The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:17:03 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Star Control: Connecting the dots
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Star Control: Connecting the dots  (Read 7608 times)
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
Star Control: Connecting the dots
« on: July 31, 2017, 10:38:12 pm »

« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 08:59:55 pm by Zanthius » Logged
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
Re: Star Control: Connecting the dots
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 12:34:26 am »

VUX - 'I'm not racist, but…' people.
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 03:48:37 pm »

I made the "Tax Evading Multinational Corporations" into the Kzer-Za, because they currently are controlling most of the world's wealth, which means that they are in a dominant position similarly to the Kzer-Za.

I made the"dogmatic closed-minded people" into the Kohr-Ah, since they probably are the greatest threat to global peace and prosperity, no matter if they are nationalists, racists, Muslims, Christians, Jews, or Hindus.

I think the "civil rights movement" and the "welfare state" actually has a lot in common, since the current global distribution of wealth can be considered discrimination against poor people.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 07:11:19 pm by Zanthius » Logged
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 04:14:00 pm »

It could be, but it's a bit of a stretch. In the sense in which money itself is discrimination against poor people.
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 05:54:11 pm »

It could be, but it's a bit of a stretch. In the sense in which money itself is discrimination against poor people.

I agree, but we might consider "equal opportunities for all people from birth" as a civil right, and then we would need to have free compulsory education from birth. Preferably with free food included, while attending the educational institution.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 05:59:48 pm by Zanthius » Logged
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 08:39:47 pm »

I have now added this to my page about wealth inequality:

I have combined the page about wealth inequality and progressive tax with the page about civil rights now:

http://www.archania.org/equal_opportunities_for_all_people_from_birth.html
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 05:17:02 pm by Zanthius » Logged
Scalare
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 11:24:22 am »

I agree. I am also a huge supporter of the universal basic income.
I think perhaps cryptocurrencies can help us with that by providing systematic access to income not controlled by banks or governments.
Krulle
Enlightened

*Hurghi*! Krulle is *spitting* again!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 08:20:57 pm »

And converting cryptocurrency into real cash or,goods?-> babks and government, and especially large cash controls conversion rates.
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 09:36:22 pm »

Here is a new version of the Chmmr Avatar. It can be built in most third world countries, where there isn't too much conflict. If you had invaded Iraq and Afghanistan with these, things would probably have been much better there today.

Of course, they need to attend to the educational facility, in order to get free food and free medical aid. We are not going to give, without getting something in return.

Quote from the Melnorme:

But our cause is just! Isn't altruism the highest pinnacle of morality?

No, it is not.
In fact, in our culture, `giving'
with no fair exchange of goods or services,
is considered vulgar and inappropriate.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 10:44:06 pm by Zanthius » Logged
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 11:12:12 pm »

Hhhhmmmmmm. That's not a terawatt laser, just my being somewhat skeptical. It's really hard to invade and occupy a country at all, let alone one with that many internal stresses (many externally induced, some by your allies), and not have things quickly go to rubbish.
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 07:27:04 am »

Hhhhmmmmmm. That's not a terawatt laser, just my being somewhat skeptical. It's really hard to invade and occupy a country at all, let alone one with that many internal stresses (many externally induced, some by your allies), and not have things quickly go to rubbish.

It is especially hard to defeat an ideology by waging war against their bodies and not their minds, and I am not sure what good a terawatt laser would do against the minds of people adhering to an ideology.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 08:56:17 am by Zanthius » Logged
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 09:14:45 pm »

I have written more about this now:

http://www.archania.org/equal_opportunities_for_all_people_from_birth.html

According to my educational plan, each baby should learn 4 different languages. One of those languages can always be English, and then people raised in educational facilities in different countries will easily be able to communicate with each other.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 11:37:45 pm by Zanthius » Logged
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 04:16:40 pm »

It is especially hard to defeat an ideology by waging war against their bodies and not their minds, and I am not sure what good a terawatt laser would do against the minds of people adhering to an ideology.

I was referring to my 'Hhhhmmmmmm', which after typing it I realized could be interpreted to sound like the Chmmr main weapon.
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 07:48:42 pm »

I was referring to my 'Hhhhmmmmmm', which after typing it I realized could be interpreted to sound like the Chmmr main weapon.

Ah. Okay, I misunderstood.

I have rewritten this section a bit on the page about education motivated by intellectual curiosity.

So if the educational facilities follow this educational scheme, people educated there will both be able to communicate with the local population, but also with other educational facilities in different third world countries.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 07:50:15 pm by Zanthius » Logged
Scalare
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2017, 01:23:36 am »

Please realize: language is a reflection of culture.
I could learn 4 languages (I actually do speak dutch fluently and english quite well, but I can understand french and german).
But the fact that I have never learned to speak russian or chinese makes me unable to view media from anything else than the western world, and as such there will be a cultural bias against western propaganda.

So, will we teach our children 4 languages, or do we choose those languages in such a way to make our kids more open minded?

Besides that, American English is such a dumbed down language that it has lost all sense of nuance as compared to for example British English. But all we see in the media is American English. Which kinda sucks.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length