The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:48:35 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  A much needed feature...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: A much needed feature...  (Read 9537 times)
Elbonius
Zebranky food

just an SC fanboy

View Profile
A much needed feature...
« on: February 26, 2003, 10:54:56 am »

When you pick up more than you can carry in the planet lander, it fills your tanks and vaporizes the rest.  It SHOULD leave whatever you cant carry on the ground right where you found it.

I remember thinking about this way back when I first bought SC2 for my 386 in '93. Since the lander now has only 50 mineral capacity instead of 64, its even more important.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2003, 11:00:51 am by Elbonius » Logged

Who controls the past controls the future.
Who controls the present controls the past.
Auric

Email
Re: A much needed feature...
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2003, 11:11:27 am »

Yah I fully agree on that. It's bad to see it all go to waste.
Voldenuit

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2003, 02:49:25 pm »

Actually, I have no objection to the current (and previous) scheme of leaving everything to waste.

Keeping an eye on you lander's available space, and making judgements (guesstimates) of what you can get away with, as well as factoring what the fuel cost for landing another time, all the while trying to avoid earthquakes, firestorms, lightning and monsters, adds another "by the seat of your pants" level of micromanagement to the game.

Trying to scrounge that extra 15 RU out of every planetary system (OK, I'm under-exxagerating here) is part of the fun (and the frustration).

Lately, I've been seeing a lot of "why don't you add this feature" and "wouldn't it be better if..." type posts here. It's not that I disagree with these posts neccessarily, or think the suggestions are stupid (they're not).

However, we've got to consider what the goal of this project (UQM) is. The goal of this project is to recreate the SC2 experience for users of modern PCs and OSes. It's not to modify or enhance said game, but to present the original content as faithfully as possible.

The authors have stated that this is their primary goal. However, they have also said that once the project is complete (1.0) then and only then might they become amenable to suggestions.

Until then, I don' think UQM is the best place to go looking for changes to the base gameplay. Something like Timewarp might be more appropriate...

Peace,
Vol.
guesst
Enlightened

Ancient Shofixti Warrior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2003, 04:02:13 pm »

Yeah, but timewarp doesn't have anything but a combat engine right now. A really, really good combat engine. Untill some master programmer decides to make something more than a really, really good combat engine and append it to timewarp, this is our greatest hope for improvements to the sc2 gameplay.

A new game and it's code each week. Please visit Cymon's Games
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2003, 06:25:58 pm »

But not until version 1.0 has bee nout for a while, and wer're only at 0.2 to now, so all your wishes are just a wee bit premature : ) After that, who knows? Just don't be dissapointed when 0.3 doesn't include a point'n'click starmap, a resource judger, an advanced star search engine and whatnot. It'll be quite a while before we get there. As Voldenuit says, the goal here is to recreate the original game. And that had none of those features.

Also, all these requested 'improvements' have one current theme. "Make the Game easier for us". But it's not supposed to be easy. It's suppsoed to be challenging, sometimes frustrating, but ultimately worth it. I don't think you can appreciate something the same way if you havent't bee namde to wark for it.

Of course, I could be wrong

What's up doc?
GermanNightmare
*Smell* controller

Eddie wants Ur-Quan Trophies!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2003, 10:48:23 pm »

Don't think you're wrong, LP!

Why don't you just program the game to play on it's own?
Wouldn't that make it sooo much easier?
It would spoil the fun? You wouldn't have to PLAY anymore?
Oh, come on!!!

If it's too easy to play, the whole fun is gone - especially if you've played it a couple of times.

Greetings from the German Nightmare - Up the Irons!
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2003, 12:24:19 am »

Very true. I used to avegame editor for the first time today, seeing as all my savegames from 0.1 disappeared when i reformatted my harddrive a few days back. and I feel so dirty... its just not the same

What's up doc?
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2003, 01:45:31 am »

Now, I think it's not so easy as you might think. After all, as it stands each dot has only to record whether it's still there in a saved-game file. With this, though, it would have to record how much remained, and that's a LOT more data. Could be done, easily - but the saved game files would expand a LOT.
Elbonius
Zebranky food

just an SC fanboy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2003, 10:04:43 am »

Well, if you want to write it off as "part of the challenge" you get to.  I dont think its challenging.  I dont want a crutch.  I just think its kinda stupid that the leftovers just *poof* dissapear.

I have also thought about how it would change the save files.  That would only mean extra data IF you didnt go back and pick up the rest. And since we live in the age of 250gb hard drives, AND considering the fact that the UQM install itself takes up over 100mb, a couple extra kb arent going to matter all that much imho.  

