The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 07:29:04 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Childrens' play log
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Childrens' play log  (Read 12943 times)
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
Childrens' play log
« on: January 30, 2017, 02:01:56 pm »

So, I'm playing through with my kids. I pilot, I point out logistical issues, but they set the navigation, strategic goals, and conversation options.

So far:

We handled Sol system. Left Venus untouched. Learned of the Pkunk and their home cluster from the Ilwrath captain.

Dropped by Sirius, then headed down to Centauri. Mined the furthest ruby world at Alpha Centauri. Grabbed some stuff from nearby Centauri stars, came back without actually visiting the Pkunk. The life we saw was all in awkward planets and we let it be.

Built up all the thrust and turning jets, 2 fuel tanks, 5 cargo bays, an ion bolt gun, a crew pod. Have a cruiser and Fwiffo.

That's where we were before today's session.

They wanted to check out the Shofixti. So we're heading down that way. Lyrae cluster first (ruby world!) then on to Alpha Ptolemae. We're planning on hitting beta, gamma, delta Ptolemae, in that order, before heading on to Gorno. Haven't worked out which Gorno star to do first.

We have had 3 losses while gathering materials - 1 from a lightning strike on a world with a lot of noble gases (perhaps a noble world) and 2 on a planet with a bunch of midget clowns, big slow round tentacle monsters, and moderate earthquakes - the losses were to an earthquake foreshock that was right in front of us. We didn't clear out the bio-data since our lander is not fast enough to catch the midget clowns, they only yield 1 each, and the conditions are not ideal; we can come back for the last two later.

And that's where we are. We don't play regularly (they often want to do other things), but when we do I'll update.

(crosspost with scdb)
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: Childrens' play log
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 11:12:02 pm »

Kids with intellectually stimulating parents are so lucky....
Tiberian
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 08:57:05 pm »

You're living my dream, Death 999... I still have to wait a few years until my first child is old enough for the same project.

Author of Star Control novelizations Groombridge Log and Eternal Doctrine. http://www.tommisalminenbooks.com
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 06:14:42 pm »

Hope for your sake that your kid wants to play it then. There are lots of other games with much more fancy graphics today, and kids aren't necessarily eager to play an old intellectually stimulating game. I tried to convince my sister's kids to play it, but they replayed that they just wanted to play simple games where you run around and shoot at things. Forcing your kids to play it is probably not a good idea either, but if you are smart I guess you can figure out a way to make them interested.
Krulle
Enlightened

*Hurghi*! Krulle is *spitting* again!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 08:25:46 am »

His kids want to play with him. That's why it'll take so long, as the kids need to want to play, and he needs to have the time.
And they stop when the kids loose interest.

Yeah, modern "casual gaming" also destroyed this kind of epic storytelling.

(I'll be following over at PoNaF-forums mostly.)

Q: How old your your kids? Maybe I should start with mine too, over the summer holiday or so.)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 08:30:14 am by Krulle » Logged
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 05:52:43 pm »

They're 7 and 10.

So, we had another two sessions. The first was short. We took a few mining losses and got a lot of minerals in Alpha Ptolemae.

The second, we figured we had filled up so much we wouldn't need to do the rest of Ptolemae if we wanted to actually locate any Shofixti survivors. So, we went straight down to Alpha Gorno. From alpha, worked our way around ccw to Delta. Took a bunch of mining losses, but the bays are 3/4 full.

Met Tanaka, blew a bunch of fuel trying to be nice but eventually got enough insults through. Saved immediately; the kids plan to talk to him again immediately when we resume.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 09:36:36 pm »

We did another session over the weekend. They talked with Tanaka again. I took down the notes of what he mentioned (Zeta Sextantis 1 and Beta Brahe). Unfortunately, we were low on fuel by then and had to go home.

Were told about signal from Rigel. Built an extra crew pod and several cargo bays, which may go unused because we didn't get another fuel pod. Got a dynamo, though.

Went to Rigel, talked. Noticed that Tucanae is a rather long way off. There was an argument about what to do. At first they wanted to go to Vulpeculae just because it looked weird. Then they thought we could head through Spathi space to Tucanae after all, and maybe drop by Greenish in the supergiant on the way.

Met a Spathi, had a not-very-fruitful but non-catastrophic conversation.

We have over 200 bio credit and look forward to meeting Greenish.

Also, my son made some fan-art involving several new species which apparently share a ship:

Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 04:00:27 am »

We bought the cannon and lander-speed techs, and headed to the Spathi homeworld. Cleaned the joint out, made the alliance. They got it to stick. Heard about that funny vanishing star. Headed on to ZFP. Noticed we were low on fuel. Had to dodge a 'quan of some sort to get to them. Made alliance. Played Frungy. Headed home, got stuck, refueled, bought PDL tech.

Made it home, bought 2 eluders, upgraded gun to cannon, bought a third fuel tank, filled up. Not sure where to go next. Will think about it.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 12:51:14 am »

Layout tweak - we sold one of the cruisers and made a fourth fuel tank.

