The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:38:51 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Ship Ratings?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Ship Ratings?  (Read 4276 times)
cheefzboy
Zebranky food

View Profile
Ship Ratings?
« on: May 22, 2018, 03:46:51 am »

Anywhere to see the ratings of ships Speed, Armor, and stuff like that? Trying to get the hang of this game
PRH
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
Re: Ship Ratings?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 12:14:19 pm »

http://wiki.uqm.stack.nl/List_of_ships

The Armor parameter does not exist in UQM. Each weapon that exists in the game does a fixed amount of damage to all ships (well, the Mycon Podship's plasmoids weaken over time, and the damage dealt by the Shofixti Scout's Glory Device is dependent on its distance from the enemy ships, but still, armor never comes into play in UQM).
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 12:21:51 pm by PRH » Logged
Krulle
Enlightened

*Hurghi*! Krulle is *spitting* again!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 02:46:13 pm »

Nope, indeed.
Each ship has a certain amoutn of life (green dots). Once expended, ship dies.
Slylandro Probes use grey dots with the same function, and your flagship's last dot is blue, indicating the player (you). If that one dies, you're dead.
The ships also have a red bar, indicating the amount of stored energy. Which is needed to fire primary / secondary weapons. And reload speed depends on the ship.
Also the energy usage depends on ship.
E.g. the Pkunk fury don't have a secodary weapon, pressing the secondary will reload the batteries, using the energy of using expletives thrown at your enemy.
The Shofixti Scout can use its secondary only thrice: once to turnt he control light from green to yellow, a second time to turn the light red, and the third time is used to activate the glory device (self destruct).
And the Slylandro Probe uses the secondary to reload batteries (if it touches an asteroid at the same time). And the Umgah Drone reloads all in one go if you do not use your primary for a while.

For some ships, you can find the stats here:
http://wiki.uqm.stack.nl/ComSim_Central
with images like

But the ships added in SC2/UQM over SC1 do not appear there.

A quick rundown of the all ships can be found here:
http://wiki.uqm.stack.nl/List_of_ships
But means looking at each page for primary and secondary weapons.
And the Orz Nemesis has a third weapon. Pressing primary and secondary at the same time launches a *GO*-*GO* (a space marine).
One post would be far too short to do justice to the variety of ships in-game.

edit: a rather "dry" overview of some stats of all Melee ships can be found at the page http://wiki.uqm.stack.nl/Table_of_ship_properties. No indication of what the primary/secondary weapons are.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 02:49:39 pm by Krulle » Logged
Krulle
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 03:09:45 pm »

A list I compiled quite a while ago:
I don't even have the .txt file anymore, but a website published it around 2000.... And their UI is messed up... So I have to google the thing every time I want to look something up.

(click to show/hide)
cheefzboy
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 10:38:48 pm »

I see that it has 7 ships for each side but not all the ships. Are these ratings for the first game?
Krulle
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 10:52:24 am »

Which of the many links provided by us are you referring to?

If you're going for the one with the images, then yes. The images were taken from the Star Control IV game (which commonly is named SC1, the IV was a joke referring to Star Wars episode IV (the first film published), and also left room for prequels, if ever desired).
UQM is a remake of SC2, with more ships than SC1 had.
PRH
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 04:48:08 pm »

If you're going for the one with the images, then yes. The images were taken from the Star Control IV game (which commonly is named SC1, the IV was a joke referring to Star Wars episode IV (the first film published), and also left room for prequels, if ever desired).

It was actually "Star Control: Famous Battles of the Ur-Quan Conflict Volume IV", not "Star Control IV". Star Control IV never got released. Tongue

As for the ship stats, they are listed at the bottom of each of the articles about each specific ship, like this one: http://wiki.uqm.stack.nl/Avatar. Sadly, though, the table at the bottom does not list the damage dealt by the ships' weapons.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 04:55:57 pm by PRH » Logged
cheefzboy
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 01:42:50 am »

Any good strategy guides for this game either? Id like to know what alliances I can make or cant make in the single player camaign.
Fivepeppers
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 01:48:53 am »

That, is for us to know, and you to find out through experience.
But honestly, you get the most fun out of just trying things out and seeing what will and wont work.
I think it took me multiple tries and LOTS of reloads to finally finish, and I still didn't do everything there is.

But thats just my opinion on it, I'm sure there are many different guides out there I am just unaware of them.
PRH
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 02:05:55 am »

Any good strategy guides for this game either? Id like to know what alliances I can make or cant make in the single player camaign.

Any information on that would be a spoiler. You are expected to find this out through your own playing experience.

Pay close attention to the dialogue, as you won't be able to complete the game if you don't. Write down any information that might be relevant to your mission, as this game has no quest journal and is very non-linear.

(click to show/hide)
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 04:26:31 am »

Some of the most fun we've had lately is reading peoples' play logs. It's always interesting to see what people pick up on, etc.
Krulle
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 10:26:19 am »

Indeed, the Troglodytes play log is very entertaining to read, especially if you know the game plots.
But beware, his thread is full of spoilers, and many of them are rather irrelevant for you, as likely you'll be going along a different path.
(click to show/hide)

BTW: just play, and save regularly.
I usually had one save slot for whenever I left StarBase, and one before mejor encounters or planet inspections.
So I could go back quite a bit, or only before the encounter to limit my losses.

And once you encounter difficult situations in-game, you can go back to Super Melee and practice the exact situation with the ships you have.

In my first run I was able to finish the game on time, so it's not that hard.
(But I did loose, and had to rewind before a crucial meeting, as I accidentally activated a device, which meant automatic "you loose". Oh, was I furious with myself for hitting the wrong button. Don't worry, the device comes with plenty of in-game instructions to not activate it. The moment my finger pressed the button I knew what it meant.)

cheefzboy
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2019, 11:49:42 pm »

Speaking of ship ratings. I’ve noticed some ships have empty spaces In the ratings. Does this mean the value of a attribute can be anting from one to nine?
Krulle
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2019, 10:26:57 pm »

??
Which ratings?

I've seen
https://wiki.uqm.stack.nl/Table_of_ship_values (having - for ships not existing in that version, and n/a for ships you cannot scavenge RU from, or buy at the StarBase)
and
https://wiki.uqm.stack.nl/List_of_ships (which has no values at all...)
and
https://wiki.uqm.stack.nl/Table_of_ship_properties (which seems to be complete).

[edit]Oops, I assume you mean in-game?
Sorry, haven't installed UQM since the German translation project finished.
I still need to find time to convert the files to the newer format (and check the files, it seems Cmdr. Hayes is mostly in English again...)
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2019, 05:35:17 pm »

Speaking of ship ratings. I’ve noticed some ships have empty spaces In the ratings. Does this mean the value of a attribute can be anting from one to nine?

Do you mean the hollow squares? That means that under some circumstances it's the lower value but in other ways its the higher value. Like, Druuge or Umgah aren't particularly fast with standard thrust, but they can go very fast by other means.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length