Its just extra work for the programmers who are busy already.  Not really important, but somthing I would like to see eventually.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2003, 10:10:26 am by Elbonius » Logged

Who controls the past controls the future.
Who controls the present controls the past.
JonoPorter
Enlightened

Don't mess with the US.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2003, 12:15:14 pm »

what i want is a extra feature called auto collect. it does the scaning stunning and grabing all for you so you dont have too.  Wink
then why stop there why not have a AI that tells you what to do next. like sc3 had!
then i would say add a ai for battle but they already have that.

you are funny it is only JOKE!!

in the next game i would like to see is multiship melee where you can have epic battles of 16 vs 16 or 256 vs 16. Cool
i was very impressed by the multiship caplability of starcontrol online.
only thing that needs to change is to have the ability to pick out the spots of where each ship hypers in. then can poause to give orders to you wingman then PARTY ON DUDE!!!

There are none so blind as those who will not see. — Jonathan Swift

My Remake of UQM.
My 2D physics engine
Both are written in C#.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2003, 07:03:40 pm »

For a technical explanation to your problem: your planet lander is equipped with a "Super-Heated Magnetic Liquification System"TM which brakes the current "blob" of minerals into freely flowing plasma, which is kept in a magnetic containment field, and thus transported into the landers "Magnetic Containment Container"TM. However, when the container is full, the rest of the plasma must be allowed to flow back to the outside, where it, due to its extreme temperature, eats itself quite far into the ground, and thus you are unable to reach it the next time you return, since you cannot mine. Why do you melt the whole thing at once you ask? Well, simply because your "Super-Heated Magnetic Liquification System"TM works through the simple process of aiming it at the minerals and firing it. you can't adjust it very well, and trying to might destroy the magnetic field losing in a loss of all minerals.

On superheated planets, you simply just use the magnetic containment system to collect what you can before the rest sinks back into the ground.

well, you didn't really think they went out and shoveled it all up did you?

Hope this works for you, it's easier than re-coding the game.

What's up doc?
Chad
*Many bubbles*

PNF Webmaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2003, 10:11:14 pm »

I don't see a need for it... I mean how many times have you filled up your tanks to max capacity and then accidentally picked up only 1 out of 25 Tzo Crystals?   Grin  Although it sucks when it happens, it just one of those "classic" consequences in SC2.  I think it actually puts a little more "thought" into resource gathering.  Also teaches you valuable lessons like "plan ahead" and "assess the situation before you do"  Cool

"...Dogar And Kazon Clack Their Mandibles Against One Another And Snicker With Amusement."
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2003, 10:15:39 pm »

I do not think that the quality of the game would be damaged if this alteration were made. Really. Much like the quality of SC3 would not have been damaged if the Harika Bolo missiles had not latched onto your nose if you were flying fast enough backwards.
GermanNightmare
*Smell* controller

Eddie wants Ur-Quan Trophies!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2003, 06:41:46 am »

For a technical explanation to your problem: your planet lander is equipped with a "Super-Heated Magnetic Liquification System"TM which brakes the current "blob" of minerals into freely flowing plasma, which is kept in a magnetic containment field, and thus transported into the landers "Magnetic Containment Container"TM. However, when the container is full, the rest of the plasma must be allowed to flow back to the outside, where it, due to its extreme temperature, eats itself quite far into the ground, and thus you are unable to reach it the next time you return, since you cannot mine. Why do you melt the whole thing at once you ask? Well, simply because your "Super-Heated Magnetic Liquification System"TM works through the simple process of aiming it at the minerals and firing it. you can't adjust it very well, and trying to might destroy the magnetic field losing in a loss of all minerals.

On superheated planets, you simply just use the magnetic containment system to collect what you can before the rest sinks back into the ground.

well, you didn't really think they went out and shoveled it all up did you?

Hope this works for you, it's easier than re-coding the game.

Hey LP, have you taken a peek in the highly sophisticated, top-secret lander-modification plans in my desk's drawer?

I really like that explanation, man! Good work - although this knowledge was supposedly secret and not for the public. I paid a lot of credits to buy it from the Melnorme, you know?  Angry

Nah, just kidding - but you probably know that  Wink

Greetings from the German Nightmare - Up the Irons!
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2003, 06:56:45 pm »

I paid a lot as weell, but seeing as I have quite a lot of shares in the Melnorme Trading Guild, I figured I could spend it. Stay tuned for more exciting techniobabble, next week I'll explain the principle of Quasispace in a restricted solidified medium.

What's up doc?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length