Upon reviewing the backstory, they wanted to visit Vela. So we did, and now we know where the Ur-Quan sphere is. Incidentally, the Raynet planets are JUNK.

Then they decided to head over to VUX territory. Scared of the Androsynth, so avoiding that until we have a decent counter. Saw a few sensor contacts as we entered the historic extent of VUX space, but they were out of the way. We just entered Alpha Cerenkov when time ran out for the session. No particular discoveries yet.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 11:20:55 pm »

So we talked with ZEX for the first time, got the usual information. Didn't threaten him or anything. Got the hint that talking with other VUX might not be a super-awesome idea, though.

Headed directly down to Zeta Sextantis (skipping Beta along the way because unfriendly space) to follow up on Tanaka's hint. On the way, caught by a probe. Talked, blew it up with no losses (Spathi)

Reached Zeta Sextantis, mined it out, found rainbow world.

Thought we were near the Yehat, checked out Iota Sextantis.

On the way between planets, ambushed by another probe! Again disposed of it with no losses by Spathi, though it took longer.

Sapphire world!!!

And that was the end of this session.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 03:04:02 am »

So, we headed galactic East a little to talk to the Yehat. Made it to the next star system that way.

Had a nice conversation, and then a… less nice conversation. Managed not to claim that the Shofixti are back. Fought briefly, did no damage, ran away, getting out JUST in the nick of time.

Figured that wasn't going to work out. They changed their minds about not checking in on the Androsynth since the Vulpeculae constellation was so shiny, so we headed back up that way through VUX space.

Met some VUX in Alpha Sextantis. Apologized, didn't do any good. Blew them up with Spathi.

We found a noticeable amount of bio data across today's session, mostly in the form of purple squids mushrooms.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2017, 10:12:37 pm »

Two sessions.

Continued on to Alpha Vulpeculae to talk to Greenish. Bought a bunch of techs. Went to Beta Vulpeculae, barely dodging a probe. Met the Orz. Daughter doesn't trust them. Didn't press too hard, but did say they'd like an alliance. Took note of the antipathy with the Arilou.

Second session:

Headed around Vulpeculae clockwise. Visited Greenish for techs as we got more biodata. Asked a little about the Androsynth, but didn't press. Watched the definition of 'Frumple' in replay.

Filled up our storage bays just as we hauled Bukowski out of the lab. Bought techs up to but not including hellbores.

We talked about what to do next. Son wants to find Mmrnmhrm, even though I had just pointed out how the Chenjesu were the most powerful allies. Daughter suggested that 'Linch-Nas-Ploh' might be Draconis. Which they also noted is an UKNOWN on the historical map. Speaking of unknowns, they haven't displayed any interest in Pkunk, though maybe they'll check them out now that they have heat resistance and so are heading down to Alpha Centauri for the ruby worlds. Not that RU are a major issue now, what with our 7 filled storage bays and not being able to buy hellbores and shiva furnaces yet.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 04:49:51 am »

We headed back home. Planned to go check out old Chenjesu sphere to see if we could find them. Also planned to check for Pkunk.

25k RU! Welcomed the Orz to the base, got the warning about probes, and distress call from ZFP.

Built up ship with 2 tracking modules, 2 extra-large fuel tanks, forward and spread blasters, 3 dynamos, 2 crew modules, and the rest more cargo bays. Also bought 2 nemeses. Wow, somehow we lost 40 crew. Well, that should drop off now that we have all the lander shields.

Headed to ZFP directly, since that sounded urgent. Paused to let a probe catch up so we wouldn't possibly fight it near Ur-Quan.

Fought the Kohr-Ah at the ZFP with a Spathi, got the 4 free ships. Wondering where to go next now that we're here.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 05:25:45 pm »

It happened to be the 17th when we were planning, so we saw the big UNKNOWN star in one of the directions we were considering going. I intervened to point out that it was more than 3 days away (more like 30) when they said to set a course for it.

So they decided to check out the Umgah, since they were in the general direction that the ZFP had said the probes were coming from, and also in the general direction of Draconis, with its own Unknown circle and also for being a Linch-Nas-Ploh candidate.

Hit Mu Orionis. Actually took an RU loss on mining up ONE magnetic monopole for 2.6 a whopping fuel (place was nasty enough did not stick around to get all the base metals).

Hit Lambda Orionis. Talked with an Umgah. They were acting their usual selves, nothing abnormal about them, yet. Suggested we could put aside our past differences. They said the Ur-Quan fealty oath was a pretty big deal to them and attacked, and we blew them up with a Spathi. Now we have around 30 battlegroups converging on our location. We'll probably just head out of the system and go somewhere less unwelcoming, but we haven't committed to that yet.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 06:06:19 pm by Death 999 » Logged
CelticMinstrel
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2017, 03:42:05 pm »

So are those the pre-mind-controlled Umgah?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length