The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:20:35 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Needed! Staff for Project!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Needed! Staff for Project!  (Read 10719 times)
Neonlare
*Smell* controller

Nut Case for Star Control

View Profile
Needed! Staff for Project!
« on: January 27, 2007, 11:01:45 pm »

Howdy, after much brain storming, I have decided, that I want to work on a fan-game...

Yesh, after much time, changing the sprites and so on, I want to make a game that isn't a pure out-and-out clone of Star Control 2, but rather a tribute, tracking down the story of another group of characters involved in the Battles after the Grand Seige.

But, like I said at the top, I do need some help with coding, I'm more of a graphics man myself, but since I want this to be NESified (NSF style music, pallette limit, etc) then that section does not need much focus, so I'll try to do as much coding as I can, but I'm very amaturish at the coding thing :/.

Why help? Well, I think it'd add an extra dimension to the Story of Star Control, asking questions and answering them, but all in all, to make something fun. That's the major issue.

So far I've got done:

GRAPHICS:

Logo

Hunam "Base"

PLOT:
(Chapter is just a quest arc, like the Umgah Caster in SC2).

First Chapter done

Second Chapter done

Third Chapter done

Fourth Chapter done

Misc Chapters done

SOUND:

VSTis for NSF style music in Fruity Loops

CODING:

None so far, but can code directional movement, etc, on Game Maker 6.

NEED TO DO:

GRAPHICS:

Other Race "Bases"

Enemies

Portraits

Title Screen Intro

Cinematics

PLOT:

Several tweaks and modifications

SOUND:

Midis for Conversion

Custom Music

Sound Effects

CODING:

Almost everything Sad.

Of course, I want to get this off of the ground, hell I really want to get something like this done, as it'll help boost the reputation of SC...

"would newton's law theory actually work if a Chmmr Avatar did a backwards pelvic thrust towards a planet and would this constitute an X=Y-0 in the part it ran straight into a Supox Blade and lasted long enough to survive?" - Elerium (as Valaggar)
Jumping *Peppers*
Frungy champion

Not a Fot

View Profile
Re: Needed! Staff for Project!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 02:08:47 am »

Huh, this looks promising. Btw, if you're looking for some free chiptune music, try modarchive.com...

Quote from: Arne, on the origin of the Mycon
Maybe a precursor were just like "Hey I built this mushroom thing, it can traavel between plaaanets!" and the others were like "Yaaaay!" and then they all deliriously clapped their hands and giggled like little schoolgirls.
Neonlare
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 02:36:02 am »

Heh, I know about ModArchive aswell as Chip-On, but I need schtuff that's in Star Control mindframe.

Also, here's the human base so far. It's Octo-Metric Cheesy.

[EDIT]

Well, this is a good reworking of the Yehat Theme, ALTHOUGH only string effects were added, it makes the music more epicish http://mywebpage.netscape.com/tonyvarinatv/yehat_with_strings.s3m...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 02:47:33 am by Neonlare » Logged

"would newton's law theory actually work if a Chmmr Avatar did a backwards pelvic thrust towards a planet and would this constitute an X=Y-0 in the part it ran straight into a Supox Blade and lasted long enough to survive?" - Elerium (as Valaggar)
darkheart
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 11:04:50 am »

can I help???

it's been a WHILE since i've done real coding but i think i can get through
i can also work with html and photoshop

In Soviet Russia, ORZ *Frumples* YOU!
Neonlare
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 01:51:53 pm »

It would be great if you could help, but first thing first, we need to identify what engine we'll use. Game Maker is good for small projects, but makes files a lot larger than should be, and isn't exactly that powerful. That's one of the only ones I know that is suitable for this kind of thing :/.

Jumping *Peppers*
Frungy champion

Not a Fot

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 07:56:57 pm »

Woah woah woah. You're making a big strategy game with Game Maker?

No offence, but GM is kinda terrible for stuff like that. I'm not sure what else you could use, though...

Maybe a precursor were just like "Hey I built this mushroom thing, it can traavel between plaaanets!" and the others were like "Yaaaay!" and then they all deliriously clapped their hands and giggled like little schoolgirls.
Neonlare
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 08:33:45 pm »

Didn't say that, I even said it was a no-no :/.

