The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:03:43 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  how do i install mods?!?!?!?!?!? and is there a way to make the game bit easier?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: how do i install mods?!?!?!?!?!? and is there a way to make the game bit easier?  (Read 2425 times)
Colonel_Shephard
Zebranky food

View Profile
how do i install mods?!?!?!?!?!? and is there a way to make the game bit easier?
« on: October 23, 2010, 08:15:09 pm »

i'll cut straight to the chase. i got 3 mods. the 3do fmv, the "slower time pass" mod and the "100 year death march delay" mod. good so far. the ginormous problem is that i have no idea whats so ever on how to install them(not even the slightest bit of clue). so your help will be enormously appreciated(oh and how would i know that the mods actually work?).

on my second problem now, i find the game fairly difficult shortly after the start(that avenger is not messing around) and also i kinda dont like the fact that the crew's price rise more and more the more you buy and for me thats a really big problem because some time ago when i managed to push deeper into the game world i was unable to keep my crew alive. every time i returned to base i had less than 10 crew left. so a way to both stop the crew's price going up and decrease its price a bit, would be most welcome(even if it includes altering values in a config file or something)

thank you
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 08:20:26 pm by Colonel_Shephard » Logged
chenjesuwizard
*Many bubbles*

I support Project6014

View Profile
Re: how do i install mods?!?!?!?!?!? and is there a way to make the game bit easier?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 12:08:17 am »

I don't know about the mod but to destroy the avenger at the start use a cruiser and shoot it twice (practice in super melee)
also, use melnorme for info on things to help you get cheaper crew. Get as many allies as possible.

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
Re: how do i install mods?!?!?!?!?!? and is there a way to make the game bit easier?
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 12:12:45 am »

i'll cut straight to the chase. i got 3 mods. the 3do fmv, the "slower time pass" mod and the "100 year death march delay" mod. good so far. the ginormous problem is that i have no idea whats so ever on how to install them(not even the slightest bit of clue). so your help will be enormously appreciated(oh and how would i know that the mods actually work?).

You take the mods, you unzip them right in the directory you installed UQM, then you double-click on the exe you just unzipped.
If you're on OS X it's even easier.

If you have any more problems go ahead and send me an e-mail or PM me.

The artist once again known as Kohr-Ah Death 213.

Get your MegaMod HERE
Colonel_Shephard
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 09:42:21 am »

You take the mods, you unzip them right in the directory you installed UQM, then you double-click on the exe you just unzipped.

does this mean that i can only use one mod at a time? it sure looks like that.
chenjesuwizard
*Many bubbles*

I support Project6014

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 09:46:40 am »

I recommend playing the game through before you get mods. To get the full experience.

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
Colonel_Shephard
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 12:47:34 pm »

I recommend playing the game through before you get mods. To get the full experience.
i dont think you understand what my problem is. i am constantly loosing more than i gain. i might find a nice load of minerals but most (if not all) get wasted to replenish the 90 percent of the crew i managed to loose, and don't get me started on the fuel. in the end i lack the money to resupply my ship therefor there is no way to finish the game. its hard and i need the game to me more fair(atleast with me). now imagine the death march starting and i still got a ship with only basic modules i started and no allies.

i had a serious reason to make this topic. if i could manage the game myself we wouldn't be here discussing it. trust me, mine is a very noobish case.
chenjesuwizard
*Many bubbles*

I support Project6014

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 01:40:00 pm »

None of those mods will help you with the crew problem. I recomend mining
(click to show/hide)
It will set you up for a bit.
Also, don't go into Enemy space as much as possible.
Which races have you discovered?

Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 02:14:09 pm »

does this mean that i can only use one mod at a time? it sure looks like that.

Well considering the fact that the only things that are easily modifiable (aren't hardcoded) are the graphics, music, text.
Yeah, you can only use them one at a time. Although if you look on my sourceforge page you'll find a combined Time/Death March mod I made for somebody a couple of days ago.

Although there are ways you can cheat, there is a save editor floating around somewhere.

EDIT:

There are also the debug builds, when setup properly allow you to cheat in an unimaginable way.
When you download any of my mods they include a debug build.

This guy describes all it does.

The steps he showed seem to not work for me so all you'd need to do is open up "keys.cfg" and add in "Debug: key F4" anywhere after the line "version 4".

The directory in which the data is stored for Vista and 7:
C:\Users\(Your Username)\AppData\Roaming\uqm
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 02:57:40 pm by Serosis » Logged

Get your MegaMod HERE
Alvarin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 05:54:44 pm »

Couple more things to concider for the crew - don't try to fight using your main Precursor ship, use your convoy vessels. If you haven't get far into the game, you might want to start a new game, so now with better fighting skills you'll loose less crew. I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that you can set the enemies AI to lower setting for easier fights. One more thing, if you take long time, you probably are fighting mostly the Slylandro probes in big masses. The sooner you find the "cure" to the situation the easier it'll get too.

Good luck!
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 04:10:10 pm »

•••• SERIOUS CONCRETE TIPS THAT WILL CHANGE YOUR GAME ••••

1) Be picky with what you pick up.  Don't mess around with anything worse than base metals unless you're already coming home with space to spare; and base metals aren't normally worth an expedition on their own. Radioactives are not too uncommon and worth a lot.

2) Be picky with the planets themselves. If a planet looks dangerous, don't go down. Do you see the weather and earthquake danger indicators? The temperature gauge? With good experience, you can handle a substantially higher level of tectonic activity than you can weather (my cutoff for tectonics is 5; 3 weather is borderline). Another thing to keep an eye out for is the fuel cost to launch (go through the launch sequence until you're picking where to set it down, and stop - near the menu is the cost to launch). Too high and you're cutting into your expedition length.

3) If a planet has medium danger and a low fuel cost to launch, send the lander down briefly, pick up some stuff, and retreat.

tl;dr: Just because it's there doesn't mean you need to pick it up. Be picky.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 07:24:00 am by Death 999 » Logged
onpon4
Enlightened

Sharing is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 09:22:07 pm »

Can everyone stop saying "loose" (which is an adjective) when they mean "lose" (which is a verb)? Roll Eyes

ziper1221
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 10:03:36 pm »

No, because I took the crew and beat them until they were literally loose.

chenjesuwizard
*Many bubbles*

I support Project6014

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 11:52:27 pm »

Does that make sense?

Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 04:36:35 pm »

@Death 999

I'm pickier than that, I won't even travel to a planet if it isn't a certain color.
I always pick up life forms when it's safe, the Melnorme are an easier alternative
than refueling at the station plus once you have a 'caster you can call them up anywhere in hyperspace

Here is trick that most of the seasoned players know about.
Assuming you have a Hyperwave Broadcaster or Umgah 'Caster.
  • When you are capable of doing so hit every rainbow world
  • After you have done that load your ship with nothing but fuel cells, leave em empty.
  • Leave Sol and call up the Melnorme for trade
  • Trade your info for fuel
  • Sell fuel at station and repeat previous two steps until out of credits
  • Never worry about scouring planets for resources again...

Although you may want to purchase all the upgrades from them first and use the Hi-Efficiency fuel tanks for trading fuel.

Get your MegaMod HERE
unity100
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 09:09:17 pm »

yehat ! yeah !! viva la revolution !!! viva starship clans !!!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length