The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:17:50 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Holy what the heck!?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Holy what the heck!?  (Read 2664 times)
Lithorien
Zebranky food

View Profile WWW
Holy what the heck!?
« on: April 12, 2003, 09:27:08 pm »

Aug 12, 2156. BIG new sphere of influence, the Korh-Ah. And what happened to the nice Spathi? I don't see them anymore.. the Zok Fot Pilk are in danger, and I can't kill the Korh-Ah with my flagship.. I tried. What the heck do I do /now/?

*shivers* This isn't cool, no.. the Syreen are near to death, too.. how.. why.. *sigh*

Know your Allies Well, Know your Enemies Better.
Mormont
*Smell* controller

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
Re: Holy what the heck!?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2003, 09:36:02 pm »

Go talk to commander Hayes and you'll find out about what happened to the Spathi (no, they aren't dead). Then visit their homeworld, cause there's a nice item there

Do you have any Spathi ships left? If so, they make good Kohr-ah killers. Practice in melee. The trick is to continuously run away, fire your rear missiles, and jink to avoid the blades.

And don't worry too much about the Syreen and Zoq-Fot-Pik (well, the ZFP will be attacked by one single marauder a few months after you make a formal alliance with them). You see, the Kohr-ah are occupied with their war against the Ur-quan (it's a long story).
« Last Edit: April 12, 2003, 09:38:28 pm by JWJ » Logged
Lithorien
Zebranky food

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2003, 09:38:57 pm »

Heh, just did that. Apparently they're defending their homeworld?

And no.. no ships. Just the flagship is left.. lost the Earth Cruiser trying to fight them. Can't do Melee to train, the game freezes on me.

*sighs* I take it this is the hard part of the game?

Edit: Those backstabbers.. they hid from me!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2003, 09:46:06 pm by Lithorien » Logged

RockasaurusRex2000
*Many bubbles*

Pheonix Mirror.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2003, 09:40:18 pm »

WEAK SPOILER~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Syreen will not die in the game.
They are under a slave sheild.

Spoon!
Mormont
*Smell* controller

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2003, 09:47:24 pm »

Well, the Spathi are cowards by nature after all. Smiley

Can't do Melee to train, the game freezes on me.

That's bad...what exactly happens and what triggers it? Do you get any errors? Try reinstalling, and if that doesn't work, asking for help on the tech forum.

If you have no Spathi ships left, you might even want to start over or go back to a previous save file. The Spathi Eluder is the best Ur-quan and Kohr-ah killer you get for a long time. I usually build one or two more eluders in addition to Fwiffo.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2003, 09:49:05 pm by JWJ » Logged
Lithorien
Zebranky food

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2003, 09:50:49 pm »

Melee problem: I select my group of ships, and it goes to the flashing black screen with the question mark beside my forces. Controls freeze, I can't do anything and have to kill the game.

I got the caster, just a little annoyed with the idiots for abandoning me. Heh.. and if I should start over then I guess I will do that. Thank'ee kindly.. at least I know a few good systems to planet-mine now so I don't do so much guessing.. Wink

Mormont
*Smell* controller

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2003, 10:14:37 pm »

Well, about the melee - there is a downloadable fix that works on some computers:
http://www.4u-servers.co.uk/~striker/
If that doesn't work, then post in the tech forums. They say that they'll fix it in the next version though.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2003, 10:15:52 pm by JWJ » Logged
Omni-Sama
*Smell* controller

Zebranky-Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2003, 01:32:25 am »

If you can't beat the Marauder, I suggest meeting the Orz and making an alliance with them.  Once you get a couple of their ships in your fleet, you'll be able to kick some Kohr-Ah booty.  And if you want to beat the Marauder with your flagship, just load up on crew pods, batteries and auto-tracking for your guns... it's not impossible.

"Even Our House Pets Are Rather Evil." - Ilwrath Captain
RockasaurusRex2000
*Many bubbles*

Pheonix Mirror.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2003, 08:30:21 am »

or, make friends with the Thraddash, and get a couple torches. O man, that sure does the job.

Spoon!
Nic.

Email
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2003, 08:58:20 am »

If you can't beat the Marauder, I suggest meeting the Orz and making an alliance with them.  Once you get a couple of their ships in your fleet, you'll be able to kick some Kohr-Ah booty.

OK, I'll bite: what is the general strategy for taking on the Kohr-Ah with the Orz?  By my metric, their weapons have greater range, each shot can block three of your shots (and they're bigger, making this trivial) and they can spit out more of them than you can in the same timeframe.  Their turning rate is about an even match for your maneuverability, and the F.R.I.E.D. is a dandy anti-marine defense. (and in the event that someone does get on board, they've got gobs and gobs of crew to burn through).

In a one-on-one fight, I've occasionally gotten lucky with the Orz (coming out with exactly 1 crew) but usually the Kohr-Ah shows me how it's done in very short order.  What am I missing?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length