Jumping *Peppers*
Frungy champion

Not a Fot

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 11:29:53 pm »

Okay nevermind. I must've read your post wrong. >_>

Would you mind posting the plot? I'd like to read what you have so far.

youBastrd
Frungy champion

It's real velour, just let yourself go.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 12:15:00 am »

For relatively small projects, good engines include Torque Game Builder (ie Torque 2D) and Flash.  Both are fairly quick to pick up. 

Torque is dirt cheap ($100/seat or so depending on the exact requirements of the license) plus you get all of its source.  There are a few books on the topic, although they focus on the 3D versions of Torque.  Documentation is relatively good, but in some cases you'll end up experimenting with the API just to figure out what things do.  You might also consider using an IDE for it called Torsion, some friends swear by it.  There is the potential of porting Torque games to XNA (Microsoft's watered-down version of DirectX) making it suitable for XBox Live. Smiley  There is also a pile of code for making web-downloadable versions of Torque games, but this is still experimental.  Hardware acceleration, fairly good API, fairly good built-in WYSIWYG interface, cheap licensing. 

Flash is fairly quick to pick up and crank out small games.  There are quite a few games made with it.  Obviously it's playable in a web browser straight out of the box.  Documentation is fairly good, there are many books and webpages on it.  The IDE is pretty expensive, though, I think the pro version is something like $800 US/seat.  For complex games, getting good performance can be very tricky.  There are lots and lots of tricks for optimising Flash games, and not all of them are as well documented as the basics. 

Other less likely candidates include: DarkBasic, Panda3D

Best of luck!

Neonlare
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 06:48:50 pm »

Thanks for the input! Also, about the plot, here goes...

Two years after the fall of the Sa-Matra, the Alliance are slowly winning the war. The Ur-Quan, desperate to achieve victory, begin releasing species from "Prison Planets" which have a black slave shield compared to the red. These races were deemed too "un-ethical" to become Battle Thralls, or even Slavers...

Meanwhile, the Alliance has had it's numbers greatly boosted. Thanks to the added strength of the newly freed forces of the Fjorn, who manage to break out of the shield by themselves, and a robotic sub-servant race called the Schen.

The Schen are the last survivors of a slave planet previously owned by the Ur-Quan. The original slave race died off as their plant-life could not adjust to photo-synthesis under the shield. However, their World A.I (Like a super computer, which controls the entire planet's systems) developed sentience under these conditions, and began to produce "fingers" for it's ambitions.

These droids were not entirely mindless however, as opertation as far as several thousand miles away from the A.I  did hamper the communications between both. As such the droids mostly acted in packs, to protect themselves against the wild elements now present on the planet.

The planet was liberated by the Syreen, and as such the Schen proclaimed loyalty to the Alliance no matter what; a reason to exist for them.

Yet, far in the corners of VUX space, experiments into things that should not happen go on, and soon, beings will *smell* their pressence...

JonoPorter
Enlightened

Don't mess with the US.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 07:13:58 pm »

XNA (Microsoft's watered-down version of DirectX)

What do you mean?

There are none so blind as those who will not see. — Jonathan Swift

My Remake of UQM.
My 2D physics engine
Both are written in C#.
Jumping *Peppers*
Frungy champion

Not a Fot

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 09:11:23 pm »

Sounds pretty good so far, the Schen seem like an interesting race. Oh, and I completely forgot about Torque! *smacks head* That would be perfect for what you're planning, if you could afford it.

Also, I'm assuming this will be an isometric game? (i.e. Final Fantasy Tactics, or X-Com)

Neonlare
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 09:34:56 pm »

In a certain sense, yesh. But, imagine it with 8 directions (octo), then you have Octo-Metric Cheesy.

But yeah, until I get some serious bad-ass and hard-core coders on the scene, all I can reeaaally do now is, well, graphics :/.

darkheart
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 09:37:18 pm »

just dont make it look like SC3 Hyper-Melee

and what coders are they?

In Soviet Russia, ORZ *Frumples* YOU!
Neonlare
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 10:51:39 pm »

People like Geomancer, YouB*strd, And others I've yet to encounter XD.

Well, here's the most recent base so far, what we really need at this moment is an engine, I don't have enough money for that Torque, but I do have Flash. Maybe we could do a port of Super Melee to flash first, to get to grips with it? Or maybe we should just skip flash in it's entirety and find something else :/.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length