The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 11:27:25 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Dictator Bush?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Dictator Bush?  (Read 8221 times)
xenoclone
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
Dictator Bush?
« on: May 24, 2007, 07:57:51 pm »

Maybe I'm crazy, but can someone tell me how this does not sound scary?
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2007/05/20070509-12.html

"The President shall lead the activities of the Federal Government for ensuring constitutional government"

"a cooperative effort among the executive, legislative, and judicial branches of the Federal Government, coordinated by the President..."

It seems a little vague. So when the president declares an emergency, he leads activities to fight the emergency, and only "coordinates" the branches. But he doesn't have to listen to them since he's the lead?

KanmuX
Zebranky food

Very Ugly Xenoform

View Profile
Re: Dictator Bush?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 09:15:58 pm »

Old news. Refer here: http://www.oldamericancentury.org/14pts.htm

You may also want to check out the ACLU's website too.
xenoclone
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 10:38:46 pm »

I know the parallels have been tossed around before, but what I've linked to was just signed by GW within the last couple of weeks!  Shocked

It's just getting worse and worse...

Shiver

Email
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 11:20:31 pm »

Can you explain the context to that? I mean, it looks like something congress will just laugh at before they vote it down.
Defender
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 01:33:25 am »

I have  a "what if" scenario that me and my wife have discussed to some length.

Let's say sometime between now and when Bush's term is up that something horrible happens on American soil, be it a nuke, biological or some other mass kill agent. It would give Bush the power to suspend normal government, put him in complete control of the military and enable him to carry out any command without any checks to his power.

I see a very real possibility that could happen whether it a real terrorist act or one that is set in motion by our own president so he can take over.

I know what your thinking... get the tin foil hats it's another conspiracy theory. Really it's not paranoia when you KNOW there out to get you. And being intelligent we can see some serious things going on in America that truly scares the hell out of me. Let's hope I'm wrong...for all our sakes.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 02:14:38 am by DEFIANT » Logged
JonoPorter
Enlightened

Don't mess with the US.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 02:51:31 am »

Congress can’t "shoot" it down since it’s an Executive order. 

Anyways what’s the big deal? Clinton had the same thing and so did presidents before him. 

There are none so blind as those who will not see. — Jonathan Swift

My Remake of UQM.
My 2D physics engine
Both are written in C#.
Zeep-Eeep
Enlightened

Good Grief

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 08:03:06 pm »

As messed up as we can be sometimes, I do enjoy living North of the
border.

O Canada....

Ususally our nut-jobs are back benchers that toss around crazy ideas to get
attention before they're voted down.

What sound does a penguin make?
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 06:44:00 pm »

Not being an American, I'm always amazed at how people seem to assume that Bush is setting himself up to be a dictator. Sure, the whole Iraq fiasco isn't exactly a confidence boost, but a dictator? Just because someone is incompetent it doesn't make them evil.

What's up doc?
xenoclone
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 08:08:55 pm »

It's just a lot of little things. Did you know that Ashscroft wanted to add more power to the PATRIOT Act? It included things like the government arresting people and not releasing a list of who they've taken.. i.e. it would have been legal for them to abduct people and tell no one.

I think when they all add up, you just start to suspect. It's not necessarily Bush that could be corrupt and abuse what he's put in place. But there's no guarantee someone in the future might not.

Shiver

Email
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 11:20:23 am »

Sorry xeno, I don't like President Bush either but you really need to put down more substance if you're going to bash him. Hear-say just doesn't cut it.

For example, take this mile-long list of scandals the white house is involved in with multiple sources backing everything up: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2405178
(The page shows a dogpile of ads to anyone that isn't registered, sorry for this in advance)
xenoclone
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 07:47:13 pm »

No source? It's a web forum, lol.

Patriot act II was real: http://www.wired.com/politics/law/news/2003/02/57636

Is a good list, though not the official document I admit. Seriously, I don't even see how anyone can defend him at times. And I'm definitely not a flaming liberal. Heck, my fiancee is a registered republican. Sometimes you just gotta think for yourself above political lines, ya know?

JonoPorter
Enlightened

Don't mess with the US.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 10:05:52 pm »

Seriously, I don't even see how anyone can defend him at times.
Why should his actions be defended? Every single accusation I seen leveled at him have range from peoples’ misunderstanding of the law to unsubstantiated claims to incoherent ravings of lunatics and even outright lies. I have not seen anyone actually have proof of a crime. And you know if there was any proof of actual wrong doing congress would have already started the impeachment process (since it is controlled by the democrats).

My Remake of UQM.
My 2D physics engine
Both are written in C#.
Shiver

Email
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 11:11:45 pm »

Oh boy, this is going to be a fun topic.  Roll Eyes

Quote from: xenoclone
Patriot act II was real

I know. Old news. Remember how that thing didn't come anywhere near becoming law because even the Bush adminstration knew how over the top that was?

Quote from: xenoclone
No source? It's a web forum, lol.

What you're saying is essentially an enormous cop-out. "I don't have to actually put any thought into my posts because I'm on TEH INTATNIT." Don't be a fool. Also, I did just give you a treasure trove of all the dirt on Bush that's being investigated, thanks for ignoring it.

Quote from: BioSlayer
Why should his actions be defended? Every single accusation I seen leveled at him have range from peoples’ misunderstanding of the law to unsubstantiated claims to incoherent ravings of lunatics and even outright lies. I have not seen anyone actually have proof of a crime. And you know if there was any proof of actual wrong doing congress would have already started the impeachment process (since it is controlled by the democrats).

You are right. They should not be defended under any circumstances. Leave immediately.
JonoPorter
Enlightened

Don't mess with the US.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 01:22:37 am »

You are right. They should not be defended under any circumstances.
Yes! I see your point! By not defending them you allow all the imbeciles in the world to reveal themselves as who they truly are; and they will all be ridiculed! Shiver you are a genius!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 03:09:36 am by BioSlayer » Logged

My Remake of UQM.
My 2D physics engine
Both are written in C#.
xenoclone
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2007, 08:13:13 am »

@Shiver

Well I didn't think sources were necessary since I wasn't trying to spark a big debate. Though in retrospect looking at the topic I'd definitely say I'm not sure why I didn't expect a debate. Smiley

Ya, Patriot Act II is old news. But I was just making the point that there's a lot of little "attempts" at undermining freedom in this administration that it just gets old. I mean, I think we can all agree it's just sad that A: anyone suspects an American government of trying to reduce freedoms and B: there's actually some decent evidence that it's tried. (See the list you linked to.)

The new NSPD that I linked to at the beginning just bugs me because there seems to be a lot of apathy. I don't care if Bush or Clinton or Whoever writes something up like that. It's like Americans are so worn out with terrorist scares, Iraq concerns, Iranian nuclear ambition, etc.. that when something goofy like this gets signed, we all just shrug and say, "Meh, is that it?"

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length