
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2005, 03:06:33 am »

I'm back from seeing the movie and here's my review
*SPOILERS*

I'm partly satisfied and partly disappointed from this movie.
First it's the acting. HORRIBLE acting by Anakin(whoever plays him) but the worst is Natalie Portman. "oh anney u're breakin' my heart *ahhhhh ahhhhh*(bad crying scene).

The dooku space battle\fight - well done. a highly detailed space battle of 1 scene which is about 2 minutes, very impressive.
the fight was cool too, and I really like the sick robot Grevious from the animation.

The other Lightsaber scenes were very well done especially Yoda's and Windu's it was cool how he started to scream when he first jumped and killed the 3 jedi knights near Windu. But it was wierd since he stood there for couple seconds, enough for the highly trained Jedi to protect themselves(hey, if they can deflect laser bullets...).
I actually expected more from the Lord of the Sith than to be at the mercy of Windu. And the scene didn't make me believe it was all a set up just so Anakin would kill him instead because first he used lightning alot to try and get freed from Windu and second he scarred himself with the lightning and that didn't feel right -- for him to do just to get Anakin to the dark side. if it was meant this way so they would make the scene better made so the ppl can actually understand if he lost on purpose or not. right now I'm not convinced.

That also didn't make much point of Anakin turning to the Dark side THAT quickly. one sentence from Palpatine that there might be a way to repress Padme's death by working together, he decides to betray the Jedi and kill all the padawan children, turn to the DS, and be enslaved...  personally it made no point and it interpreted to me as simply bad acting. if he just acted better it couldve been more convincing.

another fuck-up was that in ROTJ when Luke told Leia about him being her brother, he asked if she remembers their mother, and she says she remembers images and that she was very sad. BUT HER MOTHER DIED 1 MINUTE AFTER HER BIRTH.

the last thing I didn't like was the ending. It didn't feel like a prequal ending... a wise sentence from Yoda or even obi-wan could be sufficient but ending as giving Luke to his family on the background of a sunset is a pretty lame end for a trilogy.

well despite all that it was an enthusiastic movie overall.

It is as though your species' brain is too small to hold a simple thought
such as, WE WILL KILL YOU FOR DISOBEYING!
This is not a complex idea.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length