The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 10:38:35 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  What, what is going on??!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: What, what is going on??!  (Read 3639 times)
certainliquids
Zebranky food

View Profile
What, what is going on??!
« on: March 03, 2020, 05:55:05 pm »

Hello there!!

I am a new member but I have played ur-quan for years.
I have only just found out about this- any any other- ur-quan community.

I have played this game only ever with the base stuff, except with some different music maybe. I saw the ur-quanHD a while ago and disagreed with
(click to show/hide)
parts of it. The mega mod, however,  I did like the look of but anything that did not get modded by it was then instead used by the HD ver.  I have some burning questions here, can anyone help?

TL;DR I am a long time fan and only just found that other people exist. I have questions xd

• For said "megamod" is there a way to have it but for anything that is not  modded to be the vanilla and not be the HD mod?
  • Can I buy the steam starcontroll 1/2 and still use all mods and stuff on those games?
  • How can I help right now? I love and have loved this game so much
  • When using any mods do I need to start a new save?
  • When it comes to the next game, can someone explain? I have seen the post that they have made on the legal stuff but I dont see a solid conclusion.

Sorry for my ignorance,
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
Re: What, what is going on??!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 03:03:30 am »

MegaMod maintainer here.

1. If I am understanding your question correctly you can make MegaMod look and play exactly like normal UQM. In fact it comes like this by default and you have to turn all the extra stuff on yourself.
Except for a few things that I've had trouble with making an option for.

2. Mods for UQM are not compatible with Star Control 2 on either Steam or GOG.

3. Any suggestions, ideas, and bug reports always help.

4. Depends on what version of UQM your save is from. If it's from plain UQM or the HD-mod they will work in MegaMod. If it's from Star Control 2 on Steam/GOG then they will not.

5. Paul & Fred, the creators of Star Control 1 & 2, are under legal obligation to be quiet about the sequel to UQM for 2 years from the date of the settlement.

I hope that helps.

The artist once again known as Kohr-Ah Death 213.

Get your MegaMod HERE
certainliquids
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 03:30:43 am »

Yah thanks, got my answers.

On a different note, has there been any talk about the games sexist attributes and if they were gonna amend this in future games?
its the only flaw that bugs me to such an extent about uqm
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 03:50:28 am »

In the original game?

Probably not.

In the sequel, possibly.
But we don't have enough information currently to hazard a proper guess.

Star Control 2 / UQM are a product of the time they were made.
It would take a lot of work to undo the sexism... Especially with the Syreen.

Would need graphic artists, voice talent, writers, and C programmers that knew the code inside and out to make it halfway decent without stepping all over the story/lore.

But that would only work for UQM and the mods based off UQM. The games up on Steam/GOG can't be modded in that way at all.

EDIT:

Also, I was mistaken about your first question. There are some mod options on by default in the current release of the MegaMod.
This will not be the case in the next release. It will ship to look as vanilla as possible and the players can turn on options as they so desire.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 03:54:31 am by Serosis » Logged

The artist once again known as Kohr-Ah Death 213.

Get your MegaMod HERE
certainliquids
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 04:33:40 am »

Yeah sadly i know we cant fix the past- tis why we learn from it.
Will just hope for the best in the future. Thanks for filling me up to date  Cool
Schizoid
Zebranky food

aka SLY

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 10:53:56 am »

On a different note, has there been any talk about the games sexist attributes and if they were gonna amend this in future games?
its the only flaw that bugs me to such an extent about uqm

Oh, god... Leave at least UQM alone. Everything is beautiful there as it is. Just as beautiful were the relations of our mothers and fathers. Enjoy the modern sterile world without any flirting, taste and beautiful images and leave the classics alone.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 10:59:21 am by Schizoid » Logged

Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 02:19:01 pm »

Well, it depends what you're thinking of. Changing text isn't hard if you don't mind breaking the voice acting.
Kwayne
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 09:42:23 am »

Why would a fan of UQM change any attribute of UQM, or even assist to such an effort?

We're not talking much about the 'sexism' in UQM, because we can understand the distinction between our entertainment and our personal politics. If anything fans of UQM have to preserve it from the vandalism and subversion of people who can't.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 11:02:23 pm by Kwayne » Logged

Check dA for some of my non-art ... http://kwayne64.deviantart.com/
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 01:04:48 pm »

Why would a fan of UQM change any attribute of UQM, or even assist to such an effort?

We're not talking much about the 'sexism' in UQM, because we can understand the distinction between our entertainment and our personal politics. If anything fans of UQM have to preserve it from the vandalism and subversion of people who can't.

I'm with you. Also I find the whitewashing of history far more offensive. We can't learn from the past if we don't have one from which to grow. It's not like uqm is malicious or was intended to say that women should be this way.  It innocently emulated the science fiction world, particularly hollywood, that proceed it.  Which is certianly open to conversation, but who are we to say that this didn't exist?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 01:06:31 pm by darklord42 » Logged
Krulle
Enlightened

*Hurghi*! Krulle is *spitting* again!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2020, 03:24:13 pm »

At least it was so over the top, that it was easily recognisable as "rubbish".

Dangit, I've been trying to find that placeholder syreen comscreen image from Project 6014 (??) to paste into this conversation.
I'm giving up on that.
CelticMinstrel
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 12:49:41 am »

Oh, god... Leave at least UQM alone. Everything is beautiful there as it is. Just as beautiful were the relations of our mothers and fathers. Enjoy the modern sterile world without any flirting, taste and beautiful images and leave the classics alone.
I could make all sorts of observations about the in(s)anity of your comments here, but… I don't think anyone's gonna be modding UQM to remove the sexism. A full-fledged remake however, with an all-new engine and graphics and voices and stuff, would be a whole other story.
Kwayne
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 10:18:24 am »

Modders aside, It's much more likely that P&F would bend the knee and force some dumb, woke empowerment story into the Syreen part of Star Control lore, or undo the influence of golden age pulp sci-fi aesthetics and un-sexualize a race of space succubi. If and when that happens, remind me to quote Talana to them:

"In case you were wondering about me... don't worry. I'm doing fine!
In fact, I just talked with the designers and they have assured me
that the sequel will be all about me! Isn't that great!
They said they wanted to move away from the warrior mythos
and expand more into the healer cycle.
This may be my big chance!
The only thing I'm not sure about is the new costume they want me to wear.
They said this one would be REALLY revealing."

Schizoid
Zebranky food

aka SLY

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2020, 01:36:18 pm »

I could make all sorts of observations about the in(s)anity of your comments here, but… I don't think anyone's gonna be modding UQM to remove the sexism. A full-fledged remake however, with an all-new engine and graphics and voices and stuff, would be a whole other story.
Thanks for that, otherwise I already started to worry. #sarcasm

Obviously, no one will do this. My comment was a cry of the soul about the situation in the world as a whole, when some begin to have complaints even to such things as UQM. Although some of the nuances of my message could be lost when translating into English.

CelticMinstrel
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2020, 07:20:05 pm »

…what the heck? Forget I ever said anything. There's something fundamentally wrong with both of your viewpoints that I can't be bothered to grapple with.
Kwayne
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2020, 11:11:04 am »

Nah, you're just rude and condescending for no good reason.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length