The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:37:51 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Hey Everyone! New Here, and need a little help...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Hey Everyone! New Here, and need a little help...  (Read 4477 times)
Technomancer
Zebranky food

View Profile
Hey Everyone! New Here, and need a little help...
« on: January 02, 2008, 11:10:00 pm »

I've never before played UQM or SCII and I'm having trouble in the very beginning of the game...once I find Earth, get threatened, I decided to run away to some random planetary system nearby. I get attacked by the weird drone things and then die...it is so tough to move the ship around to fight them since they are so much faster. Are all fights like that?  Undecided

Also, its really tough to understand what I need to do. I mean, I know i need to get to Earth, but once i get yelled at, then what?
Dakkus
Zebranky food

View Profile WWW
Re: Hey Everyone! New Here, and need a little help...
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 11:16:35 pm »

I've never before played UQM or SCII and I'm having trouble in the very beginning of the game...once I find Earth, get threatened, I decided to run away to some random planetary system nearby. I get attacked by the weird drone things and then die...it is so tough to move the ship around to fight them since they are so much faster. Are all fights like that?  Undecided

Also, its really tough to understand what I need to do. I mean, I know i need to get to Earth, but once i get yelled at, then what?

What makes you think the drone is actually going to summon somebody there? Maybe everyone's fled and there's nobody out there to come kill you and the drone's just fooling you. Whenever there's something that feels dangerous, just save the game and do what they just said you should not do. If you end up losing an ally, load the savegame and solve the situation differently Smiley
If you die while escaping anyway, what's the point of escaping?-)

And then.. Absolutely great hearing we've got new blood among us! Days of jubilation!

countchocula86
*Smell* controller

Culture 20!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 05:42:36 am »

Be brave my friend! Youre travelling in an ancient ship made by a highly advanced species on a mission to liberate earth! You must persevere!!

If the drone has gone off to find help, all the more reason for you to establish a base of operations even more. But youll need to find someone sympathetic to your cause. Perhaps the Starbase commander, he is human after all. He can't possibly want to be an Ur-Quan slave forever, can he?

I like to think you killed a man. It's the romantic in me.
Resh Aleph
*Smell* controller

Rottem Tomatoes

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 06:13:51 am »

Yeah, I always wondered why the Ur-Quan don't send anything. Surely they can spare a few Dreadnoughts per enslaved race, even during the Doctrinal Conflict.

Marines on Maulers and limpets on Earthlings  /  Bright Podship plasma and warm Kohr-Ah death rings  /
Shofixti Scouts doing gravity whips  /  These are a few of my favorite ships!
       © meep-eep
Koowluh
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 10:14:39 am »

Yeah, I always wondered why the Ur-Quan don't send anything. Surely they can spare a few Dreadnoughts per enslaved race, even during the Doctrinal Conflict.

*spoiler*

The drone is intercepted by the Ilwrath.

I hate drugs. Air is the worst one. Breathe it once and you're hooked for life.
Resh Aleph
*Smell* controller

Rottem Tomatoes

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 11:43:39 am »

Hey, that sounds familiar!
I guess I need to play the game again. Tongue

Marines on Maulers and limpets on Earthlings  /  Bright Podship plasma and warm Kohr-Ah death rings  /
Shofixti Scouts doing gravity whips  /  These are a few of my favorite ships!
       © meep-eep
Technomancer
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 12:30:46 pm »

Thanks guys...This games a little tricky to figure out, but it is still very very good for any game, and when I remember its from 1992 I realize how much better it must have been! :-)

So I am not supposed to be able to fight the encounter in deep space?
Megagun
Enlightened

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 12:53:47 pm »

Remember, you're on a mission to help Earth with fighting the Ur-Quan. When you find that the Earth is covered in a red shield, and that a drone approaches you which originates from the aliens you're on a mission to fight against, ofcourse you'll NOT run away and instead investigate the Earth and the Station orbiting around it.

From there, the game should pretty much give you hints about what to do..
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 02:12:11 pm »

I've never before played UQM or SCII and I'm having trouble in the very beginning of the game...once I find Earth, get threatened, I decided to run away to some random planetary system nearby.
A little more tenacity may help. Remember, you're limping into Sol with a barely functional starship and minimal fuel, and space is full of nasty stuff.

I get attacked by the weird drone things and then die...it is so tough to move the ship around to fight them since they are so much faster. Are all fights like that?  Undecided
I think you mean Probes, not Drones (the distinction will become clearer later on). Note that you have two ships at the start of the game; your flagship (the Vindicator or whatever you've named it) and an Earthling Cruiser. The flagship is utterly useless in combat at the start of the game; the Cruiser has homing missiles, short-large laser defences and is actually capable of some sort of manoeuvring.

In any case, it's not impossible to take the Probes out, but it would help to be better prepared. The fact that you are immediately attacked by ridiculous amounts of fast-moving and hard-to-destroy Probes at the start of the game should tell you something about your chosen plan of action.

Some exploration of Earth and its near vicinity, in order to determine what happened to Earth in the Ur-Quan war, is in order. After all, the drone said it was going away to get help, so you should have time to see if there's anyone around to help you before the Ur-Quan armada arrives on your doorstep and proceeds to enslave and/or annihilate you.

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
countchocula86
*Smell* controller

Culture 20!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 12:28:28 am »

I think the best advice I can give ya is save. Save often. Im sure lots of people got through this game on their first try; Im not nearly that skilled. I died....a lot. So just keep trying, learn from mistakes, practice certain ship v. ship combos in the melee.

Technomancer
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 12:58:08 pm »

Thanks a lot guys! I am now up to the Soq-Pot-Fot thingy! Just got enough resources to get the fuel to go there and back, so should go there now...and you're right...once u talk to the Hayes things get easier...but fights are still tough!!! Smiley

Technomancer
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 12:59:20 pm »

sorry for the double post ummmmm how do u free Earth from the shield?
Galactic
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 03:05:57 pm »

I don't think you're that far in the game yet. I can tell you, that happens in the very end of the game. Now, you should just explore   the space and listen to and talk to races there.

HINT:  you want to visit Alpha Centauri soon.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 03:09:14 pm by Galactic » Logged
countchocula86
*Smell* controller

Culture 20!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 05:28:57 pm »

sorry for the double post ummmmm how do u free Earth from the shield?
Thats pretty much your final goal, alongside defeating the Ur-Quan. The problem is the slave shield is a helluva piece of technology. Beyond our scope anyways. But there are several races who are much more advanced  than we are. One of them was even our ally in the first war. Talk to Hayes (the Starbase commander) about history and alien races.

Perhaps if you explore more, as youre building up allies, youll meet someone, or get hints on how to remove the slave shield.

(click to show/hide)

Technomancer
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 05:26:22 am »

So I got the Spathi to join me...yay Smiley Alpha Centauri has the weird trader people....buit i dont find anything they need... :/

Will the Ilwrath listen to me, or are they a lost cause??
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length