The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:36:45 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  UQM 0.7.0 release candidate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: UQM 0.7.0 release candidate  (Read 14863 times)
storyyeller
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
Re: UQM 0.7.0 release candidate
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2011, 10:19:34 pm »

The experience from the get-go should be as superior as possible for the casual player.

At least in my experience, the voice acting is the inferior version. I can't stand it.
TiLT
*Smell* controller

To boldly go where no Spathi has dared go before

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2011, 04:28:17 pm »

The experience from the get-go should be as superior as possible for the casual player.

At least in my experience, the voice acting is the inferior version. I can't stand it.

That is of little concern to my argument. ANY voiceovers are better than none. Hell, imagine the outcry if someone decided to publish a version of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night without voices. That game has some of the worst voice acting in the industry, yet people love it regardless.
onpon4
Enlightened

Sharing is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2011, 06:06:33 pm »

That is of little concern to my argument. ANY voiceovers are better than none. Hell, imagine the outcry if someone decided to publish a version of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night without voices. That game has some of the worst voice acting in the industry, yet people love it regardless.

Maybe, but there's a major difference:

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is a platformer. It is action-oriented, so no player would want to be forced to read. The story doesn't even matter much, anyway, so most players will just casually listen.

Star Control II, on the other hand, is very much centered on dialog. You actually need to pay close attention to what people (well, creatures) are saying. If you just casually listen, you will have little idea what is going on.

But I doubt there would be an "outcry" if Symphony of the Night was re-released without voices. The only voices present (to my knowledge) are in cutscenes. This is also the case for SC2; the only time voices are used is when the only focus is on the dialog (intro, extro, and dialog). The only time I would imaging people liking a game less because of lack of voices (besides the voices being excellent voices, of course) is in a game like Shadow the Hedgehog, where there is some dialog of importance which is heard while you are playing an action sequence. Ironically, even games which break this rule, like Super Mario Sunshine, usually don't result in angry gamers.

But Symphony of the Night is not even a proper comparison anyway, since there's also another major difference: we're talking about potential new players, not old players. If Symphony of the Night was re-released without voices, even if it caused an outcry from fans of the original, new players playing for the first time wouldn't notice a thing. In fact, if they played the version without voices first, they very well might consider it to be the better version (or, at the very least, wish they hadn't heard the voices in the original).

Another reason that the comparison is inappropriate is we're talking about a default for an option here, not whether or not voices are available.

Jeep-Eep
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2011, 12:58:52 am »

Some of those voices are wonderful. Like Larry Zee's Ur-Quan rendition.  Or Bruce Leyland's Yehat. But yeah, some need replacing. I assume you could make new voice archives and use .rmps to set it to use those files?

That could be a forum project, eh?
Huggybaby
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2011, 04:08:00 pm »

I agree with TiLT, voices should be on by default. New users want the complete package, period. If you think the voice acting stinks, that's personal opinion and no reason to exclude them. If the voices don't match the text perfectly, no one really cares, people are used to those types of inconsistencies.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2011, 01:01:48 am »

... except that it's not a matter of inconsistency, it's a matter of the voices not providing important clues!

People DO care about THAT!
Huggybaby
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2011, 04:10:01 am »

Indeed. So using voices without text would be not a good thing to do. It should be voices plus text as default.
hobi
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2011, 03:34:51 pm »

Definitely voice with text, its so much easier to read than only listen.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2011, 04:07:21 pm »

I see what you're saying now - I thought you meant consistency between two presentations, but you meant within one.

I'm not really sure how that would work out. Seems like it would be really weird in the cases they diverge.
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2011, 09:38:47 pm »

I wonder how I got through that part of the game back when I played it on the 3DO.
Well, probably because all of the homeworlds and whatnot were in the manual...

The artist once again known as Kohr-Ah Death 213.

Get your MegaMod HERE
onpon4
Enlightened

Sharing is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2011, 09:19:59 pm »

I asked about a more vague version of the dialog problem on the GMC (which I frequented at one time). The topic is here:

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=507368

The general consensus for such a situation was to have the voices, but show the missing dialog in subtitles. The GMC is made up mostly of moderators and pre-teens with a handful of adults, so it's probably pretty mainstream as a response, though a larger sample size would be needed to reach a really good measure (only about 5 people responded).

Justin Z
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2011, 12:21:01 am »

Switching to OpenAL sound in an effort to get positional audio results in the following error message upon trying to reload UQM:

The Ur-Quan Masters encountered a fatal error.
Part of the log follows:

The Ur-Quan Masters v.0.7-rc1 (compiled Feb 28 2011 15:09:09)
[Blah blah no warranty, etc.]

Netplay protocol version 0.4. Netplay opponent must have UQM 0.6.9 or later.
Couldn't initialize OpenAL: 40961
Sound driver initialization failed.
This may happen when a soundcard is not present or not available.
NOTICE: Try running UQM with '--sound=none' option
fossil
Core Team
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2011, 07:45:38 pm »

Switching to OpenAL sound in an effort to get positional audio results in the following error message upon trying to reload UQM:
Couldn't initialize OpenAL: 40961
Right, a piece of OpenAL is missing (wrap_oal.dll) in the RC1 install. Will be fixed in RC2/final.
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2011, 08:55:49 pm »

The link to the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition is dead in the INSTALL.msvc.

The artist once again known as Kohr-Ah Death 213.

Get your MegaMod HERE
fossil
Core Team
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2011, 09:10:29 am »

The link to the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition is dead in the INSTALL.msvc.

Yes, thank you. That's covered in Bug 1125
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length