The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:16:17 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  A guy can Dream can't he (SC Sequel)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: A guy can Dream can't he (SC Sequel)  (Read 7839 times)
CZone

Email
A guy can Dream can't he (SC Sequel)
« on: April 20, 2006, 04:03:26 am »

I would die a million times over with pure and utter joy if...

There existed a Starcontrol Massivly Multiplayer Online game.

Everyone would play as a ship captian for whatever race, you'd be able to fly around collecting resources from planets, or battling space Pirates, or evil Ur-Quan Remnants to gain experience and money which would let you upgrade your ships in various ways as well as increasing your abilities, letting you mine bigger scarier planets, blow up meaner bad ships, and whatnot.

Then the various storyline-quests could involve unlocking the mysteries of the precursers

You could even involve grouping into fleets for harder space encounters, or even "Raid Style" encounters where you need fleets of 20 or 30 other ships of various makes and styles to handle different aspects,  Earthling cruisers providing point defence, Pkunk Fury's spinning around taking out fast moving enemy projectiles,  Arilou's who can park themsevles next to the enemy engines without fear of colliding with them, thus slowing down the enemy -- etc etc.

XR4-IT
*Many bubbles*

The nuts Androsynth

View Profile WWW
Re: A guy can Dream can't he (SC Sequel)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 04:26:44 am »

That would be cool, but I think that it sould be done after the sequel.

Make this ever questesk game like some sort of sinp off.

TiLT
*Smell* controller

To boldly go where no Spathi has dared go before

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 06:37:49 am »

OMG OMG, I want to be a level 45 Melnorme Barbarian with a +5 Vorpal Eluder!

... Or maybe I don't think a Star Control MMORPG would be a good idea.

Halleck
Enlightened

Personal Text

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 08:00:26 am »

I would prefer a SC MMORPG to a remake of SC3... which isn't saying much.

Currently working on: Going outside more
Wahooney
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 08:54:01 am »

Uhhh, you guys do know that TFB want to make a SC sequel right? They've even setup a petition at sc2.sourceforge.net.
Neonlare
*Smell* controller

Nut Case for Star Control

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 10:27:56 am »

No no no! he's not talking about leveling! It'd be pure skill, like Counter-Strike, not this level up crap.

You guys just don't see this Sad.

"would newton's law theory actually work if a Chmmr Avatar did a backwards pelvic thrust towards a planet and would this constitute an X=Y-0 in the part it ran straight into a Supox Blade and lasted long enough to survive?" - Elerium (as Valaggar)
TiLT
*Smell* controller

To boldly go where no Spathi has dared go before

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 11:36:12 am »

...to gain experience and money which would let you upgrade your ships in various ways as well as increasing your abilities, letting you mine bigger scarier planets, blow up meaner bad ships, and whatnot.

How is this not leveling?

In my opinion, a SC MMORPG would remove everything that's unique and interesting about the Star Control games, namely the funny and engaging dialogue, the fast and responsive ship-to-ship combat, and the epic storyline where YOU make the main impact. If you know how to include those three things in a MMORPG, give me a call. You see, I have this bridge I'd like to sell...  Wink
Neonlare
*Smell* controller

Nut Case for Star Control

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 11:46:31 am »

...to gain experience and money which would let you upgrade your ships in various ways as well as increasing your abilities, letting you mine bigger scarier planets, blow up meaner bad ships, and whatnot.

How is this not leveling?

In my opinion, a SC MMORPG would remove everything that's unique and interesting about the Star Control games, namely the funny and engaging dialogue, the fast and responsive ship-to-ship combat, and the epic storyline where YOU make the main impact. If you know how to include those three things in a MMORPG, give me a call. You see, I have this bridge I'd like to sell...  Wink

Uh oh, did not see that, there should never, ever, be a leveling up system in a game where skill is needed, uuungh...

It would be nice to be able to change the fate of races though, you could have the Melnorme Players be the guys who supply the planets with supplies...

"would newton's law theory actually work if a Chmmr Avatar did a backwards pelvic thrust towards a planet and would this constitute an X=Y-0 in the part it ran straight into a Supox Blade and lasted long enough to survive?" - Elerium (as Valaggar)
Pyro411
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 06:45:27 pm »

:-) I vote for a race that's great for research & development with that race being able to create new items depending on how many RU they're willing to invest in it.
Griffin
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 03:20:59 pm »

Battlefield 2 has a level up system, and I think its very well implemented. And there could always be stuff you can buy with enough RU or Credits or what not to improve your fleet. This doesn't mean it wouldn't remain mostly a matter of skill...

Regardless, I think a Star Control MMO would be boring, so no.
Staffy Star

Email
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2006, 08:19:02 pm »

Lets face it. When the "real" star control 3 comes out, we will all be disappointed. It's like starwars episode one, blues brothers 2000 and doom 3. Releases several years after the original thing never realy works. However I belive that  star control 3 will be a very very good game although not as good as teh original.

This is mostly written with spelling correction so no talk about engrish please!
Amerikaner som aldrig vill lära sig någon annans språk Smiley
guesst
Enlightened

Ancient Shofixti Warrior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2006, 08:33:58 pm »

Lets face it. When the "real" star control 3 comes out, we will all be disappointed. It's like starwars episode one, blues brothers 2000 and doom 3.

Hey, the only thing wrong with Doom 3 was the running around with the lights off. No body expected awesome story. They wanted blood, gore, and the next generation of 3D graphics. Doom 3 delivered. What nobody expected was the necessity of finding a bad guy with your flash light, lowering your flash light and empyting 20 rounds into the dark, raising your flash light and seeing the monster still bearing down on you, emptying another 20 rounds into the dark, raising your flash light again and then hitting the monster with your flashlight for the kill. That flashlight killed more monsters in mars base than the BFG or soul cube combined.

But as for next generation game play, the interactive menus on in game objects, hey, that was cool. And the graphics, pretty.

Now episode 1 sucked, true. If you pinned George down I'll be he'll even admit he spent too much time thinking about special effects and not enough time thinking about story and charater development. I am seriously praying that UQM2 doesn't fall into that trap. But even if it does, I'm shelling out my hard earned cash. Heck, I bought Star Control 3 after reading the novel. If that doesn't show I posess a serious lack of financial judgement where sequels are concerned nothing will.

A new game and it's code each week. Please visit Cymon's Games
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2006, 10:40:23 pm »

Lets face it. When the "real" star control 3 comes out, we will all be disappointed. It's like starwars episode one, blues brothers 2000 and doom 3. Releases several years after the original thing never realy works. However I belive that  star control 3 will be a very very good game although not as good as teh original.
Sure, bad sequels aren't uncommon, especially when someone is trying to cash in on a successful earlier movie/game/whatever. On the other hand, classics can sometimes get sequels that improve on the game without losing its essence (such sequels include: System Shock 2, Monkey Island 3, Star Control 2). Besides, I strongly doubt TFB would do UQM2 just for the money.

This is mostly written with spelling correction so no talk about engrish please!
Amerikaner som aldrig vill lära sig någon annans språk Smiley
Alla era bas är tillhöra oss! Wink

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Arne
Enlightened

Yak!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2006, 01:37:22 am »

Herzog Zweii, Dune II, Megaman 2, Elite Frontier, Paradroid 90, Utopia K240, Pinball Fantasies to mention a few more 2's, but what about 3's?. Are 3's different from 2's?

Milda makaroner vad det ryker ur farmors ödla!
Staffy Star

Email
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2006, 02:36:10 am »

All these doesnt count! The prequel were still "in the times" when the sequel were released.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length