The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 11:27:17 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Ur-Quan Masters HD Mod
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 Print
Author Topic: Ur-Quan Masters HD Mod  (Read 118140 times)
pelya
Zebranky food

View Profile
Re: Ur-Quan Masters HD Mod
« Reply #270 on: June 03, 2013, 05:59:05 pm »

I think the best implementation is to look at the way the pocket edition of minecraft does it with a virtual directional pad.   You see, the joystick doesn't really work because the controls themselves aren't really analog.  You are in fact simulating keyboard commands so it would be better to have digital controls.  Ergo, a directional pad would be more natural.

Please try this build with "classic" dpad  (no need to uninstall previous build this time). If you think it's playable with dpad-style joystick, I'll make an option to switch between two, like in my UQM port (in fact, people keep asking "how to make joystick like dpad", and I keep telling them there's an option in game settings).

And I'm too lazy right now to fix other bugs, sorry  Roll Eyes
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 03, 2013, 06:32:58 pm »

Hey! I understand completely.  Thank-you for considering my thoughts. Smiley  I'll be glad to give it a try when i get home tonight.
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 04, 2013, 12:33:31 am »

Yah, too me that controls a lot better,  though I think i'd prefer actual simulated buttons, and not the joystick.  it would remove all ambiguity on what you are pressing and where you need to put your thumb.  Just my opinion. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 12:39:24 am by darklord42 » Logged
Kralizec
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 29, 2013, 08:46:38 pm »

With the stardock news I am wanting to play sc2 again.  Saw this thing and looks amazing.  Sounds like the beta is right around the corner so debating if should wait for that or just start on the alpha.  Thanks.
Rapajez
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 07, 2013, 09:10:38 am »

First off, thank you for your work pelya, so much!  I really enjoyed playing through the entire campaign, on my Nexus 7, during a long flight last week. Is there a donate button? And Who could have imagined the Star Dock buyout going down during the same week! lol.

As for the Android controls, my Nexus 7 solution was simple. Disabled the touch stuff and used a WiMote over Bluetooth for everything. The wireless, light weight controller with physical buttons made it a blast, with the screen Velcro'd to the seat in front of me. ;-) Only problem was typing in star map locations.

I understand that's not an accessible solution for everybody though.

Other options: PS3 also uses BT, and Xbox Controller with a GTG SUB adapter, and wireless. Both Work well on my N7. Bluetooth keyboard or dedicated android gaming controllers are around too. Lots of time to play with this stuff 16 hours in coach. :-)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 09:17:17 am by Rapajez » Logged
Rapajez
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 10, 2013, 10:45:30 pm »

Not sure if it's a bug, or unique to my setup, but I can't use the d-pad on my Bluetooth controller in the HD version. It worked fine in the old version, on the market. I can also use the d-pad in all the menus, but it won't work to maneuver the ships. I noticed there was an option to disable the on screen keyboard in the previous version, but that's not in the HD version. Maybe it's related? Maybe I'm missing something obvious? :-) already searched the in game and pre game menus, but can't figure it out.

Thanks for your work, either way!
FakeMccoy
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 10, 2013, 11:06:07 pm »

Why can't I ever get mods to work?
pelya
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 10, 2013, 11:29:58 pm »

Thanks, I'll fix that before release.
BTW the mod development seems to be stalled, the last thing to do was Russian translation.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 11:31:51 pm by pelya » Logged
pelya
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 17, 2013, 09:48:51 pm »

UQM HD Beta 1 available for download, or so it seems. I wonder why there was no announcement here.
I'm going to update my Android port with new data packs, fix few bugs along, and finally publish it to Google Play and maybe to Ouya store (they require several lame changes, such as not showing PC button names anywhere, so I'll have to disable part of options menu).

Edit: I've published it: Google Play, .apk download
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 12:10:33 am by pelya » Logged
dczanik
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: October 21, 2013, 11:54:28 pm »

UQM HD Beta 1 available for download, or so it seems. I wonder why there was no announcement here.
I'm going to update my Android port with new data packs, fix few bugs along, and finally publish it to Google Play and maybe to Ouya store (they require several lame changes, such as not showing PC button names anywhere, so I'll have to disable part of options menu).

Edit: I've published it: Google Play, .apk download

.....And, I found a reason to get an Ouya.   Smiley

- Damon
Ur-Quan Masters HD Project leader/artist. Project 6014 Artist.  Like my art? Please check out some of my other artwork
QRoger
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 17, 2014, 04:10:00 pm »

Hey there,

I must say this Mod is a marvellous peace of art, thanks a LOT for making it. After UQM came out years ago I had to replay it and now after finding the HD-Mod I had to play it all over again. Great work!  Cool

One thing: I tried to play Melee over the network with a friend of mine but it didn't work. It connected for a split second then disconnects again. We both run Windows 7, and it definitely was not some kind of network problem with router/firewall or anything else (Ports were routed, firewall even disabled, also tried via hamachi).
The debug.exe showed some kind of socket error in the stderr.txt which led to this page:
Setting keep-alive on socket failed
https://code.google.com/p/uqm-hd/source/browse/branches/uqm-import/sc2/src/libs/network/socket/socket_win.c?spec=svn401&r=401

When we used the newest uqm.exe from here (http://uqm.stack.nl/files/snapshots/) it worked (with low-graphic mode then of course).

Maybe there is some recent bugfix which needs to be ported into the HD version. I'd LOVE to play Melee over network on HD  Smiley
pelya
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 17, 2014, 11:09:17 pm »

The game engine develops very slowly - I remember the UQM devs could not merge the patch for 64-bit OSes for over a year., so UQM-HD has forked the codebase to keep things moving, but still the development is very slow.
The network part of game worked some time ago, but it direly needs some love - the 'enter server IP address here' dialog is the ugliest way possible to do network  connection, it should at least auto-detect all games in local network, and ideally have a master server to list all internet games. It's not likely someone will implement masterserver, and LAN games will probably be fixed no earlier than in 6 months.
metamorphosis
Frungy champion

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 05, 2014, 08:06:30 am »

Any plans to include the remixed music in the HD version? IMHO these are well in advance of the originals, and certainly more "HD"
dczanik
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #283 on: July 05, 2014, 08:19:52 am »

I'm not sure why the remixed music isn't there.... You can download it or copy it from UQM.  I think it may just be missing files... If there's a programming bug, I'm just not aware of it.

- Damon
Ur-Quan Masters HD Project leader/artist. Project 6014 Artist.  Like my art? Please check out some of my other artwork
metamorphosis
Frungy champion

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 15, 2014, 12:07:24 pm »

Some friendly advice and constructive criticism, to take or leave as you see fit:-

The Good:
* Graphics amazing, mustve taken a phenomenal amount of time and work.
* Some of the tweaks are very good
* Fonts for the most part are well-chosen and make a difference
* Everything looks a lot cleaner
* Rotating planets is a nice tweak
* Being able to see the type of planet from the solar system is a nice tweak
* Great improvements to galaxy map

The Bad:
* Unrefined (monolithic - the ~700MB one) installer - installs all source as well as additional unused dlls, some dlls not installed correctly (msvcr100, had to be renamed). About 100MB wasted space.
* Earthquakes virtually invisible now, particularly on grey planets.
* Lander text (what you see when a lander discovers something) difficult to read, almost indecipherable.
* Fullscreen mode doesn't actually change to the video mode selected, it fullscreens current screen mode (in my case 1024x600) and places the screen inside that (to the right on mine).
* Music remixes missing. You shouldn't be using the 3DO mixes, you should use the UQM remixes - they are higher quality, less abrasive than the originals and certainly HD by comparison.
* "currently selected" option on main menu difficult to see - not a lot of differential between selected and unselected option
* "selected" option in settings menu (from main screen menu) difficult to differentiate between selected and non-selected options.
* "+" and "-" buttons don't work on starmap, at least on my computer (maybe they work on the numpad?, my laptop doesn't have one of those).

I'm sure I'll find more stuff as time goes on. It's an amazing effort, though I wish it could've been integrated into the main distro as some 'quality control' stuff as above needs fixing. I guess the other thing I miss is that not having crappy lo-res graphics doesn't allow me to delude myself that this game is as good by comparison with other current games as I thought it was  - bringing the graphical side of it into the 21st century makes me realise how many other aspects are lacking by comparison.
On the whole a great job.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length