The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:55:40 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Star Control II fact (#1)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Star Control II fact (#1)  (Read 19363 times)
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
Star Control II fact (#1)
« on: November 14, 2002, 11:23:04 pm »

When working on the source, sometimes some interesting things show up. Here's one (I'll share more in time):

Even though the Shiva Furnaces are more advanced than your standard Dynamo Units it's not always a good idea to replace all your dynamos by them. Shiva Furnaces and Dynamo Units actually don't do quite the same thing.

Dynamo Units affect the delay between recharge of your energy, while Shiva Furnaces affect the amount of energy gained each recharge.
The energy regeneration counter starts at 10, and every DU adds -2, to a minimum of 4. (so more than 3 DU's is never useful).

The energy regenerated per recharge starts off at 1, and every SF adds +1. There's no maximum other than the amount of SF's you can carry on your ship.

Put into a formula:
energy per time unit =  (#furnaces + 1) / (10 - 2 * (min(#dynamos, 3))

To get the fastest recharge rate, follow this guideline:
- If you have less than 4 slots available, choose all furnaces.
- If you have 4 or more slots available, choose 3 dynamos and the rest furnaces.
(If you have exactly 4 slots available, the configuration doesn't matter for the recharge rate, but as the recharges come in smaller portions when using dynamos, you can often make use of it sooner then).

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Fotsev
Zebranky food

Greetings and Felicitations!!

View Profile WWW
Re: Star Control II fact (#1)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2002, 12:16:37 am »

Very interesting.  I'll have to try that out.  Smiley

Ah, the mysteries of the Universe.
Try to understand 'em, but can you?
Nope, they're mysteries!
Fwiffo
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2002, 04:23:52 am »

Hmm, yeah, that's a sweet bit of info.

I can't exactly remember (obviously need to play again) but i think my ship had 2 hellbore cannons, one crew pod, one fuel tank, one ATS system, and one point defense module.  Everything else was Shiva Furnaces.  That'd be, um, ten furnaces right?  Fuel was never a big problem but I suppose very occassionally I had to wait for a recharge.  Now I want to go home and try adding dynamos as well.

-Fwiffo
Parker
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2002, 05:07:10 am »

I look forward to future revelations of the inner workings of Star Control II.  Very neat stuff.  Mika, if you're reading this, perhaps you could publish this somewhere on the main website?
Azarule
*Many bubbles*

Andale, Andale, arriba !

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2002, 01:12:35 pm »

Math........................ Huh

If these visions have offended, thing but this and all is mended : You have but slumbered here while these visions did appear.  And this weak and idling theme, no more yielding than a dream.
norg
Zebranky food

WE COME IN PEACE

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2002, 01:36:21 pm »

math is teh suck.

that's why i don't write code.   Cry

i do muz1k instead!  Grin

-= george =-
Fsi-Dib
*Many bubbles*

The Crimson Corporation

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2002, 07:29:05 pm »

That's wrong language! I can't make anything out of that, because it's in the wrong, language!  Cheesy

The unofficial music critic.
Nic.

Email
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2002, 05:58:32 pm »

I believe he meant that it is *frumpy* to be *dancing* without the *sauce*  Wink
Fsi-Dib
*Many bubbles*

The Crimson Corporation

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2002, 06:20:57 pm »

Ooh, now I got it! Thank you. Grin

The unofficial music critic.
Chad
*Many bubbles*

PNF Webmaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2002, 09:43:24 am »

Very interesting!  Please post more stuff like this.... This reminds me, I've always wanted to see the algorithm for what determines a Pkunk Fury to regenerate.  It probably shouldn't be shared with general players, as it might take some fun away (if there is a way to take advantage of it) but that doesn't mean I'm not going to try to figure it out from the code! Wink   Unfortunately, I haven't done much C, only Java  Roll Eyes

"...Dogar And Kazon Clack Their Mandibles Against One Another And Snicker With Amusement."
Cerulean
Zebranky food

Melnorme Xenologist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2002, 11:09:06 am »

How nice to see you again, Captain.

As you know, we Melnorme are interstellar purveyors of fine trade goods and valuable information gathered from a thousand secret sources in space and time. Actually, our primary trade good IS information. And since your credit balance with us is good, we can disclose that the 10.17.98 #StarControl chat log reads:

<Deep-Reep> what the algorythm for the pkunk coming back?
<Fwiffo> The pkunk's resurrection is really only 50/50
<Fwiffo> NNNGN, would I lie to you?

As always, it is a pleasure doing business with you.
Goodbye, Captain.

To fight the Empire is to be infected by its derangement.This is a paradox: whoever defeats a segment of the Empire becomes the Empire; it proliferates like a virus, imposing its form on its enemies. PKD
Chad
*Many bubbles*

PNF Webmaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2002, 09:53:16 am »

Hmm, indeed, and thanks for reminding me...  I really did read that a few times, years ago... I've never claimed to have a good memory  :-/

"...Dogar And Kazon Clack Their Mandibles Against One Another And Snicker With Amusement."
Captain Smith

Email
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2002, 05:32:50 pm »

Thanks for this informative fact.  I didn't realize this and always loaded up on Shiva Furnaces.

Now death star (what I call my ship config since it blows away all life in the game in 4 seconds tops when within range) will devastate twice as fast as before.

8 spots for dynamos/Furnaces in my config once you get the hellbores, point defense, tracking modules, fuel tank, and crew pods out of the way.  16 available spots total for those who are keeping track.
lalaw

Email
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2002, 07:32:59 pm »

What I am interested in is what the impact of multiple point defense/tracking units does.

The Melnorme said the more defense units, the stronger the laser.  Also, he said tracking gets better up to 3 units..

Anyone know the algorithm that controls this?
Captain Smith

Email
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2002, 07:49:33 pm »

I thought I'd go ahead and run some numbers on the formula that was given to help explain things.

Some statements I can make out of seeing the numbers (if my calcs were all right)  This is assuming plugging in the appropriate numbers and following the formula out:

1) It is useless to have more than 3 dynamos.
2) The system acts in this way.  The dynamos increase the factor.  The furnaces doubles this factor for each furnace added.
3) For 8 spots, doing the math, the presence of the 3 dynamos really add up, almost doubling the power refresh rate.  This is really an impactful change.

The stats - dynamo factors (assuming no furnaces installed): 0 = .1 1 = .125 2 = .166 3 or greater .25

The stats - furnace effects: 1 furnace on it's own is .2, 1 furnace and 1 dynamo is .25, 2 furnaces is .3 (should be enough samples for you to get the general idea).

This is cool...and as the orz say "jumping peppers it's smiley time" (add the *'s)